Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential coaches...

If Bennett can't beat Gonzaga, what's the basis for thinking he can beat Arizona or Oregon? I just don't get it, other than he's the obvious local name. It's not clear to me that Cal is more attractive to recruit for than St. Mary's and may be tougher, given the academic standards. I'd rather go for someone outside the box, like Gates, to see if we can somehow break out of miasma we're in.

I'd go with a young mid major coach or a young high major assistant. Both of whom need to be able to recruit and Cal needs to belly up to the bar and build a practice facility as nice as what they built the swim team.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    If Bennett can't beat Gonzaga, what's the basis for thinking he can beat Arizona or Oregon?
    Do you mean this year's Gonzaga, or Gonzaga in general? It's not like Saint Mary's is plucking ESPN Top 100 recruits or future NBA draft picks, half the roster is Australian, and the others are in-state guys who would not be given a chance at a Power 5 program. Bennett would have gotten a lot more out of our team this year than Martin.

Eric Musselman would be my choice. He has NBA experience, comes from a basketball family (he has been coaching since he was 23). And he lives in the east bay.

I watch a lot of Mountain West Basketball and what he has done at UNR is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by btsktr View Post
    Eric Musselman would be my choice. He has NBA experience, comes from a basketball family (he has been coaching since he was 23). And he lives in the east bay.

I watch a lot of Mountain West Basketball and what he has done at UNR is amazing.
    Yes. Should be in top 3. Can he recruit?

recruiting is paramount. how do we keep baker ??

Quote Originally Posted by R.Hobbs View Post
    I'd go with a young mid major coach or a young high major assistant. Both of whom need to be able to recruit and Cal needs to belly up to the bar and build a practice facility as nice as what they built the swim team.
    Jeff Capel has been Duke's top recruiter for several years. Experience at Oklahoma and VCU. Needs a rehab assignment to beat out Chris Collins in the K sweepstakes. Pair him up with Gates or Theo as assts.

Cal Aquatics raised the $s and did the deal themselves. Won't get vetoed if hoops donors go the same route.

Quote Originally Posted by GB54 View Post
    Hopefully they are names not speculated on here as it will indicate Williams knows what he is doing
    Given Williams' track record, he doesn't know what he's doing. Likely a contributing factor in Cuonzo's leaving.

Loyal Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Uthaithani View Post
    Given Williams' track record, he doesn't know what he's doing. Likely a contributing factor in Cuonzo's leaving.
    You didn't like the Dykes firing and Wilcox hiring? That gives me hope.

Did you really mean "has been in coaching since he was 23"? Or, rather, "has had 23 different jobs since he's been in coaching"?

Fwiw Eric Mussleman makes pennies at Nevada.

I agree with Musselman. Bonus: he's beaten SDSU!

Dream case would be Randy Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by CalFan4Ever View Post
    I agree with Musselman. Bonus: he's beaten SDSU!

Dream case would be Randy Bennett
    Yuk, Bennett would be my third backup guy... my "safety school".

Don't ask me who my top guys would be, 'cause I don't know, but I know a backup when I see one.

Travis Decuire.

He's a very good recruiter. He started building a good program at Montana. His teams finished first, second and fourth in three years. This year's team was young. Getting Ahmaad Rorie as a transfer from Oregon was a good get - and a sign, again, that he can recruit.
    Last edited by WhatABonanza; 03-15-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BearDevil View Post
    Jeff Capel has been Duke's top recruiter for several years. Experience at Oklahoma and VCU. Needs a rehab assignment to beat out Chris Collins in the K sweepstakes. Pair him up with Gates or Theo as assts.
    Capel is the designated successor to Coach K, and while he may not be up to par with what is expected for whoever coaches Duke after Coach K leaves, he gains nothing by going to another school for a few years, and would just undermine himself in his path to replacing Coach K.