Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential coaches...

Mike Montgmery might come back. Shocky what do you make about this?

Quote Originally Posted by WhatABonanza View Post
    Travis Decuire.

He's a very good recruiter. He started building a good program at Montana. His teams finished first, second and fourth in three years. This year's team was young. Getting Amad Rorie as a transfer from Oregon was a good get - and a sign, again, that he can recruit.
    Decuire had Rorie committed and signed to Cal. That he got him at Montana wasn't some stellar recruiting job by him.

Here's a random name: Shareef Abdur-Rahim. Came back to Cal and got his degree, lives in Sacramento. Current job is in the front office of the Kings.

Quote Originally Posted by drewstapes View Post
    Here's a random name: Shareef Abdur-Rahim. Came back to Cal and got his degree, lives in Sacramento. Current job is in the front office of the Kings.
    Kings assistant coach for 2 years. Would be a home-run hire.

Correction - apparently he got sick of the Kings disfunction. He now works for the NBA league office.

Quote Originally Posted by Strykur View Post
    Kings assistant coach for 2 years. Would be a home-run hire.
    More like a Half-Court shot. A low percentage hire. Hasn't been a head coach anywhere, no info known about his recruiting ability, or ability to run a program.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    If Bennett can't beat Gonzaga, what's the basis for thinking he can beat Arizona or Oregon? I just don't get it, other than he's the obvious local name. It's not clear to me that Cal is more attractive to recruit for than St. Mary's and may be tougher, given the academic standards. I'd rather go for someone outside the box, like Gates, to see if we can somehow break out of miasma we're in.
    Bennett has beaten Gonzaga. He swept Gonzaga in the regular season just last year. So not sure what you're getting at. And if you think it would be easier to get an Ivan Rabb or Jaylen Brown to Saint Mary's than a Cal ... Regardless of academic issues, almost all big-time recruits will pick a Power 5 over a mid-major any year with all things being equal (i.e. scholarships to both schools, doesn't feel strongly or feels just as strongly for both coaches, both in the same overarching metropolitan area so you're not comparing Seattle to Manteca, etc).

That said, Bennett would never leave Saint Mary's for Cal just like Few would never leave Gonzaga for Cal. So it doesn't matter if he's your third backup choice if he wouldn't ever be interested anyway.

Shareef quit the Kings almost 3 years ago and sued the team. I doubt he's still in Sacramento.

I would like to see us hire someone with either a Cal connection or west coast one. At least that gives us a better chance of retaining them longer term.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander670 View Post

That said, Bennett would never leave Saint Mary's for Cal just like Few would never leave Gonzaga for Cal. So it doesn't matter if he's your third backup choice if he wouldn't ever be interested anyway.
    That depends on what he's making at St Mary's. Common sense tells me he's not going to turn down a $500k raise for instance when he wouldn't even have to relocate.

Quote Originally Posted by Uthaithani View Post
    That CSU Bakersfield coach is looking pretty good. Kicked Martin's behind twice at Haas.

I hope the Bozeman suggestion was a joke, because it should be.
    Get a sense of humor, please.

Quote Originally Posted by 89Bear View Post
    Who do people think would be on a list of potential Bear coaches?
    Jim Les?

I wonder if Richard Midgley would have an interest in coaching? I believe he is now an NBA scout after leaving Modesto Christian. I imagine Cal will go with a coach with college coaching experience. I thought Travis Decuire would have been a good choice when Martin got the job.

Quote Originally Posted by TexWoodyGiants View Post
    Jim Les?

I wonder if Richard Midgley would have an interest in coaching? I believe he is now an NBA scout after leaving Modesto Christian. I imagine Cal will go with a coach with college coaching experience. I thought Travis Decuire would have been a good choice when Martin got the job.
    Have you seen Davis play? Pretty much the ugliest offense I've seen00 uglier than Cuonzo. They basically all play like Coleman drive the lane and pray for a call.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    More like a Half-Court shot. A low percentage hire. Hasn't been a head coach anywhere, no info known about his recruiting ability, or ability to run a program.
    +1

The Final Four is a great gathering of coaches and assistants. The timing should allow for a good search.