Thread: What if Theo had Monty as his asst/guru to start out?

What if Theo had Monty as his asst/guru to start out?

Interesting possibility: What if Theo were the new HC and he had Monty on his staff for the first couple of years, as an assistant/guru? Monty might be interested if he could set his own hours and avoid the parts of the job he doesn't like. The weak part of Theo's resume is experience coaching a top college basketball team and Monty knows just a thing or two there.

(That kind of stuff sounds great but never really happens, does it? Oh well...)

Review of other candidates:

Travis DeCuire: I actually like this. Many thought he was ready three years ago. Now he is even more ready. He knows Cal and can recruit the area. Is he interested in coming back?

Eric Musselman: Not bad. He's great on the basketball end. I'm worried that he jumps jobs a lot and seems to always rub some people the wrong way, but this wouldn't be bad.

Dennis Gates: I have never been quite the Gates fan that some people seem to be. Long story. I vote "no" (like I get a vote, lol).

Randy Bennett: Wouldn't be bad, I guess, but I am not a fan. No.

Somebody else: It's almost certainly going to be somebody else, isn't it? Like three years ago, when dozens of candidates were mentioned here, then Cuonzo was the surprise, last-minute pick.
    Last edited by Big C_Cal; 03-16-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    Interesting possibility: What if Theo were the new HC and he had Monty on his staff for the first couple of years, as an assistant/guru? Monty might be interested if he could set his own hours and avoid the parts of the job he doesn't like. The weak part of Theo's resume is experience coaching a top college basketball team and Monty knows just a thing or two there.

(That kind of stuff sounds great but never really happens, does it? Oh well...)

Review of other candidates:

Travis DeCuire: I actually like this. Many thought he was ready three years ago. Now he is even more ready. He knows Cal and can recruit the area. Is he interested in coming back?

Eric Musselman: Not bad. He's great on the basketball end. I'm worried that he jumps jobs a lot and seems to always rub some people the wrong way, but this wouldn't be bad.

Dennis Gates: I have never been quite the Gates fan that some people seem to be. Long story. I vote "no" (like I get a vote, lol).

Randy Bennett: Wouldn't be bad, I guess, but I am not a fan. No.

Somebody else: It's almost certainly going to be somebody else, isn't it? Like three years ago, when dozens of candidates were mentioned here, then Cuonzo was the surprise, last-minute pick.
    I think with this list you have to put Turner into the mix. He won't be shocked (coming from Irvine) as to the cost of living in the East Bay. He "knows" UC and so won't be shocked like someone like Musselman will be with the "UC" way. He resume at Irvine is decent.

Now if we could make a P5 coach our hire (or a sucessful Mid-Major over a sustained period of time) that works better but there are as many plusses with Turner as there are with the names on this list.

Works for me: Turner is on the list! How do you think he compares to Gates, Bennett or Musselman?

Monty is not coming back. This makes no sense since when he left he wanted Decuire to follow in his footsteps and Cal pooh-poohed that idea. He's not coming back to save Cal now.

Then hire Decuire now

Theo is 30. It isn't like he is a kid. I know the argument that he hasn't had the seasoning but basketball is a different animal. Kerr went from TV booth to a championship. Coach K and Knight were in their 20's when they got their first chance. I am not implying Theo is in that class but you have it or you don't. If the hiring committee thinks he has it then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbear View Post
    Theo is 30. It isn't like he is a kid. I know the argument that he hasn't had the seasoning but basketball is a different animal. Kerr went from TV booth to a championship. Coach K and Knight were in their 20's when they got their first chance. I am not implying Theo is in that class but you have it or you don't. If the hiring committee thinks he has it then go for it.
    You're right. Theo learned good fundamental basketball at DLS and at Cal. His year (or were there two?) with the Warriors let him inside excellence at the highest level. That and some time with the Lakers only gives him more credibility in recruiting.

If he really wants the job and if he's got a plan to hire a staff that compliments his resume... boom.

Can we schedule a press conference?

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdbear View Post
    Theo is 30. It isn't like he is a kid.
    Well, he's not a man. I believe you have to be 40.

For those who want to hire Decuire, why is he a better candidate than Turner. I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious. Cause they seem to have the same advantages, except Turner has a better track record.

Why don't we get someone on campus to program a computer and software to be our coach? We could call it "Cal Guy", cheaper and he never leaves.

Rotating BI posters. Every one here knows more about strategy than any coach ever hired.

The Cal basketball app, we sell it and make millions. The team is a sidelight.

Quote Originally Posted by GB54 View Post
    Why don't we get someone on campus to program a computer and software to be our coach? We could call it "Cal Guy", cheaper and he never leaves.
    Our luck, "Cal guy" would crash right before tip-off.