Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Montgomery........

Mike Montgomery........

Mike Williams aside; Dear Coach Mike, As [at least] one retired "Mike" to another.....PLEASE pay a Drop In visit to Mr. Williams
    and take your H.C. Job back, at lease on an interim basis. Say one year. At the very least there is some Cuonzo $$bucks$$
    incentive there for you. P L E A S E

Nope. A three-year side trip is enough.

A retread who is 70 is probably not the way to go in the current PAC-12.

Quote Originally Posted by Strykur View Post
    A retread who is 70 is probably not the way to go in the current PAC-12.
    I doubt he wants it, but I for one would be happy to have him...

Go Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    I doubt he wants it, but I for one would be happy to have him...

Go Bears!
    I don't know, ya'll know how I feel about Monty, but what could he really accomplish in one year, especially if Charlie doesn't stay? I believe he could maybe minimize the damage, maybe prevent a year like OSU or UW had this year. As good as I think he is, he's not going to the Final Four next year. And if he is only hired for one year, you're almost giving up a year of recruiting at time when getting quality big men to replace Lee and K2 is crucial. If we're going to wish for something that's probably never going to happen, I like the idea of hiring him as an assistant coach / mentor for a younger coach.

Mostly, I'm going to enjoy listening to him as commentator.

Cal Men's Basketball needs a stabilizing force right now. Wyking Jones is a good man, worthy of consideration for staying on. But has the 'other shoe dropped' for the program ? Charlie (not suggesting he will or will not) going with Cuonzo??? Recruits re-considering ?? They can get out off their NLI's if they choose....how many times have wee seen this before! MM is as highly reputed and respected a coach as there is. IMO best we've had since LPN (L= legendary).
    Mike....PLEASE come back for 1 year, re-evaluate and hire Asst Coaches (yes the new HC can change them). Get a serious basketball mind set on board albeit as a TEMP.

Quote Originally Posted by LOUMFSG2 View Post
    I don't know, ya'll know how I feel about Monty, but what could he really accomplish in one year, especially if Charlie doesn't stay? I believe he could maybe minimize the damage, maybe prevent a year like OSU or UW had this year. As good as I think he is, he's not going to the Final Four next year. And if he is only hired for one year, you're almost giving up a year of recruiting at time when getting quality big men to replace Lee and K2 is crucial. If we're going to wish for something that's probably never going to happen, I like the idea of hiring him as an assistant coach / mentor for a younger coach.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by LOUMFSG2 View Post

Do we not remember the "Shove" and how close that could have been blown up near the end of his HoF coaching career? I am glad situation was dealt with and all parties involved were able to turn the page and move on. My view is that situation was due to the many years as HC of a program and pressures that come along with HC duties.

Last edited by gobears; 03-18-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Real Bear
    East of Tomales Bay; west of Eagle Lake; south of Sauvie Island; north of Pismo Beach
    Hey, Coach Monte. It's time to make those recruiting visits.

Oh....I can do what?

The program needs to make an investment in someone young enough who will stay long enough to build a whole new culture. Forget about the next couple of years, and forget about the MM's of the world. Look around and see how many of the mid-majors have built good programs with young highly motivated coaches, who have stayed for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR2dBONE View Post
    Cal Men's Basketball needs a stabilizing force right now. Wyking Jones is a good man, worthy of consideration for staying on. But has the 'other shoe dropped' for the program ? Charlie (not suggesting he will or will not) going with Cuonzo??? Recruits re-considering ?? They can get out off their NLI's if they choose....how many times have wee seen this before! MM is as highly reputed and respected a coach as there is. IMO best we've had since LPN (L= legendary).
    Mike....PLEASE come back for 1 year, re-evaluate and hire Asst Coaches (yes the new HC can change them). Get a serious basketball mind set on board albeit as a TEMP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonbob View Post
    The program needs to make an investment in someone young enough who will stay long enough to build a whole new culture. Forget about the next couple of years, and forget about the MM's of the world. Look around and see how many of the mid-majors have built good programs with young highly motivated coaches, who have stayed for a long time.
    Couldn't Cuonzo have been that guy, from what we knew when he was hired?

Then, despite a fairly unimpressive 3 years on the court considering the level of talent, another school nearly doubles his alarm, and he leaves.

How so we avoid that, especially if we have a coach who actually achieves real success?

We would lose Lee, right? Charlie, who else? Do you really want MM filling 7 slots with 2 stars and then not even staying around to coach them? We'd have the worst of both worlds (again). We need to get a coach that can recruit and wants to stay and build a program. Now, Monty as an offensive advisor/assistant, that we could all agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
    We would lose Lee, right? Charlie, who else? Do you really want MM filling 7 slots with 2 stars and then not even staying around to coach them? We'd have the worst of both worlds (again). We need to get a coach that can recruit and wants to stay and build a program. Now, Monty as an offensive advisor/assistant, that we could all agree on.
    Not that Monty is coming as a head coach, assistant or otherwise, but no, we wouldn't lose Lee. Where's he going to go, Div II?

Mike Williams aside; Dear Coach Mike, As [at least] one retired "Mike" to another.....PLEASE pay a Drop In visit to Mr. Williams
    and take your H.C. Job back, at lease on an interim basis. Say one year. At the very least there is some Cuonzo $$bucks$$
    incentive there for you. P L E A S E

You cannot be serious.
    It doesn't work that way.....

Amazing. It's like people want to go back to the womb or something. He's done. Retired. Move on. Don't try reliving the past.