Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cal ruggers manage a win against Stanford

Cal ruggers manage a win against Stanford

After our 2 losses to UBC, Cal came back strong to beat UCLA and USC down in Los Angeles on March 11. Then on Wednesday evening, Cal faced off against Stanford for the scrum axe:

http://www.calbears.com/news/2017/3/...-stanford.aspx

On Saturday March 25, Cal faces St. Marys at 5pm at Witter Field - this should be a very exciting game as the 2 teams seem pretty closely matched.

Quote Originally Posted by chalcidbear View Post
    After our 2 losses to UBC, Cal came back strong to beat UCLA and USC down in Los Angeles on March 11. Then on Wednesday evening, Cal faced off against Stanford for the scrum axe:

http://www.calbears.com/news/2017/3/...-stanford.aspx

On Saturday March 25, Cal faces St. Marys at 5pm at Witter Field - this should be a very exciting game as the 2 teams seem pretty closely matched.
    Hope the Stanfurds weren't injured too badly.

Furd actually showed up?

It's embarrassing for both teams and the sport to see a score like that.

Quote Originally Posted by hanky1 View Post
    Well, it is just my opinion but I am not embarrassed for Cal at all. I am very proud of our team for beating our rival, and for doing so using lots of freshman and sophomores. I do not understand why you think Cal should be embarrassed for playing hard and doing well. On the other hand, furd should be embarrassed.

This. It is not our fault that Stanfurd Rugby has fallen quite a bit. They should be embarrassed, both for the quality of the side they played and asking to reduce the competition to uncontested scrums.

We play UBC twice each year, have a great rivalry with BYU, a huge match next Saturday (3/25) against a very good St. Mary's team, and will then be headed to the playoffs. There is no embarrassment in preparing hard to win a National Championship each and every year. We lost in the NC game to a very good BYU team three straight years before coming back last year from 15 points down to win by 10, on their home field.

Go Bears!

Lol

120-0!

There is no such thing as an embarrassing score in any sport when Cal beats Furd.

why would it be embarrassing for us?

Yep, makes everybody look bad. If this is Jack Clark's idea of promoting rugby in the United States, it's a massive failure.

Quote Originally Posted by barabbas View Post
    Yep, makes everybody look bad. If this is Jack Clark's idea of promoting rugby in the United States, it's a massive failure.
    Playing virtually all Frosh and Sophs and subbing mor eof the same, what is he suppose to do? Play short-handed, that could lead to injuries.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barabbas View Post
    Were you and janky amongst those that yearned for a more competitive Furd football program back in the day when Tedford had his mojo and we stomped them on the regular? If so, I blame you.

The photo accompanying that story is priceless!

The score makes me wish I was there! GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!!

Barabbas:
    This was NOT a game that was brought about by "Jack Clark's idea of promoting rugby". This was an instance a normally scheduled league game. Just like the week before when Cal trounced UCLA and USC - both normally scheduled league games. Do expect the Bears to forfeit against Stanford because we are so much better than them?