Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cal ruggers manage a win against Stanford

Quote Originally Posted by barabbas View Post
    Yep, makes everybody look bad. If this is Jack Clark's idea of promoting rugby in the United States, it's a massive failure.
    I vote this as the DUMBEST post of the year.

What's especially satisfying is the lineup Coach used, consisting exclusively of freshmen and sophomores.

Stanford's once proud rugby program really needs to "up it's game". They are very capable, and at some point I hope they make a comeback. It doesn't seem like that long ago that they were among the best in the nation. But that forfeit against Cal took the heart out of their pride, and they have never recovered. It's their own fault, and it is up to them to suck it up and make themselves competitive again.

As for the Bears, the game next week with St. Marys will be huge. I am not the only one from SoCal making the trip for that one.

Totally wrong, Barabbas.......the game isn't scheduled for the purpose of promoting rugby in the U.S. It is scheduled because it is a tradition going way back to the 1800s. It is played in honor of those who played the game before, and who see the tradition of two great schools competing against each other as something worthy of continuing.

As for questioning Coach Clark's actions promoting rugby in the U.S., I'll assume you know better than that and just had a momentary lack of oxygen to the brain.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBear View Post
    What's especially satisfying is the lineup Coach used, consisting exclusively of freshmen and sophomores.

Stanford's once proud rugby program really needs to "up it's game". They are very capable, and at some point I hope they make a comeback. It doesn't seem like that long ago that they were among the best in the nation. But that forfeit against Cal took the heart out of their pride, and they have never recovered. It's their own fault, and it is up to them to suck it up and make themselves competitive again.

As for the Bears, the game next week with St. Marys will be huge. I am not the only one from SoCal making the trip for that one.
    I hope that Stanfurd sucks for the rest of eternity. Go Bears!

Ive got 4 tickets.
    Cant wait!
    Last edited by Wags; 03-18-2017 at 04:28 PM.

What if the furd side refused to play Cal again, because they might be hurt?....

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBearofCalifornia View Post
    Well, it is just my opinion but I am not embarrassed for Cal at all. I am very proud of our team for beating our rival, and for doing so using lots of freshman and sophomores. I do not understand why you think Cal should be embarrassed for playing hard and doing well. On the other hand, furd should be embarrassed.
    Remember that "piling on" is permitted and encouraged in rugby.

We should refuse to play Stanford until they actually try to field a decent team.

Say we can't do it because we fear for their safety.

But seriously, what's the point of the game if it's so lopsided.

Colorado, read my post (above) to answer your questing of "What's the point"? As for your first sentence, I would hope that $C and many others who have traditionally run over our football team don't have the same attitude. Your second sentence was the excuse given by Stanford for not even playing a scheduled and traditional match with us not so long ago.

Colorado, I'm pretty confident you're somewhat kidding in your post, (at least to some extent but I'll point out that the spirit of athletics isn't about quitting or giving up even before you take the playing field. One of the rugby teams I played for was, at one time, a very weak team, more often defeated than victor. But we NEVER chickened out of a chance to play, and played some of the very finest teams (and athletes) in the nation. Now, they are a national contender fielding both men's and women's teams and competing for national titles. They didn't get there by refusing to play, and having teams refuse to play them because they were weak. They got there by taking on teams they knew would run them over, learning from the experience, determining to get better, and executing a plan which has been a surprise even to me.

Rugby is an honorable game. The respect and tradition of the game is a model that should be a template for any team in competition, and every team at Cal.

Unlike some, I hope to see, and expect to see Stanford get their act together and make themselves a reputable team again. These losses against the Bears can be a stepping stone to that. It wasn't that long ago they were competing for national championships. While I'm happy to see any Cal team beat a Stanford team decisively, it is better for the game and the tradition when both teams are at full strength, and at the top of their capabilities. I hope that happens soon. And when it does, I hope Cal keeps their dominance over the red.
    Last edited by TomBear; 03-20-2017 at 09:15 AM.

That score does not thrill Cal Rugby. The two teams played out of respect for the long history of this rivalry. Stanford did so despite injuries that impacted their roster made it even more difficult. Credit to the Cardinal for fulfilling the fixture.