Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: not sorry to see Cuonzo leave ..

  1. #1

    not sorry to see Cuonzo leave ..

    I know many are glad due his doing this or doing that

    my basic thought is that with good players he showed he just was not going to take us anywhere in the tournament.. he has shown that he will not be a top level coach .. MO in my not so humble opinion has made an error.. good for them and us.

    saved us having to deal with him for a few more years or dealing with firing him .. I am not upset at how he left or that he quit on us or any of that assorted crap that people are harping on ..

    he seems to be a quality guy in many ways.. was a good rep for Cal, but some guys have it, some don't .. so time to move on ..

    now for a hire that will get us not only into the tournament, but capable of having us get to the eight or four levels

  2. #2
    I have to agree with you. I thought he was a good defense of coach but he sure didn't know what to do with his offense of weapons that he had last year. Rabb seemed to be a fourth or fifth scoring option last year and I thought that was a big mistake. The kid had great post moves since high school and they really never helped him develop it last year.

    Personally I like Bennett from St. Mary's and Mike Davis. If possible I would like them to keep wyking Jones as an assistant coach...and sure why not why bring on one of our ex ball players to also assist on the bench
    Last edited by Basketball Bear; 03-18-2017 at 10:19 PM.

  3. #3
    At least Cuonzo Martin created an identity for the men's bball program. Cal basketball was known for tough defense. The Bears led the Pac 12 in fewest points allowed and held opponents to the lowest FG%. I never got to anxious when the men played because I believed that they would stay in the game because of their defense. I'll have to admit that offensively Cal left much to be desired.

    Cal women's basketball under HC Lindsay Gottlieb has failed to establish an identity for her program. They are mediocore in just about every statistical area. They used to be a dominant inside team and outrebounded nearly every opponent. This identity has disappeared and nothing has replaced it. The Bears are not a good shooting team nor do they run a sophisticated offense (Xs & Os). Since Brittany Boyd departed to the WNBA, Cal has lacked a top notch PG or ball-handler.

    I have much more anxiety watching the women's program struggle under Gottlieb. I hope that the AD Williams can hire an equivalent or better HC for the men's team but I doubt that will happen...GO BEARS!

  4. #4
    Gottlieb appears to be another example of a coach that can get great players, but can't figure out how to use them. She made the Final Four pretty much by just rolling the ball out. When the talent dropped off a notch, she wasn't able to compensate with strategy or player development.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    Gottlieb appears to be another example of a coach that can get great players, but can't figure out how to use them. She made the Final Four pretty much by just rolling the ball out. When the talent dropped off a notch, she wasn't able to compensate with strategy or player development.
    Ya, whatever happened to the women's program? Seems to be woefully underachieving the last couple years.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakbear View Post
    I know many are glad due his doing this or doing that

    my basic thought is that with good players he showed he just was not going to take us anywhere in the tournament.. he has shown that he will not be a top level coach .. MO in my not so humble opinion has made an error.. good for them and us.

    saved us having to deal with him for a few more years or dealing with firing him .. I am not upset at how he left or that he quit on us or any of that assorted crap that people are harping on ..

    he seems to be a quality guy in many ways.. was a good rep for Cal, but some guys have it, some don't .. so time to move on ..

    now for a hire that will get us not only into the tournament, but capable of having us get to the eight or four levels
    I generally agree with this assessment. Good guy, very good recruiter, so-so coach with obvious limitations. Mizzou is making a mistake. That said, I wish CM the best.

  7. #7
    It was good to know we could get McD AA's to come here that's a good validation. Pity he wasn't better but then he might be gone for a different reason

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaEternal View Post
    Ya, whatever happened to the women's program? Seems to be woefully underachieving the last couple years.
    Last year they were killed by injuries. No real excuse this time, they have one of the best players in the country in Anigwe, and still struggled. My dad goes to most of the women's games, and he says Gottlieb doesn't do much to structure the play.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakbear View Post
    my basic thought is that with good players he showed he just was not going to take us anywhere in the tournament.. he has shown that he will not be a top level coach .. MO in my not so humble opinion has made an error.. good for them and us.
    I think this is the key point. He showed that he was not a good enough coach when he hit the recruiting jackpot and could not put together a competent offense and was strategically incompetent. I say start with a great development and strategic coach and hope he gets lucky recruiting.

    Sluggo

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sluggo_Cal View Post
    I think this is the key point. He showed that he was not a good enough coach when he hit the recruiting jackpot and could not put together a competent offense and was strategically incompetent. I say start with a great development and strategic coach and hope he gets lucky recruiting.

    Sluggo
    I was sitting courtside next to Michael Williams, and , when asked, he said that he had no idea why Rabb wasn't playing. Sure! Now check out the postgame interview with Cuonzo.
    Trump could not have evaded the truth better than our (thankfully) departing coach. Plantar fasciitis? Nice try.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    Gottlieb appears to be another example of a coach that can get great players, but can't figure out how to use them. She made the Final Four pretty much by just rolling the ball out. When the talent dropped off a notch, she wasn't able to compensate with strategy or player development.
    Lorenzo Romar 2

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    Last year they were killed by injuries. No real excuse this time, they have one of the best players in the country in Anigwe, and still struggled. My dad goes to most of the women's games, and he says Gottlieb doesn't do much to structure the play.
    Both last season and this our women played with only 2 guards, both times 1 soph and 1 freshie. Not a recipe for success, but this season we made the NCAA Tournament (9 seed) anyway. Our conference record was only 6-12 but the Pac-12 is the strongest women's conference in the country and we won all of our other games.

    Schroeder71 is right that our women used to be noted for defense and rebounding. Their defense is still good and BTW has plenty of structure. Much of their rebounding came from guards like Boyd and Green who are no longer here. Dunno how we're going to fix that, but the team will be better balanced and more experienced next season.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakbear View Post
    I know many are glad due his doing this or doing that

    my basic thought is that with good players he showed he just was not going to take us anywhere in the tournament.. he has shown that he will not be a top level coach .. MO in my not so humble opinion has made an error.. good for them and us.

    saved us having to deal with him for a few more years or dealing with firing him .. I am not upset at how he left or that he quit on us or any of that assorted crap that people are harping on ..

    he seems to be a quality guy in many ways.. was a good rep for Cal, but some guys have it, some don't .. so time to move on ..

    now for a hire that will get us not only into the tournament, but capable of having us get to the eight or four levels
    I agree with most of what you're saying, but I can't excuse or forgive how he left and quit on the team. In hindsight, he clearly had one foot out the door and was NOT trying to win our NIT game, and perhaps his lack of motivation to win for Cal started even earlier than the NIT. He sold the team and fans short. If he wants to be somewhere else, fine, resign right away. Don't keep coaching when you don't care if Cal wins (or when you actually PREFER that they lose so you can start your new job.) I lost all respect for him.

  14. #14
    Agree with most sentiment here - glad he came and glad he left. Very good defense and home court record, but couldn't coach fundamentals or offense or utilize the talent he got. No long term loss imo.

  15. #15
    Think we'll be reading frustrated Mizz posts a few years from now on how average at best Cuonzo is as a coach. Has recruiting capabilities, but really is an awful game day coach. Think Mizz took a problem off our hands. Hoping we can get a good hire - would love to see Bennett!
    Curious, any buyout $ that Mizz will have to pay Cal?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •