Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enfield

Enfield

Remember all those people here that pooh-poohed the Enfield hire? I thought he was a reasonable gamble coming off a disastrous season. Maybe not the kind of gamble we need to make right now (people forget we've won 18+ games in each of the last 9 seasons).

SC continues its upward trajectory and he's recruiting at a high level there.

Just goes to show there's no set formula for hiring a coach.
    Last edited by tsubamoto2001; 03-17-2017 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Remember all those people here that pooh-poohed the Enfield hire? I thought he was a reasonable gamble coming off a disastrous season. Maybe not the kind of gamble we need to make right now (people forget we've won 18+ games in each of the last 9 seasons).

SC continues its upward trajectory and he's recruiting at a high level there.

Just goes to show there's no set formula for hiring a coach.
    Trust me. I am pretty shocked and all the power to him.

interesting question though - if USC gets through another round would one of the power schools (such as Indiana) take a run?

I was a pooh-pooher. Thought sc overreacted to an isolated tourney run.

You're right, there's no set formula. But our formula is more complex. Our coach needs to fulfill a certain profile unlike the majority of programs out there.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post

interesting question though - if USC gets through another round would one of the power schools (such as Indiana) take a run?
    Maybe Illinois. Not Indiana.

Entire SC team returns next year plus they add a top class including 5 star duke transfer

It will also always bother me that Jonah Mathews would be at Cal (with his brother) if we had offered him.

Before the recent events, it was the one thing I thought was a big mistake by Martin
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

There's a good chance that Jonah Matthews would've transferred with Martin leaving. He may have followed his brother up to Gonzaga or ended up at SC anyway. No need to get caught up with Jonah Matthews at this point with what ifs.

A name I haven't seen mentioned is Mark Davis who was at Indiana before crean took over. I always felt that he was a decent coach. My guess he'll take one of the new openings coming up soon. I don't remember why he got torpedoed at Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Bear View Post
    There's a good chance that Jonah Matthews would've transferred with Martin leaving. He may have followed his brother up to Gonzaga or ended up at SC anyway. No need to get caught up with Jonah Matthews at this point with what ifs.

A name I haven't seen mentioned is Mark Davis who was at Indiana before crean took over. I always felt that he was a decent coach. My guess he'll take one of the new openings coming up soon. I don't remember why he got torpedoed at Indiana.
    I think you mean Mike Davis. Indiana felt they deserved better than middling results so he got run out. He went to UAB after and ended up getting fired. He's at low-major Texas Southern now and doing well.
    Last edited by tsubamoto2001; 03-17-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Hiring Davis would be like hiring Dykes, a guy with no West Coast connections whatsoever. We've been down that road twice, and got burned. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post

I'm wondering if we take a run at him, we did poach a coach that went Sweet 16 for our last hire.

The guy was a shooting coach in his prior life .... would have loved to have someone like him at Cal

USC's recent upswing probably has as much to do with hiring deeply connected assistants than it does with Enfield. Enfield arrived at SC with no real contacts coming from Florida-Golf Course but SC wisely opened the checkbook to hire Tony Bland and Jason Hart who are local guys and know the AAU circuit intimately (especially Hart who was an AAU coach). Bland was a huge part of SDSU's recruiting successs and they haven't been the same since he left.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSouseFamily View Post
    USC's recent upswing probably has as much to do with hiring deeply connected assistants than it does with Enfield. Enfield arrived at SC with no real contacts coming from Florida-Golf Course but SC wisely opened the bank account to hire Tony Bland and Jason Hart who are local guys and know the AAU circuit intimately (especially Hart who was an AAU coach). Bland was a huge part of SDSU's recruiting successs and they haven't been the same since he left.
    Enfield had enough sense to hire those guys. Could have brought in his own guys but was smart enough to know that he needed guys that could get him the players in SoCal.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Enfield had enough sense to hire those guys. Could have brought in his own guys but was smart enough to know that he needed guys that could get him the players in SoCal.
    Agreed. And it's paid off. SC's been recruiting the west very well lately. And with Charles O'Bannon, they keep coming. I almost wonder if we should consider Bland.
    Last edited by TheSouseFamily; 03-17-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Bland is reportedly interested in and is a serious candidate for the UCSB job.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    .....It will also always bother me that Jonah Mathews would be at Cal (with his brother) if we had offered him.

Before the recent events, it was the one thing I thought was a big mistake by Martin
    According to ESPN, Cal did offer Mathews:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b.../jonah-mathews