Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: CIF regional finals

Give a good high school team and coach a week to prepare and defense will likely dominate. Neither team has a one-on-one scorer and as Sue Phillips said after the game, "There was plenty of tape out there." Nothing came easy for either team, and it was a defensive struggle, unfortunately.

I think KC Waters was too slow to defend at this level, and the same is true of Chen Yue. The first question when you go up a level is "Who's she gonna guard?" At O'Dowd, Waters was one of four Power 5 post players (and another went to Sacramento State) and didn't have to defend one-on-one. Both would probably be much better off at the mid-major level, and neither would help Cal get to the top of the Pac-12.
    Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā

Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
    Give a good high school team and coach a week to prepare and defense will likely dominate. Neither team has a one-on-one scorer and as Sue Phillips said after the game, "There was plenty of tape out there." Nothing came easy for either team, and it was a defensive struggle, unfortunately.

I think KC Waters was too slow to defend at this level, and the same is true of Chen Yue. The first question when you go up a level is "Who's she gonna guard?" At O'Dowd, Waters was one of four Power 5 post players (and another went to Sacramento State) and didn't have to defend one-on-one. Both would probably be much better off at the mid-major level, and neither would help Cal get to the top of the Pac-12.
    Hope that we can see Waters on TV for a few games next year wherever she ends up playing to check out these theories. As far as entertainment value goes, I think I will probably prefer watching some of that if we are still going 6-12 again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by wvitbear View Post
    One more thing. Even though I always route for the Northern Cal team, it is nice to see a public school win it.

These two were good teams but they can't compare to the O'Dowd team a few years ago who beat Jordan Canada and Kristen Simon's team in the finals. The O'Dowd team had three players who were starters for NCAA tourney teams. Thomas at Cal. Brown at OSu, and Chiodom at Dukle. Canada and Simon were all Pac 10 type starters and there other guard was a starter for USC.
    Memories...wvit, I use enjoy watching those girls play! I even went to a few games at BOD. I use to call Oderah & Brianna the "Sequioa's" they dominated in the paint. And K C played agressive, she was the "Draymond", did all the clean-up work...I haven't seen a team like them since.
    I was cheering on Bri in Stockton Sat, OSU really utilized her this year.
    Last edited by 85 Fly; 03-29-2017 at 01:02 PM.

[QUOTE=Schroeder71;842826346]Open championship game was embarrassing for girl's basketball. Both teams played poorly. Of course, lots of the below average performance can be attributed to the tough competition and playing in a NBA arena. Also, I would say that both teams choked under pressure, trying to be the #1 team in the state. However, I've never seen this group of eight Mitty players perform at this level. Compare this game to the 1st game vs Clovis West: 76-75. Also examine the Monarch's season stats over 31 games vs this game. Mitty coach Sue Phillips nailed it: "We had chances we normally make. I'd say some of those looks we'd make 10 out of 10 times." Maddy Holland had 4-5 shots in the key from the free throw in that she makes game in, game out. She missed four in the final quarter. Haley Jones missed layups & put backs.

It's called they are kids and kids have a bad game just like collegiate level...it was just the wrong quarter to have a "bad game" for Mitty. Mitty's situation just reminded me of the SMS team (Ranked # 1 Nationally) last year that went down in the semi to Pinewood. What's the chances at the high school girls level a team makes 16 3s? That's not common, and part of the result for SMS was coaching but the bottom line is they had a bad game. I believe you roll that ball out again Pinewood not beating SMS but it happend, no excuses just not their day!

Congrats to Mitty for a great season and CW for building that program brick-by-brick over the 4yrs-well earned (eventhough they too didn't play as good as they normally do)! A lot of those girls have been together since middle school I remember seeing them at AAU tourneys...happy for coach.

Sidenote @Moraga or Pear- Please advertise when Coach LG has her "summer camp" not technically the one where anyone and everyone can go and receive training "x" days. No, I'm referring to the one I went to last year (summer) where AAU teams were invited, staff had them do fundamental work-out in the morning but in the afternoon AAU teams went head-to-head . It was excellent, love to go again.

Quote Originally Posted by 85 Fly View Post
    Sidenote @Moraga or Pear- Please advertise when Coach LG has her "summer camp" not technically the one where anyone and everyone can go and receive training "x" days. No, I'm referring to the one I went to last year (summer) where AAU teams were invited, staff had them do fundamental work-out in the morning but in the afternoon AAU teams went head-to-head . It was excellent, love to go again.
    yea the Team Camp. Good way to get kids on campus. Too bad the DOBO (or whoever made the schedule) didnt do their homework last year and had the cagers top team (same 10 kids from mitty roster) play a 7TH GRADE TEAM... it was awful for both sides and a waste of time.

I've never taken a team because it's four games in one day (or was when I was paying attention) and that's way too much. Three games is too many, really ...

Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
    I've never taken a team because it's four games in one day (or was when I was paying attention) and that's way too much. Three games is too many, really ...
    If you dont have enough kids, it can be tough. They are not "real games" both in length, and rules, its more scrimmage based. It's not like trying to play 3-4 actual tournament games. But of course, if your kids haven't done much between the end of the season and the summer, that will hurt too.

The Cal setup made it tough because there were usually really good teams, so the kids played hard and your lower level players would just get overwhelmed. And if you were missing a couple girls for whatever reason, now you're just grinding your good players, who are exhausted by the end of the day.

In that kind of scenario, I just couldn't see it helping us get better.

Now if we'd two good games against two good teams, different story, or four games with one my JVs could play. For the big schools with depth, like Mitty and O'Dowd and Carondelet, it's a much better situation.

^^^ I thought it was 2 days and I just went to one (the day the Soldiers were playing 2 games that day)...my memory is bad-Lol
    Anyway, if someone gets the Team Camp schedule early I appreciate you informing... my connect took awhile getting back to me and then I had to move things around last minute to attend but it was fun to watch.
    Last edited by 85 Fly; 04-06-2017 at 01:17 PM.

It was only one day.. I think the Cal one has been that way for a while now. Some others are weekend events from my experience. I may stay closer to home and watch the Santa Clara team camp, as they didn't have one last year with the change of coaches.