Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CIF regional finals

Mediocrity starts with the coach... But that's just my opinion

Did we take a look at or offer Julia Blackshell-Fair, 5'10" Sr. guard at Vanden High in Fairfield? She signed with the University of Houston. She helped her team overcome a 17-point 4th qtr. deficit and defeat Mater Dei today in the D2 girl's championship.

Active Bear
    Blackshell-Fair was outstanding. Like 20 points 20 rebounds 8
    Assists but better still took over the game when Vanden
    Was well behind. Much better than Adams headed to Duke

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    In the Open division, #1 Clovis West beat #2 Long Beach Poly, 53-44 and will play the winner of #1 Mitty and #7 Cardinal Newman, who play at 6 at Mitty.
    Sorry if this is a booth. Open division Winner Clovis West over Mitty 44-40. Per a tweet there was a coachG sighting at the game.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/03/...n-state-final/

It was a real defensive game. Mitty played really poorly down the stretch. More later.

I knew the rematch Mitty vs CW was going to be a close game again but I didn't expect Mitty to shoot bricks in the final quarter. They couldn't get a shot to drop down the stretch and free throws in the end for CW won the game. I know technically CW is considered in the South conference but when you live 3.5 hours away, in Norcal, it feels odd to call them the SoCal winners. Lol Congrats CW!

One more thing. Even though I always route for the Northern Cal team, it is nice to see a public school win it.

These two were good teams but they can't compare to the O'Dowd team a few years ago who beat Jordan Canada and Kristen Simon's team in the finals. The O'Dowd team had three players who were starters for NCAA tourney teams. Thomas at Cal. Brown at OSu, and Chiodom at Dukle. Canada and Simon were all Pac 10 type starters and there other guard was a starter for USC.

I agree that she has the speed and ball-handling ability to play in the Pac 12... She was the key to the upset of Mater Dei.

So to reiterate, here were the State Championship game results:

Open: Clovis West 44 Mitty 40
    D1: Windward 53 McClatchy 41
    D2: Vanden 64 Mater Dei 61
    D3: Rosary Academy 62 Campolindo 45
    D4: West Campus 63 Los Osos 55
    D5: Eastside College Prep 63 Rolling Hills Prep 40
    D6: NorCal final: Fall River-McArthur 63 Loyalton 59 (Populations: Fall River 573, Loyalton 718)

NorCal 3 SoCal 3
    NorCal winner sections: Sac-San Joaquin: 2, CCS: 1

Boys finals:
    Open: Bishop Montgomery 76 Woodcreek 67
    D1: Roosevelt (Cal signee Jemarl Baker) 54 James Logan 45
    D2: Esperanza 72 Moreau 65
    D3: Mission SF 82 Villa Park 75
    D4: St. Patrick-St. Vincent 59 Helix 46
    D5: Rolling Hills Prep 47 St. Francis 46
    D6: NorCal final: Fall River-McArthur 75 Liberty Christian-Redding 36

Quote Originally Posted by wvitbear View Post
    One more thing. Even though I always route for the Northern Cal team, it is nice to see a public school win it.

These two were good teams but they can't compare to the O'Dowd team a few years ago who beat Jordan Canada and Kristen Simon's team in the finals. The O'Dowd team had three players who were starters for NCAA tourney teams. Thomas at Cal. Brown at OSu, and Chiodom at Dukle. Canada and Simon were all Pac 10 type starters and there other guard was a starter for USC.
    Hard to believe that KC Waters was also a huge part of that team, and we never could figure out a way to use her.

Open championship game was embarrassing for girl's basketball. Both teams played poorly. Of course, lots of the below average performance can be attributed to the tough competition and playing in a NBA arena. Also, I would say that both teams choked under pressure, trying to be the #1 team in the state. However, I've never seen this group of eight Mitty players perform at this level. Compare this game to the 1st game vs Clovis West: 76-75. Also examine the Monarch's season stats over 31 games vs this game. Mitty coach Sue Phillips nailed it: "We had chances we normally make. I'd say some of those looks we'd make 10 out of 10 times." Maddy Holland had 4-5 shots in the key from the free throw in that she makes game in, game out. She missed four in the final quarter. Haley Jones missed layups & put backs.

http://www.maxpreps.com/games/girls-...XH_m_pOgEQ.htm

Mitty hit 35% from the floor while Clovis West only managed 29%. The Monarchs only made 2 three points shots out of 12 attempts (17%) as compared to an average of 8.5 per game. Mitty had 7 assists and 21 turnovers with the San Jose squad's weakness at point guard exploited by CW. Clovis West two senior guards were the difference in the game in the fourth quarter. UCSB-bound Sarah Bates scored 11 consecutive points down the stretch to win it. CW won the game from the free throw line. AM only made 3 of 5 FTs for the entire game. I believe (no stats out yet for Clovis West) that they had 20 or more. Clovis West deserved the state championship and Archbishop Mitty will have to live with the result.

Last night's Mississippi State win over Baylor was a credit to women's basketball and one of the best games that I have witnessed. I ended up watching the entire game due to the performance level. I do not follow either team nor did I have an emotional investment in the outcome.
    Go Monarchs! GO BEARS!
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 03-27-2017 at 12:38 PM.

and she may have been the4 best player on that team. But she was a twiner in size and like Shantrell Snead, wasn't quick enough nor tall enough for the Pac 12.

and she may have been the4 best player on that team. But she was a twiner in size and like Shantrell Snead, wasn't quick enough nor tall enough for the Pac 12.
    IMHO Coach B made a mistake playing Adrian instead of Snead at PF - I thought Adrian was a perimeter player and Snead had a much better inside game.

I think that she was a square peg in a round hole in our system, and that the coaches couldn't come up with some square holes for her. I agree that she could not be used as a low post player, especially in a system that is designed to lob passes into players who can reach for those passes. But I think she did have some passing and shooting skills to play in a high post offense. However, we seldom use any high post plays. If Neighbors could figure out how to use Oshafor as a productive player, KC could certainly have had some of her own unique attributes put to use. Even just boxing somebody out on occasion would have been more than welcome.

I am also wondering if Chen Yue is about to suffer the same fate. Her greatest skills appear to be at the high post, with a decent shooting and passing touch. But her primary role may continue to be towel-waving while the ball continues to go into the low post.

It occurs to me that UDub is going to have so many holes next year that maybe they could have room for KC as a one-year grad transfer player. Would love to see if Neighbors could come up with a way to use her.
    Last edited by annarborbear; 03-27-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by annarborbear View Post
    I am also wondering if Chen Yue is about to suffer the same fate. Her greatest skills appear to be at the high post, with a decent shooting and passing touch. But her primary role may continue to be towel-waving while the ball continues to go into the low post.
    What little I've seen of Chen makes me think her spot is forward, and I agree she could play high post. But maybe center on defense as her feet look pretty slow.

It occurs to me that UDub is going to have so many holes next year that maybe they could have room for KC as a one-year grad transfer player.
    Are you talking about the UDub men?