Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: St Mary's v Arizona

Is his pipeline as good if he goes to Cal? Do those guys get admitted? St. Mary's is an easy admit.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    I didn't get that at all. None of them talk about being in Moraga and enjoying the woods. All their quotes are about Bennett (and alums). Assuming he brings some (all?) of his staff with it would seem the pipeline translates.

Now - lets be fair - I think Bennett would do EVEN BETTER at that pipeline in SoCal since in many ways Southern California is closer to (populated) Australia. You can't pass a ruby ball down here without kicking 2 Aussies and a New Zealander.

here is a highly-rated Aussie recruit who could not get into Fresno St (ASU also recruited him) ...

https://pickandroll.com.au/william-mcdowell-white-ineligible-play-college-hoops-tom-wilson-transfer-smu/

Keep in mind many of Australia's elite recruits are trained at the govt-run Center of Excellence (Cal beat them on the Aussie tour). The players study and train at the CoE but it is not a traditional high school setting. Not sure how the courses are credited for US college admission purposes.
    Last edited by BearBackerinLA; 03-20-2017 at 06:33 PM.

The way I see it is Cal is not a one and done type school for obvious reasons, so if you want to win big, you will have to do it with 3 and 4 year players buying into a system....4 and 5 star recruits (especially 5 star) who can pass admissions and want to come to Cal are not going to come along very often....I can see Bennett attracting enough 3 and 4 star, academically suitable, players to make his system even better at Cal than at St. Marys....it takes a more cerebral player to play the way Bennett likes to play and that may fit better at Cal....We are not going to hit the lottery type player often enough to compete with Arizona or UCLA with 5 star athletes, we have to find the marginally less talented kids who will buy into a system and execute it with precision as they do in Moraga....My vote goes to Bennett....

Quote Originally Posted by bearmanpg View Post
    The way I see it is Cal is not a one and done type school for obvious reasons, so if you want to win big, you will have to do it with 3 and 4 year players buying into a system....4 and 5 star recruits (especially 5 star) who can pass admissions and want to come to Cal are not going to come along very often....I can see Bennett attracting enough 3 and 4 star, academically suitable, players to make his system even better at Cal than at St. Marys....it takes a more cerebral player to play the way Bennett likes to play and that may fit better at Cal....We are not going to hit the lottery type player often enough to compete with Arizona or UCLA with 5 star athletes, we have to find the marginally less talented kids who will buy into a system and execute it with precision as they do in Moraga....My vote goes to Bennett....
    Well put.

Not sure how to rate Bennett versus, say, the UCI guy, or the (possibly unknown) coach that may emerge when the new coach is announced.

Seems to me that Bennet, at the very least, can make Cal into a Butler or Wisconsin level program: that is, without multiple one and dones. Seems also unrealistic to think Cal is going to be interested in multiple one and dones year in and year out, just because of academics. I would opt for good play with talent over super recruiter with poor play (Cuonzo last year).

Quote Originally Posted by bearchamp View Post
    Seems to me that Bennet, at the very least, can make Cal into a Butler or Wisconsin level program: that is, without multiple one and dones. Seems also unrealistic to think Cal is going to be interested in multiple one and dones year in and year out, just because of academics. I would opt for good play with talent over super recruiter with poor play (Cuonzo last year).
    I'd say that's accurate, especially the Wisconsin (or Michigan) comparison.

He's by far the surest bet. Bennett has proven he can sustain success over a long period of time. Very few coaches with his track record have failed at the high major level. And his track record is very impressive. Coaches that have coached 10+ seasons at one mid-major school and stepped up to the high-major level are rare. But the ones that have usually found success. Some names are Jim Calhoun, Dana Altman, and Jim Larranaga. A handful of guys like Mark Few, Gregg Marshall, Stew Morrill, and Jerry Tarkanian won big (better than 0.650 winning pct.) at that level but never moved up to the Power conferences. Fran Dunphy excelled at Penn for long time and moved on to Temple, which sort of borderline High Major.

Offensively, I would say he's the best coach on the list. His system is very efficient and precise, ball-screen heavy, with lots of ball movement, and player movement, as well. It's very pretty to watch--and very difficult to defend. His last 3 teams have been in the top 25 nationally in Assist Rate. Since 2008, he has produced elite level offenses on a regular basis. Six of his last 8 teams have been in the Top 20 in Adjusted Offensive Efficiency, with the other 2 teams ranking 50th and 61st.

Defensively, his philosophy is rock solid. Three of his teams have rated 1st in lowest opponent Assist Rate. That's nationally, BTW. Another 3 of his teams were 2nd in that category. In total, 11 of his 16 teams have rated in the Top 12 nationally. Bennett's teams have also consistently taken away the 3-point shot away from their opponents. 11 of his 16 teams have ranked in the Top 10 in lowest opponent 3-point attempt Rate.

Obviously, what Bennett doesn't have going for him is aesthetic. His age--54 isn't "too old"--but he'd be a no-brainer if he was 44 and looked like Tony Bennett or Steve Lavin. He's also doesn't present as a smooth-talker type with charm and charismatic appeal. For some, these things are important. For me, he's as close to an elite basketball coach as Cal can realistically get, which puts the aesthetic stuff on the back burner for me. The NCAA violations are a concern, but compared to many other programs, don't seem that bad to me. Other programs--looking at you, North Carolina--have gotten away with far worse.
    Last edited by tsubamoto2001; 03-21-2017 at 02:24 PM.

A friend told me Bennett was offered and declined. I can not confirm this

Quote Originally Posted by bearchamp View Post
    The names floated so far-Pasterack, Turner, etc-seem like a one way ticket to the middle/bottom of the conference. You might as well hire a higher level coaching talent like Bennett who has actually been to the tournament six times which is five more than any other HC being considered and actually made it past the first round unlike the others; or if the field is this week, take a flyer on one of the younger guys-Decuire, Gates-if you think they could be a higher level talent. You're not missing out on much.

Quote Originally Posted by oskidunker View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised. Another Cal site is suggesting that happened, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by oskidunker View Post
    The way things are seemingly moving laterally, I would say you are probably correct...this trajectory looks to be waiting for Arizona to finish it's NCAA run....if Bennett were the choice, I would think the deal would be done before the end of this week...

St Mary's losing arguably the No. 1 rated Aussie recruit (I had mentioned him before) in this class ...

https://twitter.com/OlgunUluc/status/846120160096268288

Glover is another one of the products from the Australia Center of Excellence (CoE) which we played on the tour.

https://pickandroll.com.au/angus-glo...lege-turn-pro/

Glover and Anticevich were teammates on the New South Wales U20 team.
    Last edited by BearBackerinLA; 03-26-2017 at 04:04 PM.

so Bennett was willing to stay at St Mary's even though he won't know who the new AD is?

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/st...15121207353348

https://twitter.com/SacBee_JoeD/stat...495296/photo/1
    Last edited by BearBackerinLA; 03-27-2017 at 06:41 PM.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BearBackerinLA View Post
    so Bennett was willing to stay at St Mary's even though he won't know who the new AD is?

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/st...15121207353348
    He knows who our AD is, and that was enough.