Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WOW: We are F'ed

WOW: We are F'ed

I didn't catch the news but Brad Underwood was hired by Illinois at 3 million for 6 years from his AMAZING 1 year stink at OK State going 2013. They did make the tournament - only to lose to Michigan.

Unless we give someone their first HC job we probably are looking at 2 to 3 million - which isn't clear in the budget especially with a 4-6 year guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    I didn't catch the news but Brad Underwood was hired by Illinois at 3 million for 6 years from his AMAZING 1 year stink at OK State going 2013. They did make the tournament - only to lose to Michigan.Unless we give someone their first HC job we probably are looking at 2 to 3 million - which isn't clear in the budget especially with a 4-6 year guarantee.
    take the Video Kid for 1.5 million

I know it's "anti-American" but in an enterprise that is regulated at every step by NCAA and yet they do not put any controls on coaches pay or movement, it just reeks of corruption. I don't give a crap about "what the market will pay" no college coach should be making over a million dollars a year.
    ~The Bear will not quilt. The Bear will not dye.~

Quote Originally Posted by blungld View Post
    I don't give a crap about "what the market will pay" no college coach should be making over a million dollars a year.
    Certainly not a basketball coach.

I'll take the HC job for 800 grand, but I want my weekends off.

Quote Originally Posted by blungld View Post
    I know it's "anti-American" but in an enterprise that is regulated at every step by NCAA and yet they do not put any controls on coaches pay or movement, it just reeks of corruption. I don't give a crap about "what the market will pay" no college coach should be making over a million dollars a year.
    A bit of a microcosm of America, no? Small group of the wealthy, get wealthier. Everybody else pays the bill. Question is, can such a system sustain itself?

Quote Originally Posted by CALiforniALUM View Post
    A bit of a microcosm of America, no? Small group of the wealthy, get wealthier. Everybody else pays the bill. Question is, can such a system sustain itself?
    Good question. I believe that history has shown the answer is no, at least in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by bearloyal View Post
    Certainly not a basketball coach.
    Why should it matter what the sport is?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearprof View Post
    Roughly 1/5 the seats?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearprof View Post
    A helluva lot fewer players to recruit, manage, and game plan for than football.

Quote Originally Posted by bearloyal View Post
    A helluva lot fewer players to recruit, manage, and game plan for than football.
    Fewer scholarships + fewer/lower paid assistants = more money for the HC

Plus more opportunity for non-traditional powers to make a splash in the tournament and become a power. In football, traditional power programs tend to remain traditional power programs.

There is only so much money. Right now there's not a lot of competition for it, so coaches get it all. If they compensated players the coaches share would need to come back down to earth.

When you look at the other coaching salaries, there will need to be a huge realignment. There about 30 coaches making less (often far less) than Underwood, who there would be a consensus are better coaches. If this trend continues, non-revenue sports are in deep trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    When you look at the other coaching salaries, there will need to be a huge realignment. There about 30 coaches making less (often far less) than Underwood, who there would be a consensus are better coaches. If this trend continues, non-revenue sports are in deep trouble.
    My feeling is there are a handful of top tier coaches that are probably worth whatever you pay them from an investment perspective. Guaranteed high level of success.

Then there is another tier that are plain not worth the money. If people are going to pay the Cuonzo's of this world $3M, I say don't play in that pool. You've got just as much chance of success giving a guy his first high major HC job and paying half that money.

It's not just the $s, but the contract lengths in this latest round of the coaching carousel that are daunting. Cuonzo-7 years, Underwood-6 years, and Kevin Keatts (NC State from UNC Wilmington)-6 years. Combined, Cuonzo (2 wins in 9 seasons), Underwood (2 in 4), and Keatts (0 in 2), have 4 NCAA tourny wins in 15 seasons.

Illinois desperately wants the next Bill Self, but at least he had an E8 at Tulsa before UI. Brad Stevens hopped to the NBA, but curious to see what Few would command in the current market. Shaka hasn't panned out yet at UT, but better resume than Underwood.