Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WOW: We are F'ed

Stevens had consecutive final fours with a mid major. All these guys are bubble coaches

True Blue Golden Bear going4roses's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blungld View Post
    I know it's "anti-American" but in an enterprise that is regulated at every step by NCAA and yet they do not put any controls on coaches pay or movement, it just reeks of corruption. I don't give a crap about "what the market will pay" no college coach should be making over a million dollars a year.

Oh really now lol

Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post
    My feeling is there are a handful of top tier coaches that are probably worth whatever you pay them from an investment perspective. Guaranteed high level of success.

Then there is another tier that are plain not worth the money. If people are going to pay the Cuonzo's of this world $3M, I say don't play in that pool. You've got just as much chance of success giving a guy his first high major HC job and paying half that money.
    I completely agree. The economics of the Cuonzoc and Underwood contracts make no sense to me. But Coach K's contact at Duke does. That said, and this is antidotal, I have seen large contracts lead to arms race before both with professional players or coaches.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoBear1 View Post
    take the Video Kid for 1.5 million
    So what is the upside with Video Kid? Is he good at Xs and Os? I guess he has inroads with the Bay Area club ball scene?

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    So what is the upside with Video Kid? Is he good at Xs and Os? I guess he has inroads with the Bay Area club ball scene?
    That is shocky's argument. He is "all in" on his predictions. I am eating popcorn to see if accurate and his "insider" knowledge is insider. I have my serious doubts but lets see....

Quote Originally Posted by GB54 View Post
    Stevens had consecutive final fours with a mid major. All these guys are bubble coaches
    And Boston is now rolling in the East and could push Cleveland in the Conference Finals.

So how do we at Cal maintain legacy and continuity if we stay out of the arms race and become a "resume builder" P5 HC job?

What sort of intitutional admin do we have to exert so that we don't have to fully reset every time we have a HC switch? Is that even possible? It just seems like programs like ours take a tough hit when we have to get a new HC. As the coaching carousel accelerates, what can be done by Cal to temper the effects (other than arm$ race)?

Is that all on the AD, or do we need some sort of Asst AD who focuses on BB and one for FB to help build continuity in the programs outside of the HC/AC teams that come and go? Does stuff like that already exist at all?
    Last edited by rkt88edmo; 03-19-2017 at 01:03 PM.

I think the title to this thread should be
    " We've been Cuonzo'd"

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    His main upside seems to be that he is connected with the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    His main upside seems to be that he is connected with the right people.
    This^^^

Quote Originally Posted by rkt88edmo View Post
    So how do we at Cal maintain legacy and continuity if we stay out of the arms race and become a "resume builder" P5 HC job?

What sort of intitutional admin do we have to exert so that we don't have to fully reset every time we have a HC switch? Is that even possible? It just seems like programs like ours take a tough hit when we have to get a new HC. As the coaching carousel accelerates, what can be done by Cal to temper the effects (other than arm$ race)?

Is that all on the AD, or do we need some sort of Asst AD who focuses on BB and one for FB to help build continuity in the programs outside of the HC/AC teams that come and go? Does stuff like that already exist at all?
    I keep wondering if the only answer to this question is "get lucky and land someone who's both a really good coach and loyal enough to Cal not to ever want to leave". See: Stanfurd football & David Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    When you look at the other coaching salaries, there will need to be a huge realignment. There about 30 coaches making less (often far less) than Underwood, who there would be a consensus are better coaches. If this trend continues, non-revenue sports are in deep trouble.
    Absolutely agree. The salary escalation within Division I is not sustainable unless expenses are cut in other areas. Non-revenue sports at many institutions will fall by the wayside if it continues.

Quote Originally Posted by 510Bear View Post
    I keep wondering if the only answer to this question is "get lucky and land someone who's both a really good coach and loyal enough to Cal not to ever want to leave". See: Stanfurd football & David Shaw.
    Sort of, IMHO. We need to pay to KEEP the right coach. Not pay to get the right coach. The other comment that only experienced D1 HC will be considered is very short sighted. Arguably the best coach to cone to Cal in last two generation in either football or basketball was an assistant at Oregon.

So who is the Video Kid? Don't assume everyone knows your nicknames. And initials, too. Is it too much to type out a name?

Quote Originally Posted by Larno View Post
    So who is the Video Kid? Don't assume everyone knows your nicknames. And initials, too. Is it too much to type out a name?
    He is also known as "The Kicker" (Joe Pasternack)