Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WOW: We are F'ed

You mean like Martin's offense took a vacation?

If any coach demands another practice facility - fire him. This arms race is getting beyond absurd.

Agree. No practice facility. Coaching at the #1 public university should be enough!

And the expenses?

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13 View Post
    Roughly 1/5 the seats?

Sadly I think what we are seeing (Indiana rumored to offer Alford 31 for 7 yrs.) is that other schools, with beaucoup football $$ are throwing it at other revenue sports (aka Basketball) to try to further increase profitability. Of course that isn't an option - where every cent of our football $$ has to go to pay off Sandy's folly.

Quote Originally Posted by oskidunker View Post
    Agree. No practice facility. Coaching at the #1 public university should be enough!
    "Come for the education! BUT, pick a major that won't interfere with our allotted gym time, as we have only have very specific windows in which to practice. Some of those times may be at a high school, so keep that in mind too when picking classes... Ok maybe the education isn't that important."

So much hypocrisy.
    Last edited by socaliganbear; 03-19-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    Sadly I think what we are seeing (Indiana rumored to offer Alford 31 for 7 yrs.) is that other schools, with beaucoup football $$ are throwing it at other revenue sports (aka Basketball) to try to further increase profitability. Of course that isn't an option - where every cent of our football $$ has to go to pay off Sandy's folly.
    Wow. Talk about deflecting responsibility.

Alums have bitched and moaned for decades about Cal Memorial's inadequacy as a stadium: lousy restrooms, lousy concessions locations, crummy ingress and egress, splintered and splintering bench seats, total lack of parking. On top of it, it has been recognition for decades that the football practice facilities have been inadequate to compete with other programs. The lack of football practice facilities are the primary reason why Bruce Snyder left Cal for Arizona State in January 1992.

Sandy Barbour did what she was hired to do: get the SAHPC built, and get Cal Memorial renovated and upgraded. And you call this "Sandy's folly"?

The folly is that Cal alums ***** and moan when they get what they ask for. Blaming Sandy Barbour for delivering on her charge is beneath contempt.

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Quote Originally Posted by FiatSlug View Post
    Wow. Talk about deflecting responsibility.

Alums have bitched and moaned for decades about Cal Memorial's inadequacy as a stadium: lousy restrooms, lousy concessions locations, crummy ingress and egress, splintered and splintering bench seats, total lack of parking. On top of it, it has been recognition for decades that the football practice facilities have been inadequate to compete with other programs. The lack of football practice facilities are the primary reason why Bruce Snyder left Cal for Arizona State in January 1992.

Sandy Barbour did what she was hired to do: get the SAHPC built, and get Cal Memorial renovated and upgraded. And you call this "Sandy's folly"?

The folly is that Cal alums ***** and moan when they get what they ask for. Blaming Sandy Barbour for delivering on her charge is beneath contempt.

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
    Bah.

Huge Investment built on the cheap (i.e. you didn't have all the money lined up so you could call it Mr. XX's California Memorial Stadium)

Didn't translate to more wins
    Didn't translate to more seats being sold
    Definitely required a quantum degrading of "game day experience" with every break using piped in music and ads to maximize every minute of potential revenue
    Meant that the AD operated in the red and means that as other schools have been able to invest in BB we are basically "stuck"

Look, I LIKE the new CMS but in retrospect it was a horrifically bad decision because it didn't take into account how shared revenue would be used by other programs. They didn't stand still or blow their proceeds at the craps table at the Sands. They took it and invested in THEIR programs. So the right decision by Sandy would have been to ask "What is the biggest bang I can get for this windfall to the AD over the long term (10-20 years)? Building a palace at CMS seems not the proper investment as opposed to, for example.....

A) Set aside X for ongoing maintenance at CMS. Repaint and refurbish the benches on a more regular basis
    B) Build a weight room someplace on Campus with a joint use film room/lecture hall
    C) Invest in BB
    D) Invest in coaching staff Salaries

There. Those are much better ways to spend the money because as we pretty much have shown - winning takes care of incremental attendance. Pretty buildings? Not so much.

Bah.

Huge Investment built on the cheap (i.e. you didn't have all the money lined up so you could call it Mr. XX's California Memorial Stadium)

Didn't translate to more wins
    Didn't translate to more seats being sold
    Definitely required a quantum degrading of "game day experience" with every break using piped in music and ads to maximize every minute of potential revenue
    Meant that the AD operated in the red and means that as other schools have been able to invest in BB we are basically "stuck"

Look, I LIKE the new CMS but in retrospect it was a horrifically bad decision because it didn't take into account how shared revenue would be used by other programs. They didn't stand still or blow their proceeds at the craps table at the Sands. They took it and invested in THEIR programs. So the right decision by Sandy would have been to ask "What is the biggest bang I can get for this windfall to the AD over the long term (10-20 years)? Building a palace at CMS seems not the proper investment as opposed to, for example.....

A) Set aside X for ongoing maintenance at CMS. Repaint and refurbish the benches on a more regular basis
    B) Build a weight room someplace on Campus with a joint use film room/lecture hall
    C) Invest in BB
    D) Invest in coaching staff Salaries

There. Those are much better ways to spend the money because as we pretty much have shown - winning takes care of incremental attendance. Pretty buildings? Not so much.
    Cal did not spend a dime on facilities for 60 years, unlike all the other Pac 8, 10, &12 schools did.
    While Cal had no female locker rooms for many Women's sports, other schools did regular needed upgrades all through the years.
    The SAHPC was just delayed spending. Pay me now, or pay me later.
    Cal's inability to manage finances goes way back. and they're paying for it through the nose now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkiadt View Post
    Cal did not spend a dime on facilities for 60 years, unlike all the other Pac 8, 10, &12 schools did.
    While Cal had no female locker rooms for many Women's sports, other schools did regular needed upgrades all through the years.
    The SAHPC was just delayed spending. Pay me now, or pay me later.
    Cal's inability to manage finances goes way back. and they're paying for it through the nose now.
    Not true. Harmon to Haas and several additions/renovations to non-revenue sport venues.

The issue is that rather than do some of this off site (yes, I know, landlocked university and space exceeedingly tight) they then had to go in and do huge amounts of renovations.

Would they be screwed if the Hayward Fault let lose on game day? Yes. But doing the SAHPC and then having to do all the earth quake upgrades were very expensive compared to a more efficient solution.

So now we will not be able to pay what is clear is the going rate (2 to 3 million) and probably not get the practice facility in less than a decade (if that)

Not true. Harmon to Haas and several additions/renovations to non-revenue sport venues.

The issue is that rather than do some of this off site (yes, I know, landlocked university and space exceeedingly tight) they then had to go in and do huge amounts of renovations.

Would they be screwed if the Hayward Fault let lose on game day? Yes. But doing the SAHPC and then having to do all the earth quake upgrades were very expensive compared to a more efficient solution.

So now we will not be able to pay what is clear is the going rate (2 to 3 million) and probably not get the practice facility in less than a decade (if that)
    What was your more efficient solution?
    Building on the fault was costly but there was no other on campus site.
    The SAHPC built locker rooms and space for 13 other sports that needed it, so Cal did not actually spend money along the way as you say.

Thank god we can't afford to drop down to Fcs because we have crazy debt.

The SAHPC built locker rooms and space for 13 other sports that needed it, so Cal did not actually spend money along the way as you say.
    The most obvious one to think about is a partially underground structure with playing surface on top where Hearst Field is. More central to campus for student athletes and you avoid the seismic considerations. If you don't want a central location lets look at the Strawberry Canyon facility and with some of the cost savings expand/upgrade Hearst. Building at CMS is the most costly option.

I wondered why FB couldn't move to Edward Field --with all the upgrades as SAHPC-- given all the geographic advantages (closer to downtown business districts, access major public transit systems = less parking demand and traffic, proximity to other sport venues, not having to climb a hill, less exposure risk if the big one hit the fault during game day) over Memorial Stadium. Was the history/tradition, Bay views, and tightwad hill the over riding consideration?