Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roll Over Beethoven Tell Tchaikovsky the News

Roll Over Beethoven Tell Tchaikovsky the News

Rip

Quote Originally Posted by GB54 View Post
    Rip
    He defined modern Rock n'roll. You are not a guitar player unless you can play Chuck's riff for Johnny B Goode....what was interesting was that he was so much older than his audiences, and they could care less about his multiple legal issues. Years ago, kEith Richards put together a "real" band to back Chuck for a concert in St. Louis. Berry was undisciplined, but he was an original.

He usually didn't travel with a band, just picked up sidemen on the fly. I saw him by chance at the California Youth Authority on the central coast in the late 70's. The local sidemen looked like they had died and gone to rock n roll heaven. Chuck cracked the whip and everyone else tried to keep up

Chuck played once a month in a tiny club in St Louis. Saw him there the week one of my Cal friends got married. Maybe 150 people in a room roughly the size of the basement of Larry Blake's.

RIP Chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by XXXBEAR View Post
    ... what was interesting was
    all the scandalous scatological tales about that cat ... ; love 'Promised Land', covered well by the Dead, one of the alltime great road to Cali songs

Quote Originally Posted by XXXBEAR View Post
    He defined modern Rock n'roll. You are not a guitar player unless you can play Chuck's riff for Johnny B Goode...
    If you're starting a teenage garage band, learning Chuck Berry songs is where to start. It's the foundation for everything.

And those songs are still fun to listen to, even to this day.

The man's music defined the word "momentum".

He might not have invented rock and roll but he was within sniffing distance. Eccentric and difficult even by rock standards, he was nevertheless a huge influence and pioneer. The last few decades he traveled lean and mean. The local promoter had to provide a back-up band and a certain amplifier. Berry would show up a few minutes before going on, take his guitar out of the car, collect his money and plug in. A nod at the local musicians and he was off, and they had better stay up with him. No rehearsals, everyone knew his songs. That he lived to 90 is remarkable; or as my wife said when I told her "He's still alive?"

True Blue Golden Bear going4roses's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Larno View Post
    He might not have invented rock and roll but he was within sniffing distance. Eccentric and difficult even by rock standards, he was nevertheless a huge influence and pioneer. The last few decades he traveled lean and mean. The local promoter had to provide a back-up band and a certain amplifier. Berry would show up a few minutes before going on, take his guitar out of the car, collect his money and plug in. A nod at the local musicians and he was off, and they had better stay up with him. No rehearsals, everyone knew his songs. That he lived to 90 is remarkable; or as my wife said when I told her "He's still alive?"
    Damn

Of course, he stole his sound from Marty McFly, courtesy of Chuck's cousin, Marvin.

He stole all his licks from John and Paul

This is exactly what happened back in the 1980s (?) sorry, can't completely remember. The Steve Miller Band was contracted to back him in some Bay Area venue, and Chuck just started playing on his own. Miller recalled in an article in the Chron, that it took him (Miller) the first couple of numbers to realize what key Chuck was playing in. Berry just showed up, started playing, and left everyone else to figure out how to back him.

Quote Originally Posted by Number 031343 View Post
    This is exactly what happened back in the 1980s (?) sorry, can't completely remember. The Steve Miller Band was contracted to back him in some Bay Area venue, and Chuck just started playing on his own. Miller recalled in an article in the Chron, that it took him (Miller) the first couple of numbers to realize what key Chuck was playing in. Berry just showed up, started playing, and left everyone else to figure out how to back him.
    It was a blues riff in B. How could Steve not know that immediately? All you gotta do is watch him for the changes and try to keep up.

Recommend the documentary " Hail Hail Rock n Roll" for any fan of Chuck's or Rock and roll. Keith Richard tells a great story of how he touched Chuck's guitar backstage whereupon Chuck came in and punched him in the mouth. Keith tells the story with this slavish look like this was the thing that made his career all worthwhile

Chuck's playin that great gig in the sky now.

Roll Over Beethoven, one of the ultimate rock & roll songs. Everyone's covered it.

In this version, ELO throws in everything but the kitchen sink :