Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washington Rumored to be looking at 'Cuse Assistant Mike Hopkins

Washington Rumored to be looking at 'Cuse Assistant Mike Hopkins

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Washington expected to hire Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins, sources told ESPN. <a href="https://t.co/1y7bDWxFSF">https://t.co/1y7bDWxFSF</a></p>&mdash; Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/843480920187314176">March 19, 2017</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Really interesting. I guess he got tired of waiting on Jimmy to finally retire. Good hire.

Real Bear
    Not rumor anymore.

It was fast partly because UW didn't use a useless search firm.

Quote Originally Posted by SFBear2012 View Post
    Wow that was fast
    They don't have all the Cal baggage issues with fit. Now that FSU is out of the Dance, we might see a quicker hire (my speculation). Still could be an assistant (or they keep an assistant as Associate Head Coach) .

Hiring an assistant is always a risk. You just don't know what you're getting. Hopkins was in line to succeed Boeheim, so it's interesting he made this move. Makes you wonder just how long Boeheim will still coach (he's 72) or whether Cuse told Hopkins he wasn't guaranteed the job when Boeheim is done.

Interesting. Hopkins seems like he's been a candidate for about 100 different coaching searches and for a really long time. Interesting that someone finally pulled the lever for him. But wasn't he supposed to be the coach in waiting after Boeheim retired?

Interesting too because Syracuse has had a lot of NCAA issues and Hopkins has been smack dab in the middle of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSouseFamily View Post
    Interesting. Hopkins seems like he's been a candidate for about 100 different coaching searches and for a really long time. Interesting that someone finally pulled the lever for him. But wasn't he supposed to be the coach in waiting after Boeheim retired?

Interesting too because Syracuse has had a lot of NCAA issues and Hopkins has been smack dab in the middle of it.
    USC chose Enfield over Hopkins 4 years ago. There are rumors that Jason Hart is set to join Hopkins at UW.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    USC chose Enfield over Hopkins 4 years ago. There are rumors that Jason Hart is set to join Hopkins at UW.
    That would make a lot of sense.

Dick to Tony Bennett worked out bigly for WSU, but not so much for Hopkins at 'Cuse or Muschamp with UT football.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Hiring an assistant is always a risk. You just don't know what you're getting. Hopkins was in line to succeed Boeheim, so it's interesting he made this move. Makes you wonder just how long Boeheim will still coach (he's 72) or whether Cuse told Hopkins he wasn't guaranteed the job when Boeheim is done.
    I don't disagree, however I think that there is real risk in ANY new hire in hoops or football. I concede that there is a bit more risk in hiring an assistant as there isn't a direct body of work to judge but we've all seen numerous examples of coaches with head coaching experience who can't duplicate their prior success at a new location.

I don't have a big problem with the unknown as long as the contract duration for an unproven coach isn't too long.

Quote Originally Posted by BearBackerinLA View Post
    think Jones stays at Cal, regardless of who is HC in order to try and retain the recruiting class.