Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53

Thread: Should Cal hire another assistant coach to be our head coach?

  1. #1
    Loyal Bear
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kezar Pavilion
    Posts
    3,331

    Should Cal hire another assistant coach to be our head coach?

    I am going to say this just one time.

    I ask anyone who thinks Cal should hire an assistant coach to be our next head coach to consider this:

    Cal has hired only 4 assistant coaches in its history, and ALL have been nice fellows, but as coaches have been horrible, unmitigated disasters.

    1. Rene Herrerias. Outstanding assistant coach, and the greatest scout of opponents on the planet. He took what was the NCAA runner-up program from glory into the tank. His record over 8 years and 4 losing seasons was 40-67 in conference, 37.4%.

    2. Jim Padgett. The greatest recruiter in Cal history. One season’s team sent all five starters to the NBA. One started for the Warriors NBA champions, and another started for the runner-up Bullets, winning a ring later with Seattle. Padgett's record over 4 years and 3 losing seasons was 23-33 in conference, 41.1%

    3. Dick Kuchen. Great assistant at Notre Dame, and according to Digger Phelps was the best teacher of motion offense in the business. Great teacher of big men. His record over 7 years and 5 losing seasons was 37-89 in conference, 29.4%

    4. Todd Bozeman. The second greatest recruiter in Cal history (only second greatest because got caught paying people under the table, putting Cal on NCAA probation). Bozeman couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag. His record over 4 years and one losing season was 23-41 in conference, 35.9%.

    The combined conference record for these assistant coaches who became Cal’s head coach is 23 seasons, 123-230, or 34.8% winning percentage. The combined overall record was 259-328, or 44.1%

    I realize many of us have good feelings about Pasternak, Theo, Gates, and Jones, but is it too much to ask them to first get some head coaching experience elsewhere, before hiring them? If Cal makes another hiring mistake, we fans lose another 3-5 years at least, in our quest for our team’s success. So please, please, think twice before you recommend another assistant coach be hired to assume the most important position in the Cal basketball program.

    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” – George Santayana 1905

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCityBear View Post
    Cal has hired only 4 assistant coaches in its history, and ALL have been nice fellows, but as coaches have been horrible, unmitigated disasters.
    Thanks, that's a pretty convincing argument regarding the situation at Cal. Do you think it extends to other P5 schools?

  3. #3
    I want a coach who can coach a team and the players up, more than being a good recruiter.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCityBear View Post
    I am going to say this just one time.

    I ask anyone who thinks Cal should hire an assistant coach to be our next head coach to consider this:

    Cal has hired only 4 assistant coaches in its history, and ALL have been nice fellows, but as coaches have been horrible, unmitigated disasters.

    1. Rene Herrerias. Outstanding assistant coach, and the greatest scout of opponents on the planet. He took what was the NCAA runner-up program from glory into the tank. His record over 8 years and 4 losing seasons was 40-67 in conference, 37.4%.

    2. Jim Padgett. The greatest recruiter in Cal history. One season’s team sent all five starters to the NBA. One started for the Warriors NBA champions, and another started for the runner-up Bullets, winning a ring later with Seattle. Padgett's record over 4 years and 3 losing seasons was 23-33 in conference, 41.1%

    3. Dick Kuchen. Great assistant at Notre Dame, and according to Digger Phelps was the best teacher of motion offense in the business. Great teacher of big men. His record over 7 years and 5 losing seasons was 37-89 in conference, 29.4%

    4. Todd Bozeman. The second greatest recruiter in Cal history (only second greatest because got caught paying people under the table, putting Cal on NCAA probation). Bozeman couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag. His record over 4 years and one losing season was 23-41 in conference, 35.9%.

    The combined conference record for these assistant coaches who became Cal’s head coach is 23 seasons, 123-230, or 34.8% winning percentage. The combined overall record was 259-328, or 44.1%

    I realize many of us have good feelings about Pasternak, Theo, Gates, and Jones, but is it too much to ask them to first get some head coaching experience elsewhere, before hiring them? If Cal makes another hiring mistake, we fans lose another 3-5 years at least, in our quest for our team’s success. So please, please, think twice before you recommend another assistant coach be hired to assume the most important position in the Cal basketball program.

    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” – George Santayana 1905
    Just to pick a perhaps not so small nit (because, at this point, I am decidedly neutral on the whole question): Pasternak has had some head coaching experience elsewhere - which has been the subject of some interesting controversy on this Board since Cuonzo bolted.

  5. #5
    Golden Bear mbBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bala Cynwyd, Pa. (near Philly)
    Posts
    5,551
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTopOneChickenApple View Post
    I want a coach who can coach a team and the players up, more than being a good recruiter.
    I'll take the recruiter, thanks.

  6. #6
    Real Bear BeachedBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Havering at Manny's
    Posts
    1,988
    I could pick a few nits as well:

    1. D1 basketball - and more importantly, Cal's position in it has changed many times accross the 4 names mentioned above.
    2. The number of D1 coaching postions is much higher than in the past (except maybe Bozeman, which was really a unique situation). The competition is higher and some more risks need to be taken.
    3. The financial (and internal political situation) at Cal is a little tricky right now. We should be careful throwing money to buy a fancy name (Dykes syndrome).

    However, your point is well taken about assistants. My concern is that the hiring team will not CONSIDER anyone without HC experience. That is probably not true and just hot air, but it does frustrate me when organization tie their own hands. I don't see any problem in including an assistant or two in a group of 5 or 6 candidates and comparing their relative merits in the decision process.


  7. #7
    Real Bear
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    East of Tomales Bay; west of Eagle Lake; south of Sauvie Island; north of Pismo Beach
    Posts
    1,916
    Quote Originally Posted by mbBear View Post
    I'll take the recruiter, thanks.
    Coach Jim Padgett must have been ahead of his time. He couldn't coach, but he could recruit.

    That raises the question: Could Coach John Wooden coach or did he make deals and write self-improvement pamphlets?

    Last edited by joe yaks; 03-20-2017 at 07:20 AM.

  8. #8

  9. #9

  10. #10
    I don't buy it. Every HC has to be an assistant at some point, just about. I'd rather take a chance with Gates or Theo than anyone else besides Crean.

  11. #11
    Interesting post, SFCity; however, it is too small a sample size to draw firm conclusions. For one thing, Cal has hired a number of former head coaches that have not worked out well: Dick Edwards, Ben Braun, Lou Campanelli. Furthermore, every--or nearly every--head coach was once an assistant, and they all had a 1st head coaching job. Some of them succeeded spectacularly (not here, obviously, but then since Pete Newell, no one has succeeded here that much), some not so much.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by geebear View Post
    Wilner's take on UW hiring a 'career assistant' http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/2...-mike-hopkins/
    He is simply prepping for when we hire an assistant. As we learned in college it is ALWAYS good to get a first draft out of the way and get some feedback. That way when he really needs to write a hum dinger ripping cal for hiring an assistant or what he will see as a "meh" hire he can apply the constructive feedback he gets from this missive and really let lose.

    Good Job Jim. Good job.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by mbBear View Post
    I'll take the recruiter, thanks.
    Concur

  14. #14
    Obviously every head coach was an assistant at some point, but with 347 division 1 teams, I would expect a P12 school (especially one in a major metropolitan area) to be able to hire a coach that has already demonstrated some success coaching D1.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBear2012 View Post
    Obviously every head coach was an assistant at some point, but with 347 division 1 teams, I would expect a P12 school (especially one in a major metropolitan area) to be able to hire a coach that has already demonstrated some success coaching D1.
    +1




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •