Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Second Round: CAL vs Baylor

Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    we are out rebounding (by 1) best rebounding in the nation
    that needs to continue
    also no one in foul trouble

baylor with a lot of assists
    that ain't good
    We have length but no shooting, probably not a personnel issue...

halftime: Cal is shooting 25% from the floor and has set a season high of 14 TOs in the first half. Anigwe & Cowling have 6 & 3, respectively. The Golden Bears are giving up 11 more shots per half to the Lady Bears due to the turnovers...This is initial embarrassment for the Pac 12 Conference in the NCAA Tournament. The six other conference teams have been competitive...Anigwe has 11 points and nobody else on the team has more than one basket. Compare our talent to Baylor's loaded group with #8 or #9 player, Chou, hitting back-to-back threes.
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 03-20-2017 at 06:10 PM.

All season it has been the same. First thing announcers say about Cal: turnovers. Why no improvements on this over the season? 13 in first half?
    ~The Bear will not quilt. The Bear will not dye.~

Range needs to look for her shot. Come on, Courtney, this is likely your last college game.

As so often the case, the other team seems decisive, while Cal does not--> turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    we are out rebounding (by 1) best rebounding in the nation
    Kalani Brown only played 1 minute due to 2 quick fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by Strykur View Post
    We have length but no shooting, probably not a personnel issue...
    Nobody besides Kristine seems willing or able to take a quick shot off a catch or while moving. And against Baylor it's gonna be quick or nothing.

Baylor very good...but that doesn't excuse Cal's sloppiness and so often looking like they haven't a clue. The difference in execution is obvious. If I'm Lindsay, I take a long look in the mirror after this game and this season.

How many beautiful passes by Baylor would have been rushed or panicked if it was Cal and been a turnover? How many drives to basket does Baylor slow down and go straight up for easy bank, while Cal drive is out of control and ends in off balance heck at the hoop. No composure or fundamentals.
    ~The Bear will not quilt. The Bear will not dye.~

4 points scored with 4 minutes left in a quarter is horrendously bad.

I think the tourney experience will be good long term for this team but let's hope Lindsay just doesn't rely on the "one more year of experience and we'll be better" routine. All these players need to get better. Cowling has taken a major step back. She had 12 turnovers in the first-round game and simply can't shoot anymore. Cayton and Thomas both have to become more consistent shooters. It's just not good enough to get athletes, you have to get ballplayers who can hit midrange jumpers and make banked layups. This is women's basketball, you can't just throw it into Anigwe like she's Shaq and she'll score every time. She's going to get triple teamed. Also, Cal needs a legit point guard, a real floor leader. The whole point forward thing with Cowling doesn't work, she is erratic at best with the ball.

I am not familiar with who we have coming in next year with recruits but Lindsay can't throw out the same team next year and just expect improvement. She has to put these players through a heck of an offseason program and also nab another shooter or two from the high school ranks. Glad to see the ladies make the tournament but I think Cal saw what happens when you play a Top 5 team with no weakness. The Bears got crushed.
    Last edited by gwashburn14; 03-20-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Final 86-46. Ugly, but nowhere near 119-30.

Kristine did way more than her share. 11 turnovers looked bad but most were ripped out of her hands on double and triple teams which wouldn't have been there if we had more scorers around her.

Jaelyn again played like she was on fire, I'm hoping to see much more of that next season. I'm also hoping Kianna and Sara will add some scoring punch. But I'm worried about depth at PF with nobody behind Penina.

Baylor 24 assists on 34 baskets and Cal 9 assists on 17 buckets tells it all about offensive efficiency with the result of Baylor shooting 48% and Cal 29%.
    Even when Baylor cleared the bench, they still ran a set where there was weak side down screen's for the guard to curl to top of key to receive the pass for wide open three.
    Sue Bird commented on Cal being too reliant on Anigwe which made it easier to defend by collapsing 2/3 defenders on tne catch. Game of adjustments.........

Yikes, it might have been better to lose by a couple points in the 1st round to LSU than get blown out this badly in round 2.

Quote Originally Posted by kat0189 View Post
    Yikes, it might have been better to lose by a couple points in the 1st round to LSU than get blown out this badly in round 2.
    It looks bad but I think the experience will be good for us. Let's see what Baylor does next week.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachAKoch View Post
    Baylor 24 assists on 34 baskets and Cal 9 assists on 17 buckets tells it all about offensive efficiency with the result of Baylor shooting 48% and Cal 29%.
    Even when Baylor cleared the bench, they still ran a set where there was weak side down screen's for the guard to curl to top of key to receive the pass for wide open three.
    Sue Bird commented on Cal being too reliant on Anigwe which made it easier to defend by collapsing 2/3 defenders on tne catch. Game of adjustments.........
    Same offense year after year.