Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NCAA Second Round: CAL vs Baylor

when I saw 24 assists, I had a double-take. I thought it must have been 24 rebounds.

That's an astonishing number of assists.

however there was one fast break near the end where at least 3 players were back, yet no one took the wing player so she got the pass an an uncontested layup.

that is just criminal defense. all fast breaks are taught with players in a lane, and then the outside lane players either step to the 3 point line or angle to the basket. it's basketball fast break 101.

our players are missing some defensive fundamentals.

then on offense, we seem to be able to slash, but rarely can kick to get an open shot, and our inside passes are usually turnovers

I was happy for Courtney as she had some success on offense, scoring 8 points and 2-3 from deep
    I was also happy for the team in general as earning a NCAA tournament berth and then winning a first round game is a big step forward

It's a learning experience and we are young. our rotation is:
    seniors: courtney
    juniors: cowling, pena
    sophs: Kristina, Asha
    freshmen: Cayton, Jaelyn, CJ

we also have soph Chen and redshirt soph Sara
    plus a talented incoming class with Kianna Smith (All-American) and Styles

hopefully Chen can contribute more as our front court doesn't have much depth

Quote Originally Posted by CoachAKoch View Post
    Baylor 24 assists on 34 baskets and Cal 9 assists on 17 buckets tells it all about offensive efficiency with the result of Baylor shooting 48% and Cal 29%.
    Even when Baylor cleared the bench, they still ran a set where there was weak side down screen's for the guard to curl to top of key to receive the pass for wide open three.
    Sue Bird commented on Cal being too reliant on Anigwe which made it easier to defend by collapsing 2/3 defenders on tne catch. Game of adjustments.........
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

UConn only won by 30. Cal lost by 40 points! Baylor wins by 34 on average. When was the last time that Cal women's bball lost by forty points? HC Gottlieb & Cal received a gift being selected to March Madness. All seven Pac 12 teams won their opener in the NCAA Tourney which is impressive. However, 5 teams advanted to the Sweet Sixteen while ASU lost by 3 points to #1 seed South Carolina. Those six teams deserve their respective invitations to the dance but Cal embarrassed themselves tonight. Gottlieb bought herself another year as coach but she better show some improvement as a coach next season or else. Is the coach of Quinnipiac available? The # 12 seed won its second consecutive upset by 7 points over #4 seed Miami and is also off to the Sweet 16!
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 03-20-2017 at 08:26 PM.

Nothing I didn't expect.

Can Baylor match up with UConn?

I would have liked to see us compete. Like I said before I wouldn't mind us losing I just didn't want to see a blow out...and that it was.
    I've watched Baylor and yes, they have a lot of seniors, they are athletic and they play with agression. We need to play agressive;we have skilled, athletic, players.
    Of the Baylor games I've watched, this is the first time I've seen Coach Mulkey play her freshmen for good stretches (she usually plugs them in at the end when they are blowing teams out) especially in tournament game...her freshmen against our team was also showing us up and that shouldn't happen, we have more heart than that-we just had one of those games...

Baylor just beat #4 seed Louisville 97-63, so it's looking to me like Baylor really is that good.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    Baylor just beat #4 seed Louisville 97-63, so it's looking to me like Baylor really is that good.
    Indeed.

34 points?? That's embarassing. Yikes, it might have been better to lose in the 2nd round than get blown out this badly in round 3.

Baylor wins by 34 on average! When was the last time that Louisville lost by 34 points? Louisville only lost 4 games and finished 4th in the 'powerhouse' ACC? The ACC should be ashamed. 29-8 overall, and ranked 13/12th in the country?... the country should be embarassed!

97 points? That's criminal -- even pathetic just-off-the-bubble Cal only gave up 86! Head coach Walz should take a long look in the mirror, then be fired, than be tried for criminally negligent defense and sentenced to watch game film of Cal's D (while Gottlieb has to watch Louisville's O).

And Stanford just beat #3 seed Texas for the 2nd time this year -- Texas, the only team other than UConn with a regular season victory against.... Baylor.

Go Lady Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by CalWBBFan View Post
    Indeed.
    A few nuggets from the Louisville fans' message board.... (just sayin')

"Baylor is a great team, but this Embarrassing and makes me sad.
    The team crumbles, again, lack of leadership on the floor.
    What exactly was our defensive game plan this evening???"

"We didn't seem to have an offensive or defensive game plan. Seemed like we were just happy to make the S16 to me. Team did not look ready or motivated to play the game"

"No leadership and our Juniors have really not done anything to improve their game. Players just getting schooled at all aspects of the game. Pathetic way to end the season."

"What a mastermind...I think he [Walz] needs a new nickname."

Washington Huskies were eliminated tonight by 11 points by another huge team inside, Mississippi State. The Bulldogs possess a post tandem standing 6-7 & 6-5. If Baylor can get by MSU in the Elite Eight matchup, I think that they could pull off an upset of UConn. Btw, in my initial women's bracket, I had UDub upsetting UConn for the NCAA championship.
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 03-26-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Mississippi State had only 4 turnovers and guard Morgan William scored 41 as they beat Baylor in OT. I'm shocked after what Baylor did to other opponents. Congrats to Mississippi State, they really have something going!

Mississippi State had only 4 turnovers and guard Morgan William scored 41 as they beat Baylor in OT. I'm shocked after what Baylor did to other opponents. Congrats to Mississippi State, they really have something going!
    I'm not shocked. Miss State has been outstanding all year. Baylor a bit overrated.

Basketball Mississippi State has a tenacious defense that could cause any opponent problems.

I could not turn the game off and watched the entire thing. I don't usually do that for teams that I don't follow or have an emotional interest in...It was one of the best women's college basketball games that I have ever seen!

Quote Originally Posted by GOCAL73 View Post
    I'm not shocked. Miss State has been outstanding all year. Baylor a bit overrated.
    Who should have been rated above Baylor then (other than Miss St, who actually played a weaker OOC schedule)?