Thread: Every Coach and Parent of a young athlete should watch this

True Blue Golden Bear MinotStateBeav's Avatar

Every Coach and Parent of a young athlete should watch this

Geno Auriemma on Body Language

Really good stuff! My wife made our volleyball playing daughter watch it as soon as she got home��

I don't agree with it. not all 'kids' have a bad attitude. you see what you want to see.
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Interesting how other coaches told Auriemma that since he has better bench players he can do this, but they can't....

And his response.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    I don't agree with it. not all 'kids' have a bad attitude. you see what you want to see.
    I'm sorry, but this is just wrong at the youth level. What one player sees in another players body language has a huge impact on the whole team in terms of communication, energy and coordination. It probably means almost nothing at the NBA level, and has little impact at the D1 level, but in HS and younger -it is often a key component in what a coach is looking for in players.

I'm not a fan of Geno, but he is correct on this point IMHO.

What about the coaches' body language?

A professional youth sports coach in my Facebook feed also posted this video and has posted others like it in the past. The underlying message always seems to be that professional youth coaches are these wise, impartial mentors who care only about helping all their players develop into the best they can be--but pushy parents and kids with bad attitudes always get in the way of their noble mission.

Although overly-intense parents and bratty kids can, of course, be a big problem in youth sports, coaches who play favorites, engage in petty politicking in their little world and who yell and scream at, say, 9 year-olds can also be a problem--one that might exacerbate the problem of dispirited kids with poor body language. I know that kids have to learn to tough it out sometimes and that sports teaches them to deal with adversity, etc., but I can't help but often find videos like this sanctimonious and self-serving.
    Last edited by cedarbear; 03-21-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cedarbear View Post
    A professional youth sports coach in my Facebook feed also posted this video and has posted others like it in the past. The underlying message always seems to be that professional youth coaches are these wise, impartial mentors who care only about helping all their players develop into the best they can be--but pushy parents and kids with bad attitudes always get in the way of their noble mission.

Although overly-intense parents and bratty kids can, of course, be a big problem in youth sports, coaches who play favorites, engage in petty politicking in their little world and who yell and scream at, say, 9 year-olds can also be a problem--one that might exacerbate the problem of dispirited kids with poor body language. I know that kids have to learn to tough it out sometimes and that sports teaches them to deal with adversity, etc., but I can't help but often find videos like this sanctimonious and self-serving.
    +1

So easy to see the fault in others...

MUST REED! Geno is right on the money. Go watch Archbishop Mitty play! Every player is selfless.

You misunderstood me. Sorry I wasn't clearer
    I agree attitudes (and body language are key)
    What I disagree with is 'all kids...'

speaking specifically about youth basketball through HS I see much more good attitudes and body language than not

My point is his statement about attitude is right but he is blowing it up as a national crisis when it's not

Quote Originally Posted by BeachedBear View Post
    I'm sorry, but this is just wrong at the youth level. What one player sees in another players body language has a huge impact on the whole team in terms of communication, energy and coordination. It probably means almost nothing at the NBA level, and has little impact at the D1 level, but in HS and younger -it is often a key component in what a coach is looking for in players.

I'm not a fan of Geno, but he is correct on this point IMHO.
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    You misunderstood me. Sorry I wasn't clearer
    I agree attitudes (and body language are key)
    What I disagree with is 'all kids...'

speaking specifically about youth basketball through HS I see much more good attitudes and body language than not

My point is his statement about attitude is right but he is blowing it up as a national crisis when it's not
    Got it! And agree wholeheartedly. For the most part, youth sports is mostly good kids, parents and coaches. It only takes a couple bad examples to bring it to crisis level.