Thread: Cal Bakersfield

Cal Bakersfield

WOW. Blowing out CSU.

I guess they just want it more.

I'm left to wonder what the point of the post season NIT is. A poor vestige of the long ago time when it was THE top college tournament, which, like a bad case of jock itch, refuses to go away? A tournament that crowns the 69th best team in NCAA DI basketball? Yet another opportunity for a bit of television revenue, regardless of how much it is ignored? An alternative to Jerry Springer? A way to keep participating student atheletes out of the classroom for even more time?

The NIT is a true "no win" event for any Power 5 school: lose at any stage, and it is proven how bad your team really is; Win the tournament, and the school gains virtually no additional respect because this is the "loser tournament."

If Cal isn't good enough to get into the Big Dance, I for one vote to send our student atheletes back to their classes while the coaches all try to snag higher paying gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear19 View Post
    I'm left to wonder what the point of the post season NIT is. A poor vestige of the long ago time when it was THE top college tournament, which, like a bad case of jock itch, refuses to go away? A tournament that crowns the 69th best team in NCAA DI basketball? Yet another opportunity for a bit of television revenue, regardless of how much it is ignored? An alternative to Jerry Springer? A way to keep participating student atheletes out of the classroom for even more time?

The NIT is a true "no win" event for any Power 5 school: lose at any stage, and it is proven how bad your team really is; Win the tournament, and the school gains virtually no additional respect because this is the "loser tournament."

If Cal isn't good enough to get into the Big Dance, I for one vote to send our student atheletes back to their classes while the coaches all try to snag higher paying gigs.
    The point of the NIT is "some more basketball". Some like that idea, others do not.

At least it rewards players (with the desire play, natch) on teams with >0.500 records with some additional practice time / travel experiences (especially if they make it to MSG).

As opposed to football, where 6-6 (and sometimes 5-7) teams are rewarded with bowl "experiences".

I'm not a fan of the NIT, but I wonder about the consequence of declining a bid (does anyone do that?). Unlike the CBI and whatever the 4th ranked tournament is called, the NIT is run by the NCAA. I can see them holding a refusal to play (and generate more revenue for the NCAA) against a school in terms of selections in future years.

NIT is great for smaller programs
    Not so much for P5 teams
    And playing in NIT is better than watching NCAA on TV for the players
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

For an offensively challenged team, they have shot the ball really well.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    NIT is great for smaller programs
    Not so much for P5 teams
    And playing in NIT is better than watching NCAA on TV for the players
    Agreed. I think there is definitely value in the NIT tourney. Even for some P5 teams that have not seen a lot of recent success (Oregon State?)

If Bakersfield makes it to MSG, that would be huge for them.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky23 View Post
    Agreed. I think there is definitely value in the NIT tourney. Even for some P5 teams that have not seen a lot of recent success (Oregon State?)

If Bakersfield makes it to MSG, that would be huge for them.
    Is there a reason not to pull for them? I don't see any!

Players want to play (Rabb excepted). The NIT allows the players to play more games. Resume value should not be the issue.

My daughter has an NCAA basketball championship ring from .... Bakersfield. It was Division 2 and maybe 1991. She worked in the athletic department for Cal running back from the early 60s - Rudy Carvahal who was AD.

We also got an unlucky draw in Bakersfield. An 8 seed playing likesn ncaa tournament team