Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Goal for next year: Consistent offense from someone else besides Anigwe

  1. #1

    Goal for next year: Consistent offense from someone else besides Anigwe

    The level of consistency from anyone outside of Anigwe was atrocious. It didn't take genius to recognize what Cal's game plan was. There was no point in guarding anybody besides her. They need to stop being so reliant on Anigwe and take the load off her. Players like Micayla, Asha, Mi'cole, and Jaelyn need to trust themselves, be more aggressive, and take more shots. This team has too much talent to waste being just a body that lobs it to one player that's triple teamed every time.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by dpy View Post
    The level of consistency from anyone outside of Anigwe was atrocious. It didn't take genius to recognize what Cal's game plan was. There was no point in guarding anybody besides her. They need to stop being so reliant on Anigwe and take the load off her. Players like Micayla, Asha, Mi'cole, and Jaelyn need to trust themselves, be more aggressive, and take more shots. This team has too much talent to waste being just a body that lobs it to one player that's triple teamed every time.
    100% correct.
    What a waste of talent, it's coaching girls and boys....

  3. #3
    Every year the offense is the same...throw to the triple teamed low post player.

  4. #4
    Anigwe had 11 turnovers last night and Cowling had 12 turnovers vs LSU. Cowling's majority were attempted entry passes to KA. Probably 60% of the TOs have to do with trying to get Anigwe the ball.


    Gottlieb recruits "athletes" that are not good shooters and hopes that they improve...I've always felt that shooting skills are natural: either one has it or they don't...One can improve on those inate skills via practice. One could easily make a long list of local stars that either Cal passed on or they passed on Cal. I'm talking about ones that became Div I starters...

    Cal has faded to the bottom third (4 teams) in the Pac 12 Conference. Utah owns Cal (four consecutive conference victories) and Colorado is rising team built around four sophomores. Arizona is the hopeless cellar dweller. The Bears need to perform better than 4-14 (2015-16) or 6-12 (2016-17) in conference or their program is a joke.

    The team has no identity as a rebounding juggernaut, a tough defensive team (like Cuonzo's mens team #1 in conference) or a offensive powerhouse. Nada. One double-digit scorer on the entire team. No structured offense to set screens to free up Asha Thomas for a three...This is Gottlieb's final season coming up and she had better have the Bears finish in the top half of the Pac 12 or bye bye.

    GO BEARS!
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 03-21-2017 at 09:37 AM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
    Anigwe had 11 turnovers last night and Cowling had 12 turnovers vs LSU. Cowling's majority were attempted entry passes to KA. Probably 60% of the TOs have to do with trying to get Anigwe the ball.


    Gottlieb recruits "athletes" that are not good shooters and hopes that they improve...I've always felt that shooting skills are natural: either one has it or they don't...One can improve on those inate skills via practice. One could easily make a long list of local stars that either Cal passed on or they passed on Cal. I'm talking about ones that became Div I starters...

    Cal has faded to the bottom third (4 teams) in the Pac 12 Conference. Utah owns Cal (four consecutive conference victories) and Colorado is rising team built around four sophomores. Arizona is the hopeless cellar dweller. The Bears need to perform better than 4-14 (2015-16) or 6-12 (2016-17) in conference or their program is a joke.

    The team has no identity as a rebounding juggernaut, a tough defensive team (like Cuonzo's mens team #1 in conference) or a offensive powerhouse. Nada. One double-digit scorer on the entire team. No structured offense to set screens to free up Asha Thomas for a three...This is Gottlieb's final season coming up and she had better have the Bears finish in the top half of the Pac 12 or bye bye.

    GO BEARS!
    I believe she got a 3 year extension before this current season started. She in under contract for 4 more seasons.
    Last edited by GATC; 03-21-2017 at 10:18 AM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by GATC View Post
    I believe she got a 3 year extension before this current season started. She in under contract for 4 more seasons.
    I think that's great. Coach G took a young team (top 8 are 1 SR, 2 JR, 2 SO, 3 FR) of her own recruits to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. We lost a few games we thought we should win but young teams do that. We lost to Baylor on their home court but most teams do that. We're not Baylor, we're not Connecticut, but we did win 4 games against NCAA Tournament teams. And with more promising recruits coming in I see a bright future. I'm happy to say I expect Coach G will be getting quite a few more contract extensions.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    I think that's great. Coach G took a young team (top 8 are 1 SR, 2 JR, 2 SO, 3 FR) of her own recruits to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. We lost a few games we thought we should win but young teams do that. We lost to Baylor on their home court but most teams do that. We're not Baylor, we're not Connecticut, but we did win 4 games against NCAA Tournament teams. And with more promising recruits coming in I see a bright future. I'm happy to say I expect Coach G will be getting quite a few more contract extensions.
    Thank you. My sentiments exactly.

  8. #8
    The issue isn't the win/loss number, nor making the NCAA, but whether the team plays well to its potential. My vote is that Coach G is failing by that measure consisteantly.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by bearchamp View Post
    The issue isn't the win/loss number, nor making the NCAA, but whether the team plays well to its potential. My vote is that Coach G is failing by that measure consisteantly.
    Weird. I was under the impression that the important metric was the number of wins relative to the number of losses. I guess I shouldn't be such a wise acre...

    But I'm with Stu and SFCALBear72. And I think there is a bright future ahead with more contract extensions for LG.

  10. #10
    Wins and losses and NCAA opportunities will take care of themselves it the talented players at Cal play to their potential. As a player, I was never happy when we won but played poorly; I was less happy if we loss and played poorly.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by bearchamp View Post
    Wins and losses and NCAA opportunities will take care of themselves it the talented players at Cal play to their potential. As a player, I was never happy when we won but played poorly; I was less happy if we loss and played poorly.
    You do realize that Baylor is a #1 seed and has dominated virtually everyone they've payed this season (32-3) with their experience, height, deep bench and athleticism. And that our "poor play" could have been a result of these factors. Give the opponent some credit for disrupting our play. And for a significant amount of minutes, we had three freshmen on the floor. See what you want and it seems to be despair. I see an optimistic future ahead for this team.

  12. #12
    My critique is for the season, not Baylor. Many here have commented on the lack of progress and lack of recognizable offensive strategy. Even the television commentators opined that the "offense" was just throw the ball up and hope Anigwe could get it even when double and triple teamed. As is commented above, many of the turnovers resulted from attempted passes to A when surrounded by defenders. The facts are beyond dispute that the offense is just slightly better than just rolling the ball out and hoping. Optimism is misplaced unless changes are made.

  13. #13
    Yes, she is very nice and certainly deserves her extensions.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by BSH View Post
    But I'm with Stu and SFCALBear72. And I think there is a bright future ahead with more contract extensions for LG.
    What do you consider a "bright future" to be in the very competitive conference? Top 3? 4-6?

  15. #15
    I agree with a little of what everyone had to say. The analyst once again said "Cal needs to play and stop relying on Anigwe".
    News flash: The gig is up, all the teams in the Pac 12 and outside of the Pac 12 have the scoutting report to shut down Anigwe. What needs to happen is our ladies need to be confident in their abilities, they are athletic too! There is no way under 6ft Davis (who's always played as if she's 6'2)should be looking back at our 6'2 players like "..your'e not in my league" BUT our players are on her level and we have All Americans on our team too, we just gotta play like it!
    Work on spreading the ball around to get the open shot instead of holding the ball (the ball sticks a lot). Try if Anigwe gets double teamed, have her quickly kick it back out move the ball, get open player a shot. Baylor had beautiful ball movement.

    The teams that just 2yrs ago were at bottom of the Pac 12 have all loaded up. Some of those teams beat us this year, and some of them are ahead of schedule-Oregon.
    If we don't get it going next year we will be looked at like U of A and they are in total rebuilding mode.

    We need a plan B and C the competition in the Pac 12 is no joke
    Last edited by 85 Fly; 03-23-2017 at 03:02 PM.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •