Thread: Three Point Shooting

Three Point Shooting

Lots of examples once more in the tournament of the importance of the three point shot in women's college basketball. Three of the four teams in the Final Four took 20 or more three pointers in their Elite Eight victories. If you cannot spread the floor and get some easy buckets from the outside, you are going to have to grind it out for every single basket at substantial odds.

Quote Originally Posted by annarborbear View Post
    Lots of examples once more in the tournament of the importance of the three point shot in women's college basketball. Three of the four teams in the Final Four took 20 or more three pointers in their Elite Eight victories. If you cannot spread the floor and get some easy buckets from the outside, you are going to have to grind it out for every single basket at substantial odds.
    So, is LG recruiting for that?

she recruits for those best qualified to pass to the post.

Quote Originally Posted by roqmoq View Post
    So, is LG recruiting for that?
    Thomas came in able to hit threes, and before this season Range (.322) and Cowling (.369) also did pretty well. I've heard that we recruited Plum, Canada, and Ionescu but they chose other schools. We also recruited Green (.268) who was not a reliable three-point shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    Thomas came in able to hit threes, and before this season Range (.322) and Cowling (.369) also did pretty well. I've heard that we recruited Plum, Canada, and Ionescu but they chose other schools. We also recruited Green (.268) who was not a reliable three-point shooter.
    I think there is a big difference between an offense that uses threes as an integral and intentional part of its system versus one that generally puts up threes in desperation as the shot clock is expiring. We seem to have some people who can make a fair percentage of those three point shots. We need to put more plays into the offense next year to get those players open and with a green light to take the shot as soon as available. Additionally, it doesn't help to have Davidson spending so much of her time outside at the top of the key without doing anything productive. Other teams simply drop down and triple team Anigwe.
    Last edited by annarborbear; 03-27-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Seemed to me Davidson could shoot outside when she first arrived.

This is taken from the BearInsider story about signing Kianna Smith from Troy HS in Orange County. She'll be playing in the McDonald's All-American game this Wednesday.

"The 1st Team All-State, All-CIF, All-Orange County and league MVP averaged 17 points, six assists and three steals per game on 46% shooting from the field and 40% from 3-point range on the season." Stats are for the 2015-16 season.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCALBear72 View Post
    This is taken from the BearInsider story about signing Kianna Smith from Troy HS in Orange County. She'll be playing in the McDonald's All-American game this Wednesday.

"The 1st Team All-State, All-CIF, All-Orange County and league MVP averaged 17 points, six assists and three steals per game on 46% shooting from the field and 40% from 3-point range on the season." Stats are for the 2015-16 season.
    Now we just have to put Smith into a system where those shots are screened for and encouraged, and not just tossed up at the end of the clock. Maybe she can play the Clarendon role, both playmaking and shooting.
    Last edited by annarborbear; 03-27-2017 at 12:32 PM.

I also think that Jaelyn Brown can be a prolific 3-point shooter if she works on it during the off-season ... and I think she definitely will.

You saw it first in the NBA - how three point shooting has dramatically changed the game of basketball. It's starting to propagate into women's as well. Remember Pinewood upset powerhouse St. Mary's? 3 pointers. Windward over Mater Dei. 3's.

1. Drive
    2. Collapse defense
    3. Kick out to perimeter (either side)
    4. Score

The old, feed into the (power) post - is not as effective as taking teams apart from the outside. Try to match 3's with 2's and you lose - by attrition.