Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Wj's roster shake-up plus or minus.

Quote Originally Posted by mikecohen View Post
    Can't you speak English?
    It's not clever

Can't you speak English? How is the first syllable of his last name pronounced? Answer: Y [which reminds me of the famous story about Einstein (who was an amateur violinist and used to play second violin in a string quartet of professional musician friends of his, but who apparently lacked a sense of rhythm to the point where the first violinist screamed out in frustration: "Albert: What's wrong with you? Can't you count? -- Which is an interesting comment on his mind-set, the revolutionary aspect of which was the reaching of advanced mathematical concepts NOT through numbers but through a kind of geometrical visualization of the meaning of (basically invisible) forces.
    What is wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by SFBearz View Post
    What is wrong with you?
    I keep thinking people are more capable of appreciating irony than they are

Real Bear
    Can't you speak English? How is the first syllable of his last name pronounced? Answer: Y [which reminds me of the famous story about Einstein (who was an amateur violinist and used to play second violin in a string quartet of professional musician friends of his, but who apparently lacked a sense of rhythm to the point where the first violinist screamed out in frustration: "Albert: What's wrong with you? Can't you count? -- Which is an interesting comment on his mind-set, the revolutionary aspect of which was the reaching of advanced mathematical concepts NOT through numbers but through a kind of geometrical visualization of the meaning of (basically invisible) forces.
    This is a thing of beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by parentswerebears View Post
    This is a thing of beauty.
    "Thank you, thank you. Applause to an artist is like food to a hungry man." Sonny Rollins

Loyal Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by caltagjohnson View Post
    Biggest plus: gaining Jones and losing Martin. Martin was the penultimate micro manager. Jones will let them play basketball. Martin tried to execute the floor game from the bench,.................
    +100.

If I remember right, there were a couple of games in the late season stretch run, where Martin called timeout during the first minute of play to make a substitution. Reminded me of Ben Braun near the end of his Cal career doing the same thing. With all the timeouts in today's game, players have little enough time to get warmed up or get into a playing rhythm, and constantly yanking players from the game to replace them only makes it harder for a team to perform its best. Martin always seemed so nervous, edgy, and worried about how his players were playing. If he wasn't making substitutions, he was constantly barking orders from the bench. He seemed to have very little faith in his players, and they surely sensed that. Not a good way to coach.

The best coach I ever saw at Cal, Pete Newell, had his players so well prepared, that if necessary they could play 40 minutes with no timeouts, and few or no substitutions. He seldom said anything to his players on the floor. Instead, he chewed on a towel. He was nervous and worried too, but he always had faith in his players, and let them play, for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCityBear View Post
    +100.

If I remember right, there were a couple of games in the late season stretch run, where Martin called timeout during the first minute of play to make a substitution. Reminded me of Ben Braun near the end of his Cal career doing the same thing. With all the timeouts in today's game, players have little enough time to get warmed up or get into a playing rhythm, and constantly yanking players from the game to replace them only makes it harder for a team to perform its best. Martin always seemed so nervous, edgy, and worried about how his players were playing. If he wasn't making substitutions, he was constantly barking orders from the bench. He seemed to have very little faith in his players, and they surely sensed that. Not a good way to coach.

The best coach I ever saw at Cal, Pete Newell, had his players so well prepared, that if necessary they could play 40 minutes with no timeouts, and few or no substitutions. He seldom said anything to his players on the floor. Instead, he chewed on a towel. He was nervous and worried too, but he always had faith in his players, and let them play, for the most part.
    If you didn't like Martin's frequent substitution patterns, you probably won't like Jones' either if he brings the Pitino style to Cal. Last year, only one Louisville player got more than 30 mins a game. 3 players were between 20 and 30 and 6 more got betweeen 10 and 20. It's a hallmark of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSouseFamily View Post
    If you didn't like Martin's frequent substitution patterns, you probably won't like Jones' either if he brings the Pitino style to Cal. Last year, only one Louisville player got more than 30 mins a game. 3 players were between 20 and 30 and 6 more got betweeen 10 and 20. It's a hallmark of the system.
    I'm OK with spreading the playing time around, in fact I think that's a plus. But they should play long enough stretches to get into the flow. I didn't like Martin yanking people after 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    I'm OK with spreading the playing time around, in fact I think that's a plus. But they should play long enough stretches to get into the flow. I didn't like Martin yanking people after 30 seconds.
    I generally agree with you. But it's also worth noting that quick substitutions can also reflect a coaches lack of confidence in the bench player. You can 'protect' the team by breaking the subs' time into small segments.

Quote Originally Posted by tequila4kapp View Post
    I generally agree with you. But it's also worth noting that quick substitutions can also reflect a coaches lack of confidence in the bench player. You can 'protect' the team by breaking the subs' time into small segments.
    I know what you're saying but that's not how someone like Pitino sees it. He substitutes a lot because he has a lot of confidence in his bench. And he swaps them in and out frequently so that they can all give max effort, esoecially defensively, for shorter bursts.

An alternative view is Petino's substitution patterns are meant to allocate PT to his roster full of four-and-five-star players so they don't leave Lexington. That plan gets increasingly difficult to execute as the coach seems to be continually recruiting over his latest recruit class, and available PT gets thinner. Marcus Lee (Cal) and Kyle Wilcher (Gonzaga) are two, who decided to leave UK.
    Last edited by puget sound cal fan; 05-23-2017 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCityBear View Post
    If I remember right, there were a couple of games in the late season stretch run, where Martin called timeout during the first minute of play to make a substitution. Reminded me of Ben Braun near the end of his Cal career doing the same thing.
    Nope, you're misremembering. Neither coach did that.

Quote Originally Posted by puget sound cal fan View Post
    An alternative view is Petino's substitution patterns are meant to allocate PT to his roster full of four-and-five-star players so they don't leave Lexington. That plan gets increasingly difficult to execute as the coach seems to be continually recruiting over his latest recruit class, and available PT gets thinner. Marcus Lee (Cal) and Kyle Wilcher (Gonzaga) are two, who decided to leave UK.
    Louisville....
    Last edited by bearmanpg; 05-23-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Fair point and that's essentially what Calipari tried with his now-discarded platoon system and why he did it. But I think Pitino just wants to win games and that's just his preferred style to do that. Contrast that with Coach K who always has a roster full of five stars and usually goes 7-8 deep leaving even some McD and 4/5 star guys riding the pine (Bolden, DeLaurier, Jeter, etc). And to your point, Duke has had a lot of guys who didn't make the trusted inner circle transfer out. Like Jeter.
    Last edited by TheSouseFamily; 05-23-2017 at 05:13 PM.

None of those guys played for Pitino, and Louisville doesn't recruit as well as you think.