Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wj's roster shake-up plus or minus.

Can't verify but it is rumored on Washington internet sites. At a minimum it is expressed in Seattle media. Not that that proves anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineyardview View Post
    Cal fans repetitive expressions of their rooting bias has set the tone for the expectation that J. Baker would have delivered an exceptional performance within the most competitive of the Powr 5 conference environment. This level of expectation for greatness will be very difficult for Baker to achieve wherever he ends up.

Jemarl Baker is an exceptional 3 point shooter, however that is the only facet of the game in which he is exceptional. On the defensive side of the ball he appears to be a liability. Rivals, Scout, ESPN and 247 all rate several shoot guards much higher than Baker.

For example, Daejon Davis and Jaylen Nowell the guys who just left Washington's commit list are consensus 4 star and rated the #'s 45 and #55 best recruits in 2017. Baker is rated consensus 3.7 and only recently entered the top 100 recruits of 2017.
    He IS an exceptional three point shooter. Something the team needed badly this past season, and with Bird and Mullins gone the team desperately needs now!

Can't verify but it is rumored on Washington internet sites. At a minimum it is expressed in Seattle media. Not that that proves anything.
    Nowell and Davis will likely be released from LOI. But either or both could decide to stick with the Huskies after getting re recruited by others. Wyking has to get involved with either or both. Longshot more than likely for either.

Players want to be on winning teams that do well in the post season. We may not be perceived as that kind of team due to the coaching change.

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    Baker was a five star masquerading as a four star. Big loss if he doesn't stick, and even bigger loss if he goes to Pac competition.
    Not so sure about that. 247 has him as the 119th best recruit for 2017. Others have him higher.

Maybe he will end up in Fresno. He might like it there

Quote Originally Posted by oskidunker View Post
    Players want to be on winning teams that do well in the post season. We may not be perceived as that kind of team due to the coaching change.
    Or due to the fact that we have note been a winning team in the post season since, oh, well, I can't count that high.

There isn't much we need worse, and you could have said the same about Alan Crabbe coming out of H.S. It's not so much about greatness as need in my book.

Cal fans repetitive expressions of their rooting bias has set the tone for the expectation that J. Baker would have delivered an exceptional performance within the most competitive of the Powr 5 conference environment. This level of expectation for greatness will be very difficult for Baker to achieve wherever he ends up.

Jemarl Baker is an exceptional 3 point shooter, however that is the only facet of the game in which he is exceptional. On the defensive side of the ball he appears to be a liability. Rivals, Scout, ESPN and 247 all rate several shoot guards much higher than Baker.

For example, Daejon Davis and Jaylen Nowell the guys who just left Washington's commit list are consensus 4 star and rated the #'s 45 and #55 best recruits in 2017. Baker is rated consensus 3.7 and only recently entered the top 100 recruits of 2017.

reality. we need a replacement for baker. basketball gods attention. find a shooter/scorer asap.

Losses and Gains

Quote Originally Posted by calgo430 View Post
    reality. we need a replacement for baker. basketball gods attention. find a shooter/scorer asap.
    Baker is a big loss, as we really need outside shooting to fill the hole left by Bird and Mullins. But Moore would have been a bigger loss, because I really don't think Chauca is strong enough physically to play substantial minutes as the starting point and be effective against Power 5 defenders. Retaining Kam is also a plus, although I'm thinking if Kingsley develops a hook-shot or some other back-to-the-basket offensive move this off-season, he's likely to get the bulk of the minutes as a more athletic player, particularly if we're really going to press more under Cuonzo. I hope he can find a transfer or some other solution to replace Baker. If we can't do that, I'd rather save the scholarship for 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    Baker is a big loss, as we really need outside shooting to fill the hole left by Bird and Mullins. But Moore would have been a bigger loss, because I really don't think Chauca is strong enough physically to play substantial minutes as the starting point and be effective against Power 5 defenders. Retaining Kam is also a plus, although I'm thinking if Kingsley develops a hook-shot or some other back-to-the-basket offensive move this off-season, he's likely to get the bulk of the minutes as a more athletic player, particularly if we're really going to press more under Cuonzo. I hope he can find a transfer or some other solution to replace Baker. If we can't do that, I'd rather save the scholarship for 2018.
    Agree with waiting for 2018 if you cannot find a legit player. Grad transfer is ideal. I think the Bears are recruiting Chase Jeter from Duke. He may not be that legit 5 star guy many thought when he went to Duke, but could be a valuable player on an emerging team. Big guys with some skills are hard to find. Doubt he is dominant, but solid is very likely. If not dominant at Duke they just recruit over you. Cal needs a shooter for next season, but will be very hard to find IMO. 2018 class will be big for Jones. Everybody wants Jordan Brown, but Cal has a shot.

This is a long shot, but on another site I read:
    Archbishop Mitty defensive end Nick Alftin committed to Cal! At 6-5, 240 pounds with an astonishing 36 vertical leap ...

Remember Tony Gonzalez?

Quote Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
    I think the Bears are recruiting Chase Jeter from Duke. He may not be that legit 5 star guy many thought when he went to Duke, but could be a valuable player on an emerging team. Big guys with some skills are hard to find. Doubt he is dominant, but solid is very likely. If not dominant at Duke they just recruit over you.
    You could be describing our last transfer from Duke, Jamal Boykin. That worked out pretty darn good for Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkCityBear View Post
    You could be describing our last transfer from Duke, Jamal Boykin. That worked out pretty darn good for Cal.
    Yep. Boykin was heavily recruited out of Fairfax High in Hollywood, as I recall.

Are plodding, reasonably unathletic 7 footers really that important given we're changing our style of play to be more pressing and transition?