Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compare Cal vs Stanford

Compare Cal vs Stanford

How does everyone compare our current women's basketball team to Stanford's team ? As the Cardinals are once again going to the Final Four- and in the past Coach Gottlieb has said a goal was for our Bears to be an elite team. How would you compare our team -top to bottom and coaches/coaching etc to Stanford's? We do have Anigwe and some other good players. Will the additional new people coming in next year be enough?

Difficult to analyze the comparison of players because the coaching at Stanford in so superior. I imagine that we wouldn't recognize our team if it were coached by TV. Currently, Cal talent is not developed and wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by bearchamp View Post
    Difficult to analyze the comparison of players because the coaching at Stanford in so superior. I imagine that we wouldn't recognize our team if it were coached by TV. Currently, Cal talent is not developed and wasted.
    Don't agree re: Lindsay Gottlieb. Cal lacks catch and shoot players; we have for years. Part of the problem is we have been epically poor at recruiting girls from the suburbs. Sabrina Ionescu wanted to go to Cal and loved Lindsay Gottlieb, but she had little in common with current players on current roster. The few suburban girls we have successfully recruited, have transferred. If this impediment is remedied, Cal can challenge for national title.

Quote Originally Posted by barabbas View Post
    The few suburban girls we have successfully recruited, have transferred.
    I would characterize Benicia (Mikayla) and San Ramon (KC) as suburbs, possibly Manteca (Courtney) and Murrieta (Jaelyn) as well. And our incoming players are from Folsom (McKenzie), Moreno Valley (Kianna) and San Marcos (Alaysia). But I'll admit catch-and-shoot is not a required subject in every suburban school.
    Last edited by stu; 03-30-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Cats4CAL View Post
    How does everyone compare our current women's basketball team to Stanford's team ? As the Cardinals are once again going to the Final Four- and in the past Coach Gottlieb has said a goal was for our Bears to be an elite team. How would you compare our team -top to bottom and coaches/coaching etc to Stanford's? We do have Anigwe and some other good players. Will the additional new people coming in next year be enough?
    I found this on another message board:

"per Hoopgurlz, out of those [last] 4 years Stanford had the 6th, 10th and 9th best ranked classes in 2013, 14 and 16 (unranked in '15) and Cal had the 18th, 14th and 8th best in 2013, 14 and 15 (unranked in '16). If this 'clearly' favors either, it's obviously Stanford.

Maybe more tellingly, included in these 4 classes was 8 5-star recruits for Stanford and only 4 for Cal.... As you noted, both schools have had some misses/transfers -- but the impact of losing 1 5-star player (Green) is much greater for Cal, having only 3 remaining (especially when 1 of those, Chen, is a long-term project, whose international evaluation doesn't exactly pass the eye test) that in is for Stanford (Rooks), with 7 5-stars left in its talent pool.

Again, if anybody is clearly favored here, it would seem to be Stanford."

This doesn't address next year's recruits - but I believe Stanford is said to have the advantage there as well.

My daughter, white, blond, San Francisco private schools, played AAU and Pro Am usually with "urban" girls. She got along fine and really enjoyed some of them, like any team. If one girl from the East Bay can't relate that is one girl. My girl's experience was that some of the suburban girls who anted to be "urban" were more problematic. Clearly some of the Cal women come from diverse backgrounds (geographic, economic and cultural) but that is one of the benefits of going to Cal. A real problem is a recruit who can't see beyond the team.

Don't agree re: Lindsay Gottlieb. Cal lacks catch and shoot players; we have for years. Part of the problem is we have been epically poor at recruiting girls from the suburbs. Sabrina Ionescu wanted to go to Cal and loved Lindsay Gottlieb, but she had little in common with current players on current roster. The few suburban girls we have successfully recruited, have transferred. If this impediment is remedied, Cal can challenge for national title.
    Do you know Sabrina? If not, your comments are pure speculation and hearsay. Your words "little in common with current players" insinuate something a bit more troubling.

Tara coaches kids from different backgrounds, including different sexual orientations, if that is what is being hinted at. Demographic arguments really don't explain this (for example, Cal has had several recent players from old money Malborough in LA (a Furd feeder school for non-athletes). You recruit players for a system or adapt a system around your players' skills. Thinking you recruit white vs. non-white, urban vs. suburban, gay vs. straight assumes these distinctions make one a better player. 1,000 plus victories later, can we just give Tara some credit that she knows what she is doing and recruits well, and that is why she has more success.

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    1,000 plus victories later, can we just give Tara some credit that she knows what she is doing and recruits well, and that is why she has more success.
    +1

IMHO evaluating talent is as important in recruiting as getting players to sign.

There is such a thing as a team culture, and I think it is fair to say that the Cal team culture has not been as welcoming to a diverse group as some other team cultures. Hopefully that is changing ...
    Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā

From Clay: "There is such a thing as a team culture, and I think it is fair to say that the Cal team culture has not been as welcoming to a diverse group as some other team cultures. Hopefully that is changing ..."

Is this all code for "white people not welcome?" Because there is certainly other forms of diversity on the team ... If that is the case, I could care less if we land "suburban" players.

I've heard from many sources that Sabrina was uncomfortable with the culture of Berkeley and Cal in general--and that she wanted a less ... "urban" team. Good for her for picking Oregon, one of the whitest teams in NCAA basketball. I don't care how good she is: if she didn't feel comfortable, then I don't want her, and she has a right to make her choices based on whatever metric she chooses. She didn't want to be challenged culturally, that's her loss. NOT OURS. A team and program simply cannot cater to everyone's tastes or expectations or comfortability, and shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BleacherBear View Post
    From Clay: "There is such a thing as a team culture, and I think it is fair to say that the Cal team culture has not been as welcoming to a diverse group as some other team cultures. Hopefully that is changing ..."

Is this all code for "white people not welcome?" Because there is certainly other forms of diversity on the team ... If that is the case, I could care less if we land "suburban" players.

I've heard from many sources that Sabrina was uncomfortable with the culture of Berkeley and Cal in general--and that she wanted a less ... "urban" team. Good for her for picking Oregon, one of the whitest teams in NCAA basketball. I don't care how good she is: if she didn't feel comfortable, then I don't want her, and she has a right to make her choices based on whatever metric she chooses. She didn't want to be challenged culturally, that's her loss. NOT OURS. A team and program simply cannot cater to everyone's tastes or expectations or comfortability, and shouldn't.
    +1

Then you have a young woman from the suburb of Palo Alto (Gunn High), Archer Olson, who is excited to attend Cal as a recruited walk-on next season. She says she fell in love with the coaching staff and the players, especially. Yes, she's white.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
    There is such a thing as a team culture, and I think it is fair to say that the Cal team culture has not been as welcoming to a diverse group as some other team cultures. Hopefully that is changing ...
    Fair enough Clay.

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    Fair enough Clay.
    Fair in the sense that Cal's culture has not seemed as welcoming to certain groups of recruits because of Cal's lack of diversity (of one kind or another), or are you saying that Cal's culture was somehow actively unwelcoming?...

I can't speak for Sabrina because I don't know her that well, but considering who she's played with every summer, I don't think "playing with white girls" is an issue.

And of course the recruiting process is artificial in the sense that it's different being in a program than visiting a few times, so the reality of the team culture is harder to pin down -- but it certainly looks like some recruits have not related as well to the culture as it appeared to them during recruiting as they might have, and thus they wound up somewhere else.

Again, there are signs that's changing, but I'm not inside the program, so I can't say for sure what the culture was like in the past or is now. The issue, though, is that recruits aren't inside the program either and so they have to rely on appearances.
    Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā