Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Greatwood

Steve Greatwood

Had the opportunity to sit down with veteran OL coach Steve Greatwood to get his take on the program, the mix of new staff, what Cal has to sell and lots more.

Here's the Front Page story: http://bearinsider.com/news/story.php?article=2392

Impressive interview with a very realistic assessment of our current talent. Sounds like we have the foundation to build a real program!

True Blue Golden Bear going4roses's Avatar
    sounds like we have some good early coaching cohesion .

Excellent article. Just reinforces my feelings that JW made some very astute hires.

Cal is very short on numbers on the OL. Twelve total, with three - maybe more - coming in for fall camp. Mekari, Ooms and Wallace comprise our experienced members who have contributed meaningful playing time. The other nine are either young or have yet to show they have what it takes to compete at this level.

Big job ahead for the next two or three years for our new coach.

True Blue Golden Bear going4roses's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dinan3 View Post
    Cal is very short on numbers on the OL. Twelve total, with three - maybe more - coming in for fall camp. Mekari, Ooms and Wallace comprise our experienced members who have contributed meaningful playing time. The other nine are either young or have yet to show they have what it takes to compete at this level.

yep

True Blue Golden Bear
    Nice article. Thanks MB

Quote Originally Posted by dinan3 View Post

Generally agree, but Uluava and Bennett have both seen game action- Uluave a fair amount of series, and I thought he looked pretty good on many of them.

Good article MB.

I am cautiously optimistic about Team Wilcox. I definitely have a warm fuzzy excited feeling for the first time in a few years with this new group.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Having two great assistants in Greatwood and Azz on both sides of the most fundamental part of football -- the lines -- bodes well for us.

I just read on another site that Greatwood is slated to make $250K this year at Cal, and he made over $400K last year at Oregon. I'm impressed that Wilcox was able to land him at Cal, especially considering the difference in cost of living between the Bay Area and Eugene.

Quote Originally Posted by 85Bear View Post
    I just read on another site that Greatwood is slated to make $250K this year at Cal, and he made over $400K last year at Oregon. I'm impressed that Wilcox was able to land him at Cal, especially considering the difference in cost of living between the Bay Area and Eugene.
    Maybe he has made enough that the opportunity to coach after being unfairly separated from Oregon (unfair only because of all that he has done for Oregon - he and Gould should have been treated better) was good enough. Having said that, if he succeeds here, I hope we fairly compensate him.

I am really looking forward to seeing the Bears' o-line move some people off the line. Being able to run the ball is critical to winning football games.

Is he generally regarded on par or better than Michalczyk(who I thought was pretty damned good despite the perpetual grumblings from fans).

Quote Originally Posted by burritos View Post
    Is he generally regarded on par or better than Michalczyk(who I thought was pretty damned good despite the perpetual grumblings from fans).
    I think the main complaint against Coach M was that he didn't like to recruit.