Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Greatwood

"I think we have good team cohesion here. I don't see the cliques -I'll be honest with you here- we had some issues with that at the last place I was at. I see this team being very well-rounded and that crosses over positionally, it crosses over racially, it crosses over class rank -in every way. This is a really cohesive group of guys.

The young men on this team are really goddamn impressive, credit to them and their families, along with the previous staff for bringing them in.

We always talk about good "fits" within the players. What has impressed me so far has been that Coach Wilcox seems to be able to find and attract good "fits" for the coaching staff as well. The word cohesion feels right, and bodes well for overall "team".

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    Had the opportunity to sit down with veteran OL coach Steve Greatwood to get his take on the program, the mix of new staff, what Cal has to sell and lots more.

Here's the Front Page story: http://bearinsider.com/news/story.php?article=2392
    Once again, Wilcox has selected as coach a person with years and years of experience (similar to the OC and DC).
    IMO that shows a level of confidence that is truly amazing. Most HC's JW's age would not have the guts to do that.
    He knows he is in charge and yet he is willing to learn from their vast experience.

Many leaders have too much ego to bring in someone with more experience.
    They lack confidence in their own skills and do not want to be eclipsed by people with greater experience (I will refrain from making an allusion to certain politician(s) who will not be named).
    But if you are confident in your own skills and abilities and ability to make decisions, someone with great experience can be of great use.
    I am feeling better and better with the choice of Wilcox as HC.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAST2324MODE View Post
    "I think we have good team cohesion here. I don't see the cliques -I'll be honest with you here- we had some issues with that at the last place I was at. I see this team being very well-rounded and that crosses over positionally, it crosses over racially, it crosses over class rank -in every way. This is a really cohesive group of guys.

The young men on this team are really goddamn impressive, credit to them and their families, along with the previous staff for bringing them in.
    Amen, Sonny had many deficiencies as HC but he left a solid core of competent "team" players whose grades would not embarrass UC or jeopardize their ability to stay in school.

Greatwood was one of the hires I was and am most happy about.

One think that seems unusual in his background is that he has long been a position coach, and one that has seen much success and has a great reputation, but has never moved up the ladder to coordinator or head coach. Is he just a guy who loves coaching line and really doesn't want to coach an entire unit? Anybody know any history on that? Or maybe is it not as unusual as I'm making it out to be?

Quote Originally Posted by burritos View Post
    Is he generally regarded on par or better than Michalczyk(who I thought was pretty damned good despite the perpetual grumblings from fans).
    Greatwood had the #1 rushing attack in the Pac-12 10 straight years. I'm not sure if Michalczyk even coached one #1 rushing offense. And Greatwood recruits a lot more than he did, too.

Was he fired by Oregon?

None of their old staff was retained by Taggert when he came in this offseason.

He brought in Alabama's OL coach as OL coach/co-OC.
    Last edited by MoragaBear; 04-17-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Greatwood had the #1 rushing attack in the Pac-12 10 straight years. I'm not sure if Michalczyk even coached one #1 rushing offense. And Greatwood recruits a lot more than he did, too.
    True, but they coached at different schools.

This and the comments about the players being cohesive and having the "want to" are what get me fired up about Cal football 2017 and beyond:

"I think this staff is awesome. To me, taking this job was all about the people I was going to work with. It wasn't about the place, though it turns out the place is awesome, too.

"Coming to work every day with these guys -I see quality guys, low ego guys that just want to roll up their sleeves and get to work. That makes it for me. And Coach Wilcox sets the tone. He's not into promoting himself. It's all about the program and the people in the program. He puts that first over himself.

"I think everyone he's brought in there is that same type of person."

Michalczik was Cal's OL coach in 2004. Cal practically lapped the field in the Pac-10 in rushing stats that year with Arrington and Lynch.

Cal FB 2004 Rushing:
    Total: 509-3081 (6.1 ypc)
    Arrington: 289-2018 (7.0 ypc)
    Lynch: 71-628 (8.8 ypc)

USC: 493-2306 (4.7 ypc)
    (Lendale White and Reggie Bush)

UCLA: 466-2219 (4.8 ypc)
    (Maurice Jones-Drew)

Oregon: 429-1746 (4.1 ypc)

Arizona State: 435-1417 (3.3 ypc)

Washington State: 410-1408 (3.4 ypc)

Washington: 414-1322 (3.2 ypc)

Arizona: 386-1302 (3.4 ypc)

Stanford: 353-893 (2.5 ypc)

Oregon State: 378-848 (2.2 ypc)

Edited to add:
    71Bear points out below that Cal also led the Pac-10 in 2003 with Echemandu and Arrington which I did not know (and have not checked as I used ESPN as my source and they only go back to 2004). In 2005, Cal was the 2nd best rushing team in the Pac-10 behind USC with Washington State a distant 3rd.

All of this was mostly with a I-formation pro-style power rushing attack. Many of Greatwood's offenses used the inside and outside zone read to turn the QB into an extra blocker (leaving a defender such as the back-side DE unblocked and having the QB keep the ball and run if that defender drove towards the RB). Not that this discounts Greatwood's accomplishments - just somewhat different.

I want to be clear here and say I am excited that Steve Greatwood is our OL coach! Just pointing out that Michalczyk was a fantastic OL coach as well, though not so good at OC. Perhaps the Peter Principle at work there.

Go Bears!
    Last edited by OneKeg; 04-17-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Cal also led the league in rushing in 2003. Michalczik was a terrific OL coach. He was particularly effective taking walk-ons and turning them into solid OLers. If Greatwood matches Jim M.'s results at Cal, I'll be impressed

That 2004 team really was visibly better than most of the competition. I recall sitting in Husky stadium and having a UW fan turn to me and say "that's a really good team". Not to start the "what if ?" discussion, but too bad the USC game turned out like it did. Also, even though it was Aaron Rodgers I seem to recall times when I wondered why they elected to pass when the run wasn't being stopped.

In Michalczik's two stints at Cal, his rushing offenses finished 4th (2012), 6th (2011), 4th (2008), 5th (2007), 3rd (2006), 2nd (2005), 1st (2004), 1st (2003) and 7th (2002). His 3 seasons at Arizona, they've finished 5th (2016), 3rd (2015), 4th (2014) and 2nd (2013).

Oregon was 1st in those last 6 seasons Michalczik coached at Cal and 6th in 2005, 4th in 2004, 3rd in 2003 and 2nd in 2002 under Greatwood and 1st in 10 of his last 11 seasons at Oregon.

Michalczik had a few really good years and was solid in some others but hard to match Greatwood's record, which was the question I was responding to.

200k + 125k talent fee + 25k signing bonus + potential for more depending on the season.