Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Data on football renewals and donations

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    I'm not sure it is that simple. Various sports are going through major reductions in participation and fan base: golf, skiing, tennis, etc. and a lot of that involves time commitments and pricing. Americans are winning at these sports. I'm closer to the elements around the decline in golf, but it is not simply winning. Football attendance is down, and if you take out the SEC, it is very down.
    Reduce cost, improve scheduling so that people know what time games are more than a week in advance, and then win. TV is the prime driver so I don't know how things will change when it's far easier and cheaper to just watch from home. It's cheap, convenient and requires little financial and time commitment.

Die Hard-Fans

I guess I am one of them. Every year you have to bite on the bullet hoping for a magic elixir. Yes or no, will next year be the start of something BIG- BEARS? Remember, will it be the start?

Wife I drove by your neck in the woods this morning after I dropped my kid off at the airport to go back up to Cal. It's nice driving down PCH on a sunny day!

In terms of involvement for younger alumni I think one should try and connect them earlier with sports teams. Throw a rager on behalf of the football team at the Greek the day before every home game. Free pot... that should do it

True Blue Golden Bear going4roses's Avatar
    lol

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goobear View Post
    Wife I drove by your neck in the woods this morning after I dropped my kid off at the airport to go back up to Cal. It's nice driving down PCH on a sunny day!

In terms of involvement for younger alumni I think one should try and connect them earlier with sports teams. Throw a rager on behalf of the football team at the Greek the day before every home game. Free pot... that should do it
    Dutch dudes always trying to pass out weed.

Which brings out the next question (without trying to hijack the thread): what to do to draw younger fans?
    Be better?

Younger fan here, and I can assure you, traffic is not a concern of mine. General suckage is. The only thing game times affect are how/where we drink. Not whether we buy season tickets. Whatever good will we'd built up with students during JT's years was probably mostly wasted during Sonny's run.

Beeasyed and I hosted some pretty large tailgates last year, and about half of our guests came into Berkeley from the city or the peninsula just to drink. Former season ticket holders that didn't even bother going into the games. Much less buy a ticket.

So yes, I understand there are several factors, but like you say, they would all matter less if we won more.
    Last edited by socaliganbear; 04-02-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    Dutch dudes always trying to pass out weed.
    You know it...lekker toch!

Quote Originally Posted by oskidunker View Post
    May have alteady been posted. But these are final numbers. They did not appear to change when Wilcox wsd hiref. Reported by a site which will not be named.

Cal football season ticket renewals dropped 33.2%, donations 23.7% in 2016-17
    I can understand the drop in enthusiasm re Dykes, but the lack of any bounce from Wilcox hiring is alarming and suggests there are factors other than fan expectations of team performance at play. The drop in donations may say more about the attitude of moneyed alumni toward the university than football in general. Alumni relations with the university are not good and this may be affecting ticket sales more than the team performance.

Outside of the coaching world and hardcore fans, Wilcox is an unknown. He's not a high profile, known commodity to casual fans, so there's no real reason to expect him to cause a spike in sales.

Not to mention the period in question here ended just days after Wilcox was hired, and well before his staff was announced.
    Last edited by socaliganbear; 04-02-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Do folks know that the school does not have control of the game times?

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/2016...all-game-times

It doesnt matter. Old people and families with young kids wont go to night games. Result:33% non renewals. Not sure how this is affecting other pac 12 schools.

Fans are not trying to punish Cal because they think Cal controls game times. They are deciding that since most of the games are at night it isnt worth donating for seats they cant use.
    Last edited by oskidunker; 04-02-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Winning, game-day experience, start times so many things to complain about. I'll always donate and buy season tickets but it will be nice to be relevant some point.

SoCal, it is a combo of things, including: team performance, hassle issues (when will Cal ever understand traffic and parking control matters, especially for your large donors?), night games, relatively high prices relative to team performance, game day (night) experience, limited places to tailgate, etc. I will say that the U-club, and other clubs to a lesser degree, have upped their game.

Having been to every other Pac venue other than Oregon and Oregon State, I can say that Cal has the worst traffic control and parking by far, and people don't want to shell out big bucks for inconvenience and wasted time to see a team that doesn't go to post-season bowls. Also, tailgating has become part of the game experience and alum bonding and Cal is worse in that as well. I didn't matter that much when the team was competing for Rose Bowls in the JT era, but it matters now.

Edit: from a timing standpoint, I think the fan base was hoping Sonny and his staff might be the guys to make Cal compete for Rose Bowls and was willing to put up with the other factors (other than maybe night games which were not well attended), and when it was clear there would never be a competitive defense, they gave-up, given the other factors
    If we are thinking of factors that contributed to the lower renewal rate, then I would add an increase in ticket prices. My tickets in Section T went up in price. I renewed, but I could see how someone could view a increase in ticket prices after a 5-7 season as being ridiculous.

The issue with donating to Cal athletics is you might as well just flush your money down the toilet. At least then you'd have some general idea where your dollars are going and you'd get the same result.

I'm not sure it is that simple. Various sports are going through major reductions in participation and fan base: golf, skiing, tennis, etc. and a lot of that involves time commitments and pricing. Americans are winning at these sports. I'm closer to the elements around the decline in golf, but it is not simply winning. Football attendance is down, and if you take out the SEC, it is very down.
    Your comment about being able to gather locally and watch on TV is significant. After about the third home game I'm kind of over spending all Saturday for the game day experience. With TV I can still meet up with friends and only need to commit a few hours to the experience, leaving most of my Saturday for other activities. Add in the uncertain game times it's easy to take the perspective of 'I'm going to make plans and if a week out I find out the game time works with my schedule I'll hit up stubhub."