Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Data on football renewals and donations

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    I'm not sure it is that simple. Football attendance is down, and if you take out the SEC, it is very down.
    I wouldn't overlook the playoff/TV factor.
    Since conference championships and bragging rights for rivalry games no longer mean squat, why go to games once your team has lost two games?

Plus, no locals (bay area) are going to become fans when they can watch the contenders on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Uthaithani View Post
    I can understand the drop in enthusiasm re Dykes, but the lack of any bounce from Wilcox hiring is alarming and suggests there are factors other than fan expectations of team performance at play. The drop in donations may say more about the attitude of moneyed alumni toward the university than football in general. Alumni relations with the university are not good and this may be affecting ticket sales more than the team performance.
    The athletic director is proving to be incompetent and/or Cal is signaling that it is not able or willing to compette with the top 4 or 5 programs in the conference. Donors are sensing this.

Another bone of contention is the anual survey Unlike Usc who lets fans know what the results are and what they intend to do to address the issues,Cal never shares the results with season ticket holders. And there is little perceived change. I dont do them anymore. Waste if time. They want you to think they care but they dont.

Quote Originally Posted by oskidunker View Post
    May have alteady been posted. But these are final numbers. They did not appear to change when Wilcox wsd hiref. Reported by a site which will not be named.

Cal football season ticket renewals dropped 33.2%, donations 23.7% in 2016-17
    So I gotta bust your chops a little on this because I feel like cal alumni should be able to do simple reasoning in regard to how to interpret numbers and statistics.

The first question one should logically ask is what time periods are being compared, because, yes, it's ambiguous.

And the answer clearly stated is Jan 7th, 2017 was the cutoff for renewal data for 2016-2017. Before Wilcox was hired.

So there is no way to make any conclusions on he Wilcox hire and because it happened outside of the time period stated in the article.

True but people knew Sonny would not be back.some may changed their minds upon theWilcox hire but i doubt many did. Game times was probably the buggest factir. If I had not renewed,it would not have been because I did not like Sonny.
    Last edited by oskidunker; 04-02-2017 at 03:10 PM.

True but people knew Sonny would not be back.some nay changed their minds upon theWilcox hire but i doubt many did. Game times was probably the buggest factir. If I had not renewed,it would not have been because I did not like Sonny.
    Dykes wasn't fired til the 8th. Almost no one knew it was coming.

And yes game times were a big factor.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    Win
    Better music? Get a DJ, pipe it in, and turn it up!

:ducks

Our insiders were still on here speculating on what DC he was bringing in. No one knew.
    Last edited by socaliganbear; 04-02-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoBear1 View Post
    Better music? Get a DJ, pipe it in, and turn it up!

:ducks
    Not sure if you are serious or not, but this is part of attracting students. You need to make it a fun and energetic environment. Just look at the frats on game days. Most don't leave the party to walk up to Memorial. If you could replicate some of that experience you will get a younger crowd.

A DJ, pyrotechnics, laser shows, etc will amp up the crowd. I know this won't be popular with the old blues, but it is reality.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoBear1 View Post
    And the answer clearly stated is Jan 7th, 2017 was the cutoff for renewal data for 2016-2017.
    And the actual renewal deadline was not until mid-February, correct? Only Cal athletics would do something so asinine. Unless they're intentionally trying to make the numbers seem worse than they really are? Who fuckin knows with these clowns. I know we renewed after NSD and had every intention of doing so regardless of the coach but had no reason to do it before February.

let us not to there

Another bone of contention is the anual survey Unlike Usc who lets fans know what the results are and what they intend to do to address the issues,Cal never shares the results with season ticket holders. And there is little perceived change. I dont do them anymore. Waste if time. They want you to think they care but they dont.
    SC football fans can get coaches fired, LAPD rules changed, a college President fired if he is not careful, etc. You can be an all time great QB or the son of football legend and still take complete and utter crap from SC rooters if they are unhappy. It is such a different level than at Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    Our insiders were still on here speculating on what D.C. He was bringing in. No one knew.
    Still down.

I know there was some excitement in hiring Wilcox. I still think lame and lazy hire (hope to be wrong). I renewed. Because I feel bad for Cal Athletics, mostly. I am an early bird, I hate night games, I have a young family: so find that I am missing most of the games now.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCalFan View Post
    I know there was some excitement in hiring Wilcox. I still think lame and lazy hire (hope to be wrong). I renewed. Because I feel bad for Cal Athletics, mostly. I am an early bird, I hate night games, I have a young family: so find that I am missing most of the games now.
    Holy crap, that's actually how I feel and I didn't even realize it.

Winning helps. Basically needing to prove the investment in the stadium was worth it. I'm closer in age to the students than most on this board probably and I can tell you there's a lot of resentment among more recent students given they know there's a large stadium debt and they also know their tuition is rising nebulously.