Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 165

Thread: Data on football renewals and donations

  1. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by packawana View Post
    Winning helps. Basically needing to prove the investment in the stadium was worth it. I'm closer in age to the students than most on this board probably and I can tell you there's a lot of resentment among more recent students given they know there's a large stadium debt and they also know their tuition is rising nebulously.
    I call bullshit on this. I was actually a student when it was getting built and tuition was actually rising simultaneously. I bet most students don't DGAF. In fact, I bet most students don't even know what the deal is with stadium debt or how much it is, or how it's being paid etc etc.

    What are student worried about? Summer internships, interviews, grad school, rent. They're prob more resentful that they prob wont afford to live here in a couple years.
    Last edited by socaliganbear; 04-02-2017 at 06:14 PM.

  2. #47
    Loyal Bear Bobodeluxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SURRENDER MONKEY
    Posts
    4,451
    ALL of my neighbor's kids who are, or recently were, at Cal are VERY resentful of any money spent on any of the sports. The parents often do not share the same opinion. Times have changed.

  3. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    I call bullshit on this. I was actually a student when it was getting built and tuition was actually rising simultaneously. I bet most students don't DGAF. In fact, I bet most students don't even know what the deal is with stadium debt or how much it is, or how it's being paid etc etc.

    What are student worried about? Summer internships, interviews, grad school rent. They're prob more resentful that they prob wont afford to live here in a couple years.
    I graduated in the last three years and I can tell you that at least anecdotally I've seen people complain about tuition rising than not. It's not that they actually know that the stadium debt has nothing to do with tuition (which it doesn't), it's just that they see costs rising and there's little extra return.

    Plus its already near impossible to live here. A double room is coming out to be $800 a month on the Berkeley housing Facebook group most students use. That's just going to get worse.

  4. #49
    This happens any time there's some major university event, whether political or athletic or anything else. We conflate the headlines meant for public consumption with what kids on campus actually care about. Just like most kids don't care either way who the commencement speaker is, most students don't show up to protest, most don't have any clue what the athletic deficit is etc. It's like we forget that when we were students, the overwhelming majority didn't take up any of these issues.

    The real issue here seems to be that you're surrounded by students who think their up till now frozen tuition has been rising because of stadium costs.

    Funny thing is, when I was at Cal, the IA subsidy from campus was much larger than it was when I graduated. And If I had a penny for every time that ever came up in conversation while at school, I'd have exactly zero pennies.
    Last edited by socaliganbear; 04-02-2017 at 06:19 PM.

  5. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    This happens any time there's some major university event, whether political or athletic or anything else. We conflate the headlines meant for public consumption with what kids on campus actually care about. Just like most kids don't care either way who the commencement speaker is, most students don't show up to protest, most don't have any clue what the athletic deficit is etc. It's like we forget that when we were students, the overwhelming majority didn't take up any of these issues.

    The real issue here seems to be that you're surrounded by students who think their up till now frozen tuition has been rising because of stadium costs.
    Like I said, I don't think this would be a problem if we were winning. The issue is we aren't, so they're gonna go for the biggest target they can find. It's not like every news story that comes out about the stadium helps their perceptions either. It's all about image -- substance matters very little these days; no one has time for it.

    If Wilcox can get them to win consistently, then I'm sure I won't be finding students who complain about the university investing in football. It's very much cost-benefit.

    I actually think someone should design a study and and run it on campus to see what students do think about the stadium. Only definitive way we'll have an answer with confidence on this. But as of right now, attendance figures sure as hell aren't telling us much. (Well that, and studies are usually flawed because people pretend to know much more than they actually do).

  6. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by BearBackerinLA View Post
    Do folks know that the school does not have control of the game times?

    http://www.dailynews.com/sports/2016...all-game-times
    Williams needs to fight much much much much MUCH harder for decent start times. And address all the issues for our big donors. Excuses don't cut it. Wilcox for Dykes big 1st step in right direction. Not seeing any urgency in addressing other issues.

    If Cal was fighting for the Rose Bowl every year, and getting there once in a while, all the other stuff wouldn't matter as much. But it clearly does matter now.

  7. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobodeluxe View Post
    ALL of my neighbor's kids who are, or recently were, at Cal are VERY resentful of any money spent on any of the sports. The parents often do not share the same opinion. Times have changed.
    Both my children graduated within the past 3 years and neither them or any of their friends complained about spending on sports. They would like to see more winning ...

  8. #53
    It's too easy not to go. Save yourself four hours plus commute, money and the aggravation of watching a losing team. I gave mine up and can't imagine buying again when I can either watch every game on TV or go to any game I want. I suppose it'd be different if we were good but the administration doesn't care about that

  9. #54
    Gotta think positive. Fewer season tickets bought mean fewer tickets flooding the resale sites for all the late night/weekday/post 2nd conference game already eliminated from everything games. I don't want to see what happens if the downward spiral continues.

  10. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Goobear View Post
    You know it...lekker toch!
    Waar is de feestje?

  11. #56
    Real Bear
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bottom of a 10,000-foot ravine
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by GB54 View Post
    It's too easy not to go. Save yourself four hours plus commute, money and the aggravation of watching a losing team. I gave mine up and can't imagine buying again when I can either watch every game on TV or go to any game I want. I suppose it'd be different if we were good but the administration doesn't care about that
    It's remarkable how easy it is to find other things to do.

    Also, a vast majority of cal games have become unwatchable by the mid-second quarter lately. Turning the tv off is so easy then.

  12. #57
    True Blue Golden Bear heartofthebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ben Lomond, a small town outside of Santa Cruz in the mountains
    Posts
    8,721
    When Cal shows they've made a long term commitment to hiring and retaining quality assistant coaches I'll start paying attention. That means that they provide a budget that allows HCs to make the hires they want from one HC to the next.

    The fact that it seems better now is a typical ploy of the Cal administration to sell hope. I don't buy it...yet. Wilcox has no experience as an HC so I'll have to wait and see on that.

    The other problem is that the Cal culture is hostile to football and that bleeds into the culture, making it hard on the coaches and the team. Other comparable schools like furd and UCLA don't have these kinds of problems and they are more successful as a result.

    But I am really glad to drop out. It has allowed me to grow up and pursue other things. I've become much more productive as a result.
    Plus, even a Rose bowl team is likely to lack the characteristics that made me love Cal football.
    When I was younger, Cal football had a certain innocence and grace that represented the student athlete. But, the more I learn about the culture of football and the violence involved, I just can't go back to appreciating it the way I used to during the Roth/Muncie days.

    Finally, the deck is so stacked against Cal that it isn't really a level playing field. The fact that Cal players succeed in the NFL more than they did at Cal shows that the pac-12 environment really doesn't support the true student athlete at Cal. The pac-12 is really now about the school that spend elite money on sports like Oregon, USC and furd. College football as a whole has really mortgaged itself to making the rich get richer. Contrast with the NFL, which has very wisely put in measures to assure parity and competitiveness. This has resulted it thriving fan bases in almost all of the 32 cities of the NFL. But the NCAA prefers to collude with the 20 or so traditional powerhouses so that their TV ratings remain high. It is rather boring to me at this point to watch the same schools succeed over and over again while school like Cal get effectively shafted over and over again for doing the right thing.

    Add to that the fact that the officiating in the pac-12 is the joke of the NCAA, which in itself is a joke, and I am glad to be focusing on other things.

    Since not renewing, I have proceeded to refinance my home, and restore my physical health. And I will continue to focus on those things (financial and physical health) because they are leading to me to a better sense of well being than following sports has.

    Of course, if Cal competes for the Rose bowl, I will cheer for them and I will go to the occasional game, but the suspense of college football is no longer there for me. Honestly I think the Ohio States, USCs and Alabamas of the world have completely ruined it for me.

  13. #58
    I offered the ATO, what I considered, a great deal. I said I would renew my tickets if they sold them to me for half price. If the team won 6 games or more I would pay the other half. My logic. If they don't win 6 games, nobody's going to want the tics anyway. If they win 6 or more, I pay full freight. Of course they declined, but it seemed like a good deal to me.

  14. #59
    Not sure why people here disagree that winning solves pretty much everything. Of course, easier to say than to do

  15. #60
    Loyal Bear Bobodeluxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SURRENDER MONKEY
    Posts
    4,451
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvlfan2 View Post
    Both my children graduated within the past 3 years and neither them or any of their friends complained about spending on sports. They would like to see more winning ...
    Well,I live in the Berkeley hills, north of the campus, and that's what I hear. Maybe the Cal AD should move east of the hills.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •