Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neighbors is gone at Washington

I highly doubt Sopak will try for this job.. In fact, he's probably sighing in relief that he didnt go, he would have been leaving a lot behind (including selling his business) for one year in college. Doubt washington would hand the program to high school coach with 1 or 0 years of experience anyway

Washington's wing Corral and Oregon State's post Brown (6-4) were both red-shirt juniors. Did you hear that Corral is departing the Huskies? I heard that the former BOD player participated in OSU Senior Day ceremonies. If they both return for another season it would have a positive impact on their respective programs.

Well Brown has said she wants to check out her options. There are two bigs coming into OSU but I believe her position is safe if she wants it. Their highest recruit is 6'4" tall and they have a 6'8" transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander670 View Post
    FWIW, i think his exit is slightly less to do with losing the core of his success and more to do with returning to his alma mater. Don't get me wrong, if Kelsey and Osahor were juniors this year, I don't think he makes the jump, but the timing was just right.
    Certainly the main driver. The Seattle Times article provide by Stu is very informative. It said that he was a candidate 3 years ago when Dykes was hired. To be considered at that time after 1 year at Washington says something. The article also stated that he was given a 2 year extension last year after going to the final 4. That means that he still had 5 years on his contract then and was given another 2. What can a school do to tie up a coach? It also stated that his base salary was $290,004.

I wanted to get a perspective on how well he did at Washington. The 98-41 record (in the article) sounds impressive, but the 47-25 record in conference is probably more impressive. He finished 5th, 5th, 5th and 2nd (t) in the conference. Only OSU, Stanford and ASU did better in that 4 year period. I was looking forward to seeing how Neighbors does with the team next year.

plus they return 6-5 German post, Gulich! McWilliams is a 6-2 guard that will be a star. If Oregon State can continue to build their team around a stout defense starting with two tall post players, the Beavers still might be formidable. I know that they have "owned" Cal for the last three years at least...

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
    plus they return 6-5 German post, Gulich! McWilliams is a 6-2 guard that will be a star. If Oregon State can continue to build their team around a stout defense starting with two tall post players, the Beavers still might be formidable. I know that they have "owned" Cal for the last three years at least...
    They "owned" a lot of teams. They finished 2nd (tie), 1st, 1st (tie), and 1st in the conference the last 4 years. I'm pretty impressed how they did this year after losing some really good players to graduation. When you get more than 10 more rebounds per game and your FG% is 9% higher than your opponents, you are going to win a lot of games.

Rueck is a really good coach and has not only turned around that team but has kept them at the top. As long as he is there they will do fine. I do think he sort of blew it at the Regionals. His lack of second half adjustments on either offense or defense contributed to their loss to Florida State.

Quote Originally Posted by Strykur View Post
    When you have the 2 best teams in the country (plus Tennessee) in your league, time to start keeping up with the Joneses.
    I give him 2/3 seasons and the SEC women's b-ball will have the Razorbacks to deal with too...its already a competitive conference like ours. Tenn is Ranked #1 in recruiting class for 2018. Kentucky is always in the mix (even with Epps graduating they are rebuilding) same with Texas A&M (have a lot of players returning) and Mizz has couple special shooters with a supporting cast thats starting to click. South Carolina & MSU are gonna have their hands full next season.

Tenn has been ranked high in recruiting for years I think the group they had there this year had more talent than any other team in the country. The have under achieved for years. Some people lay it on the coaching and thats something you can not fix with good recruits.