Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 TV Schedule

I was surprised to read that times of certain games have already been fixed. The following two are scheduled for Sept. 16.
    Oregon at Wyoming, 7:00 pm
    CBSSN;
    Stanford at San Diego State, 10:30 pm
    CBSSN
    So CBS is already accounted for in the two evening time slots. That leaves Fox and ESPN to decide if they are broadcasting Cal/Ole Miss and at what time. Fox is committed to MLB and maybe to UFC Fight Night per Sarz. Cal brings the most entertaining Power 5 confrontation at 7:30 p.m., PT. The exception might be FSU v. Washington. Most night games are a pain for many fans, but this is mid-September and it's still summer. The weather ought to be good. I don't have a problem with this scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bear6 View Post
    I was surprised to read that times of certain games have already been fixed. The following two are scheduled for Sept. 16.
    Oregon at Wyoming, 7:00 pm
    CBSSN;
    Stanford at San Diego State, 10:30 pm
    CBSSN
    So CBS is already accounted for in the two evening time slots. That leaves Fox and ESPN to decide if they are broadcasting Cal/Ole Miss and at what time. Fox is committed to MLB and maybe to UFC Fight Night per Sarz. Cal brings the most entertaining Power 5 confrontation at 7:30 p.m., PT. The exception might be FSU v. Washington. Most night games are a pain for many fans, but this is mid-September and it's still summer. The weather ought to be good. I don't have a problem with this scheduling.
    CBSSN is a garbage cable station on a premium/ sports tier that pays almost nothing to the MWC to broadcast games. While those are P12 teams, the TV is determined by the MWC.

CBS has the contract with the SEC for one game, and I'd guess for that to be Tennessee @ Florida. It could either be at 1230pt or 5pt.

Fox shows UFC on FS1, which is great for the P12 fan because every time UFC shows late on a Saturday, that's one fewer game FS1 can stick a P12 game there.

I also wonder if there's a chance ESPN has the first pick and Texas @ USC gets put at 730pt on ESPN. If there's baseball on Fox, that's a very cramped day for them (they picked up the Big Ten this year, so I'd generally expect 2 CFB games on Fox broadcast if there's no MLB). Then ESPN could slot in Ole Miss @ Cal for afternoon or noon. If Fox has first pick, putting Texas @ USC as their national game seems like a no brainier - the big 12 and big ten games don't look very appealing at all.

ESPN holds the rights to:

Notre Dame @ Boston College
    Oklahoma State @ Pitt
    Miami @ Florida State
    Clemson @ Louisville
    Purdue @ Mizzou
    Wisconsin @ BYU
    LSU @ MSU

And splits rights with Fox to:
    Air Force @ Mich
    ASU @ T Tech

What do those all have in common? None are in the Pacific Tome zone. Other than ASU @ T Tech, I think they would all get better ratings than Old Miss @ Cal, as would Texas @ USC. Fresno @ UW would not get great national ratings.
    Last edited by ColoradoBear1; 04-10-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Don't you think Texas @ SC at 7:30 p.m., would be lost to the East Coast and be trouble even in Central time? Does that time maximize viewers?

revised Week 1 guesstimate now shows ...

California at North Carolina, 5:30pm Eastern/2:30pm Pacific on ESPN

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2...for-weeks.html

Quote Originally Posted by BearBackerinLA View Post
    Way too early guess for Week 1:

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2...weeks.html?m=1

12 noon Eastern (9 a.m. Pacific) start on ABC.
    Last edited by BearBackerinLA; 04-10-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Don't you think Texas @ SC at 7:30 p.m., would be lost to the East Coast and be trouble even in Central time? Does that time maximize viewers?
    Yes, but the question is what would it be up against on TV at 5pm vs 730pm. Would guess Louisville/Clamson and FSU/Miami would be higher ranked teams, but of course Texas and USC have a bigger following all things equal. ESPN/ABC has 4 national slots per day essentially. Could do Notre Dame/BC at 9am, Louisville/Miami at 1230p, FSU/Miami at 430pm and USC/Texas at 730pm. If they did Texas @ USC at 4/5p and Ole Miss at Cal @730p, they might have lower total daily viewership because two of those three ACC games would overlap. Just trying to keep hope alive for a non 730 kick, ya know?

Still think Fox taking USC v Texas at 430p makes so much sense (if Fox chooses first) because Fox doesn't have any other good games to show. It's also possible that espn would trade that weekend to Fox to get a better weekend later.

Last year the fall OOC schedules came out mid-may, so at least we won't have to check scenarios up to 6 days out.
    Last edited by ColoradoBear1; 04-10-2017 at 07:46 PM.

should hear something around June 1st on the early season schedules. Here are last year's links ...

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2...ons-notes.html

http://pac-12.com/article/2016/06/01...dule-announced

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoBear1 View Post
    Yes, but the question is what would it be up against on TV at 5pm vs 730pm. Would guess Louisville/Clamson and FSU/Miami would be higher ranked teams, but of course Texas and USC have a bigger following all things equal. ESPN/ABC has 4 national slots per day essentially. Could do Notre Dame/BC at 9am, Louisville/Miami at 1230p, FSU/Miami at 430pm and USC/Texas at 730pm. If they did Texas @ USC at 4/5p and Ole Miss at Cal @730p, they might have lower total daily viewership because two of those three ACC games would overlap. Just trying to keep hope alive for a non 730 kick, ya know?

Still think Fox taking USC v Texas at 430p makes so much sense (if Fox chooses first) because Fox doesn't have any other good games to show. It's also possible that espn would trade that weekend to Fox to get a better weekend later.

Last year the fall OOC schedules came out mid-may, so at least we won't have to check scenarios up to 6 days out.
    Question: What's the process you refer to when you cite either Fox or ESPN has the first choice? Is this a formal procedure per the FCC or just something among the networks? Flip a coin?

Question: What's the process you refer to when you cite either Fox or ESPN has the first choice? Is this a formal procedure per the FCC or just something among the networks? Flip a coin?
    Uh, not FCC.

I'm sure there's a formal procedure outlined in the Pac 12 TV contract. Would guess they either just alternate weeks (but can trade and negotiate), or they draft weeks in advance upon seeing the schedule. But in the end each get 6 or 7 first picks - though I also don't know how the weeknight games affect the process. It gets more complicated because each network has a number of 6 day windows they can invoke, but there seems to be little incentive for releasing teams to the pac 12 network early.

My personal opinion is that there are too many partner entities to efficiently get the schedule made any time in advance, which is partially why we are in the mess we are in.

Consider the SEC agreement - CBS takes first pick, one game. ESPN sets everything else. They even set the SEC network schedule, so things can be done in advance and more efficiently. If a game ends on being switch from ESPN2 to SECN, no big deal, ESPN still owns it. So start times can be set in advance, but the network decision isn't set.

The same was true with the OLD Big Ten agreement with ABC/ESPN. Lots of game times in advance, network TBD. The Big Ten also had rules that limited night games and announced all night games early. But now consider the Big Ten sold rights to BOTH Fox and ESPN in 2017. For a $%#@ ton of money. I'm thinking they might start to run into the same issues as the Pac 12 sees currently with fan discontent. We'll see. If they do, they can console themselves with the even larger piles of money they made selling out the fan though.

Pac-12 Broadcast Schedule

NOTE: This list includes telecasts that fall under the TV contracts for the conference. Any road non-conference games fall under the home team's telecast rights.

The Pac-12 has a pair of rightsholders: ESPN and FOX Sports Media Group. Contracts with both entities start with the 2012-13 athletic year and end after the 2023-24 athletic year.

ESPN Rights Notes

At least two games on ABC, with one game required to air in primetime on the east coast
    Up to twenty games on ESPN Networks (ESPN, ESPN2 & ESPNU)
    Of the twenty games on ESPN Networks, up to four games on Thursday nights & up to four games on Friday night.
    Up to four of the twenty games can air on ESPNU
    Most ESPN/ESPN2 Saturday games will air at 10pm or 10:30pm ET

FSMG Rights Notes

A minimum of eight games on FOX
    A maximum of fourteen games on FS1
    At least four games on FOX will air in primetime.

Overall, the conference works with both ESPN and FOX to place at least four games on Thursdays and another four games on Fridays, including the day after Thanksgiving. FOX and ESPN will alternate airing the Pac-12 Championship Game. In even-numbered seasons, FOX will air the game. ESPN has the rights in odd-numbered years.

The conference has also created the Pac-12 Networks, a mix of six regional networks and a national networks, to air all other games.

A school may not appear more than nine times combined in the ESPN and FOX packages. This is to allow the Pac-12 Networks to air at least one game from every school, assuming a school plays at least one home non-conference game.

http://mattsarzsports.com/Contract/G...7#.WO4Jq-llDqB
    Last edited by BearBackerinLA; 04-12-2017 at 04:39 AM.

revised Week 2 guesstimate now shows Weber State game at 5 pm Pacific ...
    http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2...-week.html?m=1

Week 2 Weber State game guess ...

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2...-week.html?m=1

2 p.m. Pacific on Pac 12 Bay Area.

revised Week 3 guesstimate ...

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2...r-week_15.html

Week 3 Ole Miss game guess ...

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2...ek_22.html?m=1

Night game alert ... 7:30 p.m. Pacific on ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyght4Cal View Post
    We may be just waking up for that game. Nightmares of Maryland.
    Having attended the Maryland game, my thoughts exactly. Chance of high humidity-almost 100%. I hope they travel on Thursday.
    Hard to imagine this time slot going any other way, but we can hope.

True Blue Golden Bear going4roses's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mbBear View Post
    Having attended the Maryland game, my thoughts exactly. Chance of high humidity-almost 100%. I hope they travel on Thursday.
    When do classes start? Probably not gonna happen. Missed classes+ $$$ to stay an extra night. idk

Extra$$$=win vs nc whats the magic number

you missed the revised estimate I posted above which now shows ...

California at North Carolina, 5:30pm Eastern/2:30pm Pacific on ESPN

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2...for-weeks.html

Quote Originally Posted by mbBear View Post
    Last edited by BearBackerinLA; 04-16-2017 at 06:14 PM.