Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have to disagree

Have to disagree

"Cal Athletics wanted to save money, period. While both guys may do some good things for Cal, these two hires don't come with anything near the excitement we had when Dykes and Martin were first brought on board. With Dykes, we had the pipe dream of the Bear Raid. With Martin, we had someone who was red hot with success at Tennessee. To me, the direction right now of Cal's two revenue-generating sports is just blah. Plain and simply, blah."

From a comment at another site..

wow, we had so much excitement with the hiring, but so disappointed with the results .. I think the direction is much better than blah ..

Hiring news does not get me excited.. teams that play well and execute do .. Dykes had no defense, Martin had no offense, hard to get excited about watching those games

I don't have an opinion on the basketball side, but I think that view of the football fire/hire is absurd. Cal Athletics wanted to save money...so they bit a $5 million dollar bullet to get rid of Dykes? Even apart from that nonsense, that view of the new football hires is terrible. It sees no further than the eye-popping Bear Raid stats and ignores not only all of the strengths of Wilcox as a prospective HC but also the terrific staff that has come in with him.

True Blue Golden Bear going4roses's Avatar
    Hmm k

Good post. I'm more excited about Cal football, because I think Wilcox and his staff are a great long term play, and I can see results in a couple years. Next year will be tough, but I expected that no matter who was the head coach.

I liked the Martin hire - he was a known commodity, and when he recruited Rabb and Martin I was excited, but I think the teams under-perfornmed. I'm not sure what the future holds with Jones, it could be great. Time will tell. This is me not knowing enough to make a informed opinion at this time. But I agree, it is not about the hype, it is ultimately about results. Good example for everyone: SC fans hated the Pete Carroll hire for one season. Then Pete was awesome.

Last point, Assuming Cal was not going to pay crazy money to go after someone Saban-like, Wilcox would have been the choice. His selection was not about saving money. Whoever made the comment did not know the process. I don't know enough about the basketball hire to comment.

Edit: the other problem with basketball is the one and done rule. Your program can be great one year and crappy the next year. Hard to get excited.
    Last edited by wifeisafurd; 04-15-2017 at 12:09 PM.

If Cal wanted to save money, Sonny Dykes would be our coach today.

Agree with OP's disagreement.

First, Wilcox Excitement = Dykes Excitement (approx). Whoever was seduced by the Bear Raid, to the extent that they thought it was a panacea, was naive. In fact, the more one knows about the subject, the more one is likely to be excited by Wilcox (over Sonny).

Second, these were not cost-cutting measures. They were the best we could do. Somebody tell me who we could've attracted for 3 mill to coach football, or for 2 mill to coach basketball? We had to go with assistants and hope they are WORTH the higher salaries in a few years. If so, we will pay.

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    Good post. I'm more excited about Cal football, because I think Wilcox and his staff are a great long term play, and I can see results in a couple years. Next year will be tough, but I expected that no matter who was the head coach.

I liked the Martin hire - he was a known commodity, and when he recruited Rabb and Martin I was excited, but I think the teams under-perfornmed. I'm not sure what the future holds with Jones, it could be great. Time will tell. This is me not knowing enough to make a informed opinion at this time. But I agree, it is not about the hype, it is ultimately about results. Good example for everyone: SC fans hated the Pete Carroll hire for one season. Then Pete was awesome.

Last point, Assuming Cal was not going to pay crazy money to go after someone Saban-like, Wilcox would have been the choice. His selection was not about saving money. Whoever made the comment did not know the process. I don't know enough about the basketball hire to comment.

Edit: the other problem with basketball is the one and done rule. Your program can be great one year and crappy the next year. Hard to get excited.
    Agreed Wife!

I'm always excited with new Cal coaching hires because usually they come after we suck. Hope is a good thing perhaps the best of things. Thanks Andy.

The only thing the Dykes hire excited in me was a deep sense of nausea. He was a mediocrity at the mid-major level who quickly showed he was over his depth in the PAC12. Wilcox may not succeed but I think we'll see a better balanced approach from him. Jones, probably another reach but I hope he proves me wrong.
    Access is better than ownership!

+2 - If a person can't see the differences in the hirings, I wonder about their analytical ability.

Quote Originally Posted by 59bear View Post
    The only thing the Dykes hire excited in me was a deep sense of nausea. He was a mediocrity at the mid-major level who quickly showed he was over his depth in the PAC12.
    Statement of the year!

The only thing the Dykes hire excited in me was a deep sense of nausea. He was a mediocrity at the mid-major level who quickly showed he was over his depth in the PAC12.
    Thank you. He did what go 9-4 one year at LaTech? I'm glad he won the two Texas Games. After that he was worse than Roger Theder. I love the Wilcox hire--partly because Dykes is gone. If you were physically present for the 2013 SC and Stanford blowout losses, I refuse to believe that you ever believed Dykes could or would actually succeed. Leaving Stanford Stadium that November was awful for me was the lowest point ever with respect to anything associated with Cal. Wilcox 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

I am more than stoked by the football hires...an up and coming defensive minded HC with two very very good ex HC's as coordinators

So damn happy

The only thing the Dykes hire excited in me was a deep sense of nausea. He was a mediocrity at the mid-major level who quickly showed he was over his depth in the PAC12. Wilcox may not succeed but I think we'll see a better balanced approach from him. Jones, probably another reach but I hope he proves me wrong.
    If a balanced approach means more wins that's great. It's all about the wins. If we have a vastly improved defense and aren't winning football games, balance means nothing. It bothers me that a lot of people are willing to give Wilcox a free pass next year. Like we have no chance to beat NC, Ole Miss or anyone else with a heart beat. To create excitement and ramp up recruiting, we have to win some games, at least 4 or 5. By this time next year we'll have a pretty good read on the Wilcox hire. He'll win at least 4 to 6 games, be competitive in most the others, and put together a top recruiting class. Nothing really exciting on the recruiting front at this point. Probably have to win some games to get a lot of top recruits, including Tui and/or Holland.

Wilcox can't be worse than Dykes and won't be. Dykes was allowed all sorts of excuses for his failures, Twenty years from now he'll still have the worst season in history and thankfully no one will still offer up the excuses for his excessively bad coaching. Wilcox👍👍👍👍👍👍👍