Thread: CAL Rugby wins

CAL Rugby wins

CAL beat Clemson 71-5 and will play Penn State, which beat Army. The game will be at Witter at 1:00 pm on April 22.

Great! Thanks for the score - been looking all over for it..................

Great news! Thanks for the update....and go Bears!

Help me understand Varsity Cup vs D1A Rugby National Championship. Especially how Cal and UCLA are in the former and Utah and Arizona are in the later.
    D1A looks to be backed by USA Rugby. NCAA doesn't recognize either but does recognize women's rugby?

Go Bears!

I didn't get to watch, but it sounds like maybe ask the frosh and soph players we've had to use this season are finally beginning to gel?

Quote Originally Posted by YamhillBear View Post
    I didn't get to watch, but it sounds like maybe ask the frosh and soph players we've had to use this season are finally beginning to gel?
    Yeah, it seems Cal knew Clemson was not going to be a challenge and took opportunity to give underclassmen experience...........

I've been following Cal rugby for a couple of decades, and I still have trouble understanding how the US collegiate world is organized. Best I can do for you is to direct you to the Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varsity_Cup_Championship

A number of colleges including Cal split off from USA Rugby (who started a national championship in 1980) a number of years ago to create their own men's championship called the Varsity Cup. Some colleges have joined while others have dropped over the years of the Varsity Cup but mainly around 14-16 colleges are involved. Two of the heavyweight colleges, Cal and BYU were in the Varsity Cup until this year when BYU moved back to USA rugby after having their 2015 Varsity Cup championship vacated for using a ineligible player in the championship game against Cal. The rest of the colleges remained in the USA championships and there are different levels of competition. St. Mary's is part of the USA Rugby Championship and is hosting the D1 game this year.

The NCAA has identified women's rugby as a "emerging" sport but the championships are still run by USA Rugby.

Varsity Cup: http://varsitycup.us/

USA Rugby: http://varsitycup.us/

Go Bears

Some more details on the great schism can be found here. (Link fixed, thanks YB).

This year, the three top ranked team (St Mary's, Life and BYU) and, overall, the highest ranked teams are playing in the D1A championships while #4 Cal is top ranked in the Varsity Cup.
    Last edited by Aussie Bear; 04-17-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bear View Post
    Some more details on the great schism can be found here.

This year, the three top ranked team (St Mary's, Life and BYU) and, overall, the highest ranked teams are playing in the D1A championships while #4 Cal is top ranked in the Varsity Cup.
    There was a typo in Aussie's link. Here is the corrected one: http://www.rugbytoday.com/college/cl...-arizona-state. And I should add that it's a great article, making about as much sense trying to explain the situation (while also admitting that it probably is missing a lot of nuances as well). Kinda like explaining the tax code, or airplane ticket pricing...

But overall, my personal spin is that until this year, the Varsity Cup champ was pretty clearly able to be called the national champion. This year, and going forward, that does not seem clear cut, just based on who's in the Varsity Cup and who isn't.
    Last edited by YamhillBear; 04-17-2017 at 08:15 AM. Reason: adding comments

Video of the game is finally (at least as of this moment) available on the Clemson Rugby Facebook page. It is in two parts, first half and second half. To access, you will need to scroll down the page.

Quote Originally Posted by TomBear View Post
    Video of the game is finally (at least as of this moment) available on the Clemson Rugby Facebook page. It is in two parts, first half and second half. To access, you will need to scroll down the page.
    Thanks, TomBear. I will watch the Clemson match this week and see you Saturday at the Varsity Cup semifinal at Witter Field this Saturday.

Go Bears!

Thanks for excellent the RugbyToday article. Explains a lot. It's pretty clear (esp with the score vs Clemson) that there isn't enough depth in the college rugby game for two tournaments, maybe not even enough for a fully competitive single tournament. So I hope sometime soon the schools can all get together in a single championship. It'll make for better games and therefore it'll better for the game.