Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: salary Wilcox?

salary Wilcox?

someone remind me what Wilcox is making pls.

Washington: Head coach Chris Petersen has received a contract extension through 2023 with an average salary of $4.875 million,

Nothing close to this or what any other veteran HC with that type of record is making.

Under $2 million. That doesn't mean he might not be making a lot more if he wins. Petersen is a proven winner, and his salary strikes me as current market.

Edit: this is salary, not including incentives.
    Last edited by wifeisafurd; 04-15-2017 at 07:35 PM.

Any coach that takes over a struggling program and takes it to a play-off (top 4 in the country will get $4 million.

I am rooting for Coach Wilcox to make it to this level.

Go Bears!

Why is Petersen's salary at UW relevant to Wilcox's salary?

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    Under $2 million. That doesn't mean he might not be making a lot more if he wins. Petersen is a proven winner, and his salary strikes me as current market.
    Is that a fact or a guess? If its a fact I'm surprised he's not making the established salary level Dykes was getting as that's usually how these non-profits operate.

Quote Originally Posted by SFBear2012 View Post
    Is that a fact or a guess? If its a fact I'm surprised he's not making the established salary level Dykes was getting as that's usually how these non-profits operate.
    Unless something changed. Fact. It was all part of a budget developed by Wilcox and designed to be attractive to an excellent staff. In my view, this shows amazing foresight by Wilcox, and another reason why I think he will succeed. For a contrast, look at the later JT years where he made big bucks for the day, but the staff was paid below market.

Edit: this is salary, not including incentives.
    Just loved the latter part of your comment, in terms of you mentioned "market". It's always relevant when discussing intercollegiate sports because those that decry the current "arms race" in college sports always want to compare apples and oranges where they'll compare Jim Harbaugh's salary to the high school math teacher in Detroit, or compare Mora's contract to Jerry Brown's.

Quote Originally Posted by conservativebear View Post
    Just loved the latter part of your comment, in terms of you mentioned "market". It's always relevant when discussing intercollegiate sports because those that decry the current "arms race" in college sports always want to compare apples and oranges where they'll compare Jim Harbaugh's salary to the high school math teacher in Detroit, or compare Mora's contract to Jerry Brown's.
    Free market for coach compensation.

Not free market for player compensation. If CFB (and CBB) players were compensated at market rates, it might affect the market rate for coaches given remaining budget at most schools.

Unless something changed. Fact. It was all part of a budget developed by Wilcox and designed to be attractive to an excellent staff. In my view, this shows amazing foresight by Wilcox, and another reason why I think he will succeed. For a contrast, look at the later JT years where he made big bucks for the day, but the staff was paid below market.
    That's great to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by conservativebear View Post
    No matter what you want to compare it to it will still bother me that glorified PE instructors are making that kind of money. Yes, I understand how, but no, I don't have to like it.

Only in the sense that Petersen's salary shows what a successful Pac 12 fb coach gets $$$....and then one wonders if Wilcox is successful, would Cal get to the point of offering such $$.?

Lotta things going on with Cal Athletics right now and in the next year or so, I think, long before Wilcox might reach Petersen's w/l level.

Quote Originally Posted by OdontoBear66 View Post
    No matter what you want to compare it to it will still bother me that glorified PE instructors are making that kind of money. Yes, I understand how, but no, I don't have to like it.
    I know, right? I mean when has anything as frivolous as athletic competition ever brought people from different backgrounds together to give them a common perspective? No PE teacher, glorified or otherwise, has ever done something truly meaningful like cripple an entire civilization in a matter of hours by leveling even one, let alone two of its cities. Gotta study STEM to be able to make superior contributions to humanity like that. Good thing we have elitist academic snobs like you to set the record straight.

Quote Originally Posted by oskigobears View Post
    Only in the sense that Petersen's salary shows what a successful Pac 12 fb coach gets $$$....and then one wonders if Wilcox is successful, would Cal get to the point of offering such $$.?

Lotta things going on with Cal Athletics right now and in the next year or so, I think, long before Wilcox might reach Petersen's w/l level.
    If Wilcox gets Cal to the playoffs, the donors will be crawling over each other to pay part of his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBlue1999 View Post
    I know, right? I mean when has anything as frivolous as athletic competition ever brought people from different backgrounds together to give them a common perspective? No PE teacher, glorified or otherwise, has ever done something truly meaningful like cripple an entire civilization in a matter of hours by leveling even one, let alone two of its cities. Gotta study STEM to be able to make superior contributions to humanity like that. Good thing we have elitist academic snobs like you to set the record straight.
    Well that really hurt badly. My Easter bunny has been wounded.