Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Initial 2017 Football Depth Chart Analysis

The defense sounds like it is going to be much improved, I was surprised at the upbeat tone of that analysis.

Depth is a big issue, welcome to Cal Coach Wilcox & staff. Something tells me that in 2-3 recruiting cycles we won't be saying we're concerned about depth anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bears4Life 21 View Post
    Awesome post. I'd also like to know about the safeties. How are Hawkins, Rambo, Brown, and Tartabull progressing?Also will Juarez compete for a spot at OT? And how's Psalms doing?
    Hawkins will push to start. Rambo's still on the mend from the ACL injury in early October and will be back for the season. Brown's had a good spring and Tartabull seems to finally be healthy so he'll be in the mix. Haven't seen too much from Psalms. Juarez won't start. Would be nice if he could work his way into the rotation at some point this season.

This was a really helpful writeup! Doesn't really sound all that dire compared to past years. I continue to think we can have a 6+ win season with quality coaching. We will need to recruit well to improve going forward given that we had a weak recruiting class this year and that a lot of these contributors are upperclassmen.

Great write-up, CalHoopFan! Can I ask where you are getting your info from, especially since most of the practices have been closed? Is a lot of it you putting two and two together, based on your analysis of all the info made public so far?

Didn't see mention of Evan Weaver... what's up there?
    == Edit == Thanks MB, I see the Weaver mention now. I had blown past it.
    Last edited by Big C_Cal; 04-19-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Your answer's in the first sentence:

Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    I will have a more detailed personnel overview after catching some practices this week..
    Donors have always been able to see practice with advance approval.

Weaver was mentioned with the OLB's and was mentioned earlier in the thread as being limited by injuries.

I posted some more specific thoughts from practice observations on the Insider board here: http://bearinsider.com/forums/showth...lcox-s-program

Hoop: You have Enwere as Watson's primary back-up but I would guess they would be more like 1A and 1B--in other words, neither is a true starter. But you've seen practices and I haven't. I have always liked Enwere's skill set and his potential, so maybe I am biased. I like Watson a lot as well but just thinking they will both be pretty significantly in the mix. Just wondering about your take on this.

I bet total snaps are split more like 1.75 Watson to 1 for Enwere. Reasoning: 1.) Watson can play in short yardage and goal line as well as every other situation, he's more versatile; 2.) Watson is a much stronger receiver and Baldwin's offense relies heavily on passes to the RBs; 3.) Watson is quicker and hits the hold faster so he'll be more effective IMO against fresher defenses early in games and in contests where our OL is creating less push. Enwere will get a lot of 4Q carries when we're wearing teams out and might be more effective when we're getting a big push as his size and top end speed are scary good.

Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    I bet total snaps are split more like 1.75 Watson to 1 for Enwere. Reasoning: 1.) Watson can play in short yardage and goal line as well as every other situation, he's more versatile; 2.) Watson is a much stronger receiver and Baldwin's offense relies heavily on passes to the RBs; 3.) Watson is quicker and hits the hold faster so he'll be more effective IMO against fresher defenses early in games and in contests where our OL is creating less push. Enwere will get a lot of 4Q carries when we're wearing teams out and might be more effective when we're getting a big push as his size and top end speed are scary good.
    I would love to see us throw to Watson a ton. RBs in the college pass offense are such an underutilized weapon. They are covered by LBs for christsakes. It's a mismatch from the get go.