Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT Aaron Hernandez dead

Quote Originally Posted by GB54 View Post
    That's the working theory but I suspect the murder victims family may sue for same
    Dudes a piece of **** but as a father anyone could understand that thinking. I messed up, Im a loser, Ill never get out. Whats the best decision I could make at this point in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusArelliusDaBearius View Post
    Dudes a piece of **** but as a father anyone could understand that thinking. I messed up, Im a loser, Ill never get out. Whats the best decision I could make at this point in my life.
    I doubt if Hernandez was an expert on vague criminal law in the Commonwealth, so maybe he had some help or maybe he had another motive?

Every single aspect of this story kind of makes me sick.

crazy end to a sad story. to a certain extent, it probably helps the victims families as they dont have to wonder about appeals etc. up to the man upstairs to make the final judgment now.

Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    Every single aspect of this story kind of makes me sick.
    Yes. He was a bad guy. No loss.

You reap what you sow.

Didn't the NFL protect OJ's pension from the courts and the Goldman family?

Quote Originally Posted by gobears725 View Post
    crazy end to a sad story. to a certain extent, it probably helps the victims families as they dont have to wonder about appeals etc. up to the man upstairs to make the final judgment now.

LOL. Under that definition then all convictions are void and everybody is innocent upon death. You can appeal anything in our legal system and then restart the whole process again based on "new information". The cycle never stops.

Quote Originally Posted by sp4149 View Post
    semantics, but the correct way to frame it is that federal law protected OJ's NFL pension from the Goldman family. NFL just pays it.

Quote Originally Posted by sp4149 View Post
    ???? I was just commenting that at least the victim's families don't have to worry about Hernandez winning an appeal and getting out of jail. If something so tragic ever happened to me, I'd hate it if it kept dragging out. Hopefully the victim's families can find some peace and closure.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    Hernandez died innocent under the law.
    To clarify. A person who is found not guilty of a crime is not found to be
    "innocent". That person is merely found "not guilty". That person might still be morally guilty of the crime but the prosecuter was not able to convince a jury of such guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GivemTheAxe View Post
    "innocent". That person is merely found "not guilty". That person might still be morally guilty of the crime but the prosecuter was not able to convince a jury of such guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
    Well he wasn't found "not guilty" either. What I am saying is that basically his whole case is a nullity since while we was convicted in his first case, his conviction was basically void because he died while his appeal was pending. So essentially, like a games that have been vacated, his conviction was vacated. So in that sense I am saying he is "innocent." Basically the case was voided/vacated. Of course we all know he wasn't but...

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ncsf View Post
    What are you talking about? He was already in jail for killing somebody else. This is no loss!
    Read @okaydo's citation to a technical procedural rule under Massachusetts law.

Quote Originally Posted by GivemTheAxe View Post
    I think you bring up two important points. No one is found to be innocent under the law. The criminal law presumes that someone is innocent until they have been found guilty without reasonable doubt.

However, I think you also bring up another point that people seem to confuse. The general public is not a criminal court. The reason for such high standard in a criminal court is to protect potentially innocent person from the devastating effect of being found guilty by the government (e.g., take away someone's liberty or property). The societal opinion is that it is better to let guilty people go if that is the price to reduce the odds that an innocent person would be found guilty. The public opinion is not bound by the same standard. And someone can clearly be morally guilty even if they are not found legally and criminally guilty. It bugs me when people confuse legal standard for criminal conviction with general public opinion. As such, I think your point is salient.

Having said all that, and no matter what I think about Aaron as a human being, it does make me sad that he no longer has a chance to repent or be a father to his daughter.