Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: UC Berkeley tucks its tail between its legs...cancels speech by Ann Coulter

True Blue Golden Bear Phantomfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GB54 View Post

Screw all these androids
    Human suits are getting creepy as hell. These two have really pushed into the uncanny valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomfan View Post
    This is the dumbest comment you have made.
    I pretty much stand by my comments but even I think I've posted something dumber than that

Then it should be consistent. If an on campus club for the advancement of Palestine invited a speaker from Hamas who advocated terrorism then the same rules should apply. I don't think student groups have a right to invite speakers on campus and pay speakers in the name of the University.
    Funny you should mention that. The Berkeley Muslim Student's Association and Students for Justice in Palestine frequently bring in guests that some people consider to be anti-semetic or pro-terrorism (pro-hamas or pro-muslim brotherhood). In fact - google search Hatem Bazian - a professor at Cal who has been accused of those things. Those groups have events on campus with some pretty controversial speakers - as they should be allowed to.

Oh - and then there's this. Louis Farrakhan spoke at Wheeler Hall in 2012.

http://www.dailycal.org/2012/03/10/l...t-uc-berkeley/

I'm sure I can find many more examples of controversial speeches at Cal. That should be considered a good thing - even if I disagree with the viewpoint. The problem is that many on this board seem fine with banning (or at least discouraging/burdening) views they disagree with.

Quote Originally Posted by dajo9 View Post
    I pretty much stand by my comments but even I think I've posted something dumber than that
    Finally - we agree on something. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by barabbas View Post
    I think it would be much more constructive of the "Berkeley College Republicans" would invite a mainstream Republican, instead of those who like to provoke the other side like Ann Coulter and the Breitbart dude. There are a lot of conservatives who can express themselves without trying to upset anyone who disagrees with them.
    Of course it would. But that is irrelevant. Is Cal now limiting itself to "mainstream" and uncontroversial speakers? Is the goal to bring in only speakers "who can express themselves without trying to upset anyone who disagrees with them"?

Honestly - that is a very scary. I hope you didn't mean that.

I think (ii) has already happened. Right wingers are driving to Berkeley from as far as Montana just to fight antifas. And they are initiating as much as they are defending themselves. Personally, I think UC Berkeley should announce a 6 month moratorium on all public speakers to let things cool off.
    Great post.... hopefully the Montana yahoos who drive to Berkeley to get in fights will return home. And in the spirit of fair play, ALL guest speakers including liberals, should also be banned for six months.

Quote Originally Posted by BearGoggles View Post
    Funny you should mention that. The Berkeley Muslim Student's Association and Students for Justice in Palestine frequently bring in guests that some people consider to be anti-semetic or pro-terrorism (pro-hamas or pro-muslim brotherhood). In fact - google search Hatem Bazian - a professor at Cal who has been accused of those things. Those groups have events on campus with some pretty controversial speakers - as they should be allowed to.

Oh - and then there's this. Louis Farrakhan spoke at Wheeler Hall in 2012.

http://www.dailycal.org/2012/03/10/l...t-uc-berkeley/

I'm sure I can find many more examples of controversial speeches at Cal. That should be considered a good thing - even if I disagree with the viewpoint. The problem is that many on this board seem fine with banning (or at least discouraging/burdening) views they disagree with.
    I don't think Farrakhan should be allowed to speak on campus if invited by students. OTOH if a Professor invited a pro hamas or pro muslim brotherhood speaker based on course content or scholarship I'd be ok with it.

+1

Why should some (most) student groups be allowed to use campus facilities but others not be allowed to do so?
    If there is a safety concern then it should be taken into consideration for all groups. In this case the University and the UCPD considered the appearance by Coulter to be a safety concern which is good enough for me given last weekend's cluster****. Why should the University, UCPD and the City incur additional cost and legal exposure?

Quote Originally Posted by BearNIt View Post
    If there is a safety concern then it should be taken into consideration for all groups. In this case the University and the UCPD considered the appearance by Coulter to be a safety concern which is good enough for me given last weekend's cluster****. Why should the University, UCPD and the City incur additional cost and legal exposure?
    Why should the criminal element control speech on campus? Why should the administration abdicate to violence? Seriously. Giving in to threats of violence who's only aim is to quiet opposing views is just flat wrong.

Which liberal groups have: (i) been forced to move events off campus and/or had UC dictate time and place of their event; and/or (ii) been hit with high security bills? This is a serious question - I'm not aware of any but I may have missed that.

And for the record, this is not a case of BCR being asked to pay a higher price - they are being told they have to have the event off campus and subject to other requirements.

Analogy to SUPERB/music concerts seems misplaced. Those are entertainment events paid for with student fees and outside sponsors. I believe it is non-political (or as much as programming can be at a university). No heckler's veto implications.
    1) Ann Coulter is an entertainer, not a politician, who is (was) also being paid for with student fees and outside sponsors (unless its all from students fees). FYI for Milo, they had an outside sponsor. Just like SUPERB.

2) The fact that they booked Ann Freaking Coulter, without even consulting it with the University tells me that they're not actually serious about having this event go off. If you want to have a super high profile celeb speak on campus, the least you could do is plan it with your school ahead of time. Instead, the University asks you to reschedule so that you can work together to do that which you should have done in the first place. . . Plan. But... let's assume they are serious about these speakers.

While I don't know if any liberal groups have had to move their events off campus before, I doubt it. But I do know that we've had famous conservative speakers on campus before. I was at Rand Paul not long ago, and Megan McCain before that. Clearly, Cal wasn't trying to silence them. What's happening now is new, at least for this generation. I agree they they don't have an adequate response, and that UCPD doesn't know how to handle these anarchists. They're not alone. Oakland didn't. Charlotte didn't. I'm no more surprised that UC is ill equipped to handle this, than I am about them not being able to handle sexual assaults adequately. Yes, something needs to be figured out.

The last liberal guest we discussed here, whom I now can't recall, had a bill of over 7k. The conservative response at the time was "well duh, they're famous!". Which I agree with. I don't think it's fair to the BCR that they use their funds to cover the cost of all of the liberal guests the majority will invite. Nor should they use their funds to help pay Lil B's ridiculous appearance fee, just because SUPERB wants to throw a party.

I also understand what the university is doing with their restrictions. Keeping the time and place on the DL makes it harder for the Black Bloc and the like to plan their fuckery. I do believe this is about safety, not about trying to sneakily get these appearances cancelled. Some disagree. I also understand where you're coming from. You don't want these anarchists to win. And we are doing just that by trying to work around them and their hostility. I don't know what the answer is, but I know that a great starting point is planning the event with the university. Not just letting them find out in the news and hoping everything to works itself out. Maybe they'll have a different plan for September.
    Last edited by socaliganbear; 04-19-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Looks like a court is ordering Auburn University to host Nazi Richard Spencer
    Already happened. He called out Aubun football for having black players. Said he'd shut it down.
    Last edited by socaliganbear; 04-19-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tequila4kapp View Post
    Why should the criminal element control speech on campus? Why should the administration abdicate to violence? Seriously. Giving in to threats of violence who's only aim is to quiet opposing views is just flat wrong.
    I don't think it's the Universities job to stand up against violence by outsiders other than to keep its community safe. That said, I think the Berkeley police have been an abject failure and I think the Mayor should be held to account.

These things are all related: Milo is invited; anarchists bring violence against Milo; alt right groups stage rally in park to show they can speak in Berkeley; anarchists come out and more violence ensues. Coulter is invited. This isn't about speech, it's about inciting violence from outside forces- not students-on campus. If policing these days is to sit around and watch, it makes no sense for Cal to play this game.
    Last edited by GB54; 04-19-2017 at 04:10 PM.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Same sex organs
    Whatever junk he has, hers is bigger.