Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OT: Cal Stars announced it summer elite squad

@ Clay- Thanks anyways I thought you might be there covering it/writing an article. I'm going to Walnut Creek tourney next weekend to get one last look of this group of Cal Stars.

I found out Cal Stars won the gold bracket and the defending national champs Team Elite (GA) repeated. CalStars 1 loss to the Belles during the national round dropped them out of contention to play for the championship/platinum game. Team Elite only loss was to Cal Stars but at the IN tournament...you can afford to drop a game or two during the circuit rounds, drop one at nationals you need help from the other top 4 teams in each pool to drop one also to stay alive/compete in platinum run.

I heard the ladies are happy about winning (last year they won the silver bracket) although they wouldv'e preferred the platinum/national championship trophy.

Guess I'll subscribe to FloHoops next season to watch girls and boys eybl...dang, seems like yesterday I could watch nationals and peach jam on the Cube! Lol
    Last edited by 85 Fly; 07-14-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Cal Stars were 10-1 through the last viewing period, and beat Cy-Fair, who many considered the other top team, in the Gold final. And beat Team Elite, which won the Platinum.

In the past couple years, the Nike Nationals' winner had finished second in pool play, but the format was changed this year.

The upcoming tournament will be at the Ultimate Fieldhouse in Walnut Creek, which is out Ygnacio Valley Road in the Shadelands Business Park. (It's where the old Contra Costa Times building was, which is somewhat nostalgic and depressing for me.) Very nice facility but hope for cooler weather. The lobby has AC, but not the courts.

San Jose Cagers will be there along with Cal Stars, and Haley Jones will probably play for the Cagers (read Archbishop Mitty) in this event. Full list here: http://www.eotbasketball.com/eot/tou...p?tid=13&cid=2
    Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā

https://twitter.com/Kenzie4bs?ref_sr...om%2Fforums%2F

If Cal can land some of these girls (in addition to Kenzie Forbes), the Bears might compete at the top of the conference, again. If Acquira Decosta and Haley Jones end up in Berkeley along with Kianna Smith and Alaysia Styles, look out pac 12! GO BEARS!
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 07-16-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
    San Jose Cagers will be there along with Cal Stars, and Haley Jones will probably play for the Cagers (read Archbishop Mitty) in this event. Full list here: http://www.eotbasketball.com/eot/tou...p?tid=13&cid=2
    just curious, why do you think HJ will play with cagers and not with Cal Stars??

There's always a tug of war between elite high school summer programs and club summer programs. Haley Jones played with Cal Stars during the EYBL season, but the second viewing period isn't nearly as competitive so I don't think Kelly Sopak would mind letting Jones play for Sue Phillips and Mitty. Of course, Jones may have a preference, so who knows how it will play out, but it makes sense to split the season between the two programs. And it's just more minutes for the other players on Cal Stars if Jones doesn't play for them.

I cant wait to see her join the mitty team again who looks to be playing well this summer.. HJ combined with Ortiz (big 10/ pac 12 offers) and Blakes (san diego commit) should be a lot of fun to watch next year but I think we will have to wait until the high school season to see it..

Haley Jones will be playing with Cal Stars

And she did yesterday ... good crowd at Ultimate Fieldhouse, which was pretty toasty in the East Bay heat. Lots of coaches though not a lot of elite teams. They've pretty much scattered to the winds after Nike Nationals and aren't really playing in the same events.

Lots of good players in Walnut Creek, and the event runs through Tuesday. Championship game at 2 p.m. tomorrow.

Thanks, Clay. Can you post who will be in he championship when you know? If Cal Stars are playing, I'll drop by.

When does Cal Stars play in the semi's today?

Looks like Cal Stars will play NW Stars Navy 17U at 9:15 in Walnut Creek.

Here's NW Stars' roster: http://nwstars.net/rosters-2017/17u-navy/

Championship game is at 2 p.m. today ... barring a major upset, Cal Stars will be in it.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
    Championship game is at 2 p.m. today ... barring a major upset, Cal Stars will be in it.
    I forgot is the NW Stars the team coach Kelly affliated with too?

Are the brackets incorrect, because if you scroll over to the right, it shows Cal Stars playing NW Stars Navy at 9:15 this morning.

http://www.eotbasketball.com/eot/tou...p?tid=13&cid=3

Really confusing, because Cal Stars tweeted that they're not playing the NW Stars but rather another team.

Cal Stars
    Cal Stars EYBL and 2020 Elite both reach bracket finals of the @EOTBasketball Bay Area Ultimate Challenge #onetwostars
    Last edited by MoragaBear; Yesterday at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OBear073akaSMFan View Post
    I forgot is the NW Stars the team coach Kelly affliated with too?
    yes it is the team that sopak is involved with. How much involvement is another question I guess.