Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Free speech can and must be protected

This investigator has more videos which have interesting content if specious conclusions. They are well worth a watch. I recommend you watch them all the way through. He thinks the Berkeley PD orchestrated heinous things, which isn't super supported by the evidence. What is supported is that police grade munitions (smoke, flash, and sound) were shot into the Trump Nationalist camp. Also, as this video shows, this police munitions did occur at the same time that the big brawl between antifa and the Nationalists happened.

It is interesting to see the actual context of the Nazi punching the antifa girl as well. Was this caused by the police? Or Agent Provocateurs? Who knows? The evidence is slim. The evidence does show police grade munitions in the middle of all of this. Ask your friends who are into guns and explosives if you are skeptical. These aren't things you can buy anywhere in the US legally. Or anywhere easily. You can't go to Mexico and pick up flash grenades.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaremontBear View Post
    It is interesting to see the actual context of the Nazi punching the antifa girl as well. Was this caused by the police?
    Interesting? That guy punched a woman in the face, who was standing there at the time and not even fighting the guy. He rushed to her. What's interesting about that?

Quote Originally Posted by ferCALgm2 View Post
    Interesting? That guy punched a woman in the face, who was standing there at the time and not even fighting the guy. He rushed to her. What's interesting about that?
    Maybe he didn't want to assume her gender identity. Equal opportunity puncher.

Quote Originally Posted by ferCALgm2 View Post
    Her reaction to him marching threatening in her direction was to rush at him aggressively. Idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by GB54 View Post
    Anarchists are getting a bad name which is regrettable
    anarchists deserve everything bad that is every written about them .. you have your opinion, I have mine

Quote Originally Posted by cubzwin View Post
    The Milo riots were caused by about 100 so-called Black Bloc protesters. The Black Bloc (ironically almost all white people) is an anarchist hate group. They are coming to Cal on April 27 to riot. The University knows this and needs to prepare to stop the violence and arrest violent law breakers. There are 11 UC police departments. Cancel all leave and bring in police from the 10 other campus departments. The Milo riot was such a success (no arrests, lots of violence, speech canceled) that more violence and more anarchists can be expected on Thursday. But even if the anarchists double their numbers, the UC police can prevent widespread violence and allow the speech to proceed. There should be at least 400 officers ready to do what is necessary. The anarchists will be wearing black and wearing helmets, masks etc. They aren't that hard to spot. Set up a perimeter, check IDs and keep out the would be rioters.
    The problem is that the "protesters" have changed the game and the UC police is slow to respond to the change and their actual response is not good. I get it. For decades the police pretty much just sit there. People start trashing things which is in part to get police to respond. Police response just magnifies the violence many times. So sit back, let them burn themselves out and repair the property damage after.

I get that they weren't prepared to deal with actual physical violence that happened at Milo (best possible world, they would be, but after decades of the same protocol, I get it). However, now they have had time to make a game plan. And that game plan can't be that whenever somebody threatens violence we shut everything down. It can't be that easy for the protesters. Everything will get shut down.

I don't want to see a confrontation between police and protesters any more than they do, but at some point the police need to take a stand. I think they are hoping these groups will move on, but I don't see that happening if they can win this easily. There are more important things than merely preserving peace at all costs. Not asking for excessive force, but they can't be afraid to confront thugs who attempt to get their way through violence.

Can we convince these gangs of New York battles to happen elsewhere?

This really has very little to do with the student body at Cal other than the fact that student groups sometimes set the stage by inviting speakers. The last melee just happened to take place in the city of Berkeley and had nothing to do with the university population but it's all serving to put a black eye on the institution that we all love.

I will also add that there's a reason they no longer show police chases on TV. The amount of coverage of every violent protest encourages the bad actors. I'm not arguing for censorship but I am pointing out that the coverage is what these groups are looking for.

I am posting a link to a letter written by an attorney representing BCR. Obviously, the letter represents their point of view, but it does include some new facts (or if you prefer allegations) that provide context.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3458...een&from_embed

1. Coulter was invited to cambus by BridgeCal which is supposedly a non-partisan group (see article here: http://www.dailycal.org/2017/02/19/b...an-divide-cal/)

2. Coulter's speech was intended as a counterpoint to another speaker invited by BridgeCal - Maria Echaveste. That speach was given at night on April 17.

3. Apparently the student group(s) did timely submit the customary requests for Coulter's speech.

4. Cal is proposing to reschedule Coulter's speech to dead week.

If the letter is even "mostly true," Cal screwed up big time.

Will be interesting to see where this goes because it certainly seems like facts are trickling out both for and against UC. Have to admit I am always disappointed when I see a legal letter riddled with typos and poor drafting like this one.

This is an unaltered quote from the letter:

The University’s transparently insincere offer to permit Ms. Coulter to speak during a two-hour window of time on May 2 when the students who invited here will not be in class and will instead by studying for finals, and when Ms. Coulter will no longer be in the area, is not a suitable alternative (indeed – it does not even pass the proverbial “smell test” of credibility), and we hereby reject it.

Quote Originally Posted by GB54 View Post
    Anarchists are getting a bad name which is regrettable
    I don't even know that they are real anarchists. If they were they'd oppose all forms of hierarchical government, right? Yet they somehow only find their way to protest (violently) against the right. It looks to me like they are really just another left wing group.

Nothing to see here......just another administrative embarrassment on behalf of the University. It's been the same story for the last 10 years, UCPD unable or unwilling to secure the campus. Hold the event in the middle of campus. Set up a perimeter. Do not allow masked individuals within a certain radius of the building. If Cal can secure 6 football games a year with militia grade law enforcement, and crowd control for 50,000+ people, then they can certainly make a stand for a speaker that involves 1/50th that amount of people.

Park a police car on Sproul. Worked for Mario.

Quote Originally Posted by tequila4kapp View Post
    I don't even know that they are real anarchists. If they were they'd oppose all forms of hierarchical government, right? Yet they somehow only find their way to protest (violently) against the right. It looks to me like they are really just another left wing group.
    Yes they would oppose all authority, government and corporate. By this measure, Milo and Coulter are insignificant

How long before someone get seriously hurt or is killed when these groups meet?