Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cal softball blows upset of UCLA, 3-2. (LINK)

Quote Originally Posted by calfan2011 View Post
    She probable already has a new contract that is not online yet, they are always a year or two behind.
    $291K for this kind of result?
    Get the hook!

Quote Originally Posted by 59bear View Post
    The drop in offensive production has been pretty stark. In 3 years, Jackson, the team's best player, has gone .446, .380, .349. In the same period the other primary engines have been: Rood, n/a, .372, .326; Reed, .362, .403, .333; Pettis, .277, .314, .291. In addition to the decline Aldrete has experienced after coming from TN (ditto Taylor Koenig, whose decline was even more spectacular), the others whose early experience exceeded current production: Taylor, Laxamana, Alvarez. PAC12 pitching overall has improved in that period from 4.35 to 3.30 to 2.66 ERA but I don't think that's enough to explain our scoring issues. Not a situation to inspire confidence.
    Really unfortunate. I really like the players and follow the team closely. Not sure how much more I can take it if there isn't a change.

Quote Originally Posted by GATC View Post
    Really unfortunate. I really like the players and follow the team closely. Not sure how much more I can take it if there isn't a change.
    I'd take Sjs's Peter turner as DNs replacement his players all get better each year. You can scout him at mission college this weekend as Sjs plays for the MWC title against Utah st. 'Sjs doesn't even have a home field.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by CalFanatic View Post

I'd take Haley Woods. Two of her junior college hitters just committed to Cal.
    Story on Woods and the 2+ recruits! Even if DN doesn't go please bring in Haley as HITTING coach though I prefer a new HC too!

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/1...thill-college/

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
    Cal softball NEEDS fresh blood to rebuild the program. An epidemic of new coaches are replacing deteriorating major sports in Berkeley: football, men's bball, volleyball, women's water polo, men's golf, etc. Women's bball and softball can barely beat other teams within the Pac 12 Conference. The Bears traditionally over my adult lifetime have been competitive toward the top of the conference. Only recently has performance slipped to the middle of the pack or bottom in many sports. One reason has been the importation of superior coaching into the Conference of Champions. GO BEARS!

Consistent underachievement rarely has to do with a roster. Rather, how you use it.

Year after year, we've recruited highly sought after players successfully. With a few exceptions, we haven't done well translating their skill sets to the PAC.

At the plate, on the field, in the circle, and on the base paths, we are as predictable as they come. Easily prepared for in PAC play and slow on the draw to adapt to our opponent's plan.

Every team in the PAC develops situational hitting, pitching, and even fielding. The game is faster, athletes are better, and scouting is comprehensive.

Too often, we use game 1 to figure out game 2 rather than KNOW what the other team is doing and proactively adjust.

Last, we use our non-conference games to pad the win and stat columns too much.

Most teams use them to expand the roster possibilities, Develop hitters who see less PAC action, make sure the pitching staff is sharp and diverse, and provide a platform for situational substitutions. We use them to qualify for the playoffs.

SR71, as the board keeper of the numbers, are there any comparable conference vs non- conference individual stats we could look at? I'm curious how we really stack up.

🐻
    Last edited by diegobear78; 05-04-2017 at 04:06 PM.

SR71, as the board keeper of the numbers, are there any comparable conference vs non- conference individual stats we could look at? I'm curious how we really stack up.

You shouldn't be curious about any other stat than Pac 12 standings.
    The Bears aren't "stacking up" for a while now.
    Time for a change. No coach with this kind of downward spiral of a program should be retained.
    See Jeff Tedford....

10-0 to ASU so embarrassing. Something's has to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by BearinOC View Post
    10-0 to ASU so embarrassing. Something's has to be done.
    Ninemire and Lohman must be fired. It can't just be Diane because the second worse thing that could happen is Tammy being "promoted". I've been a Cal softball fan for nearly 20 years. The game has evolved and Diane doesn't care to evolve with it because she's getting a fat paycheck. You won't believe some of the stories I've heard from HS and travel ball coaches in the Bay Area. We are 3-15. This needs to end.

Quote Originally Posted by CalFanatic View Post
    Ninemire and Lohman must be fired. It can't just be Diane because the second worse thing that could happen is Tammy being "promoted". I've been a Cal softball fan for nearly 20 years. The game has evolved and Diane doesn't care to evolve with it because she's getting a fat paycheck. You won't believe some of the stories I've heard from HS and travel ball coaches in the Bay Area. We are 3-15. This needs to end.
    Is Williams paying attention to all of this? If not, how do we get his attention? Coach Ninemire needs to be encouraged to step away with dignity given her record and contribution here. But a change is definitely needed.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCALBear72 View Post
    Is Williams paying attention to all of this? If not, how do we get his attention? Coach Ninemire needs to be encouraged to step away with dignity given her record and contribution here. But a change is definitely needed.
    I agree that a change is needed. Without knowing the length of her contract, the only thing Williams can do is to convince coach DN to step away because no way would he terminate the contract for a non-revenue sport and be on the hook for another 4 years, assuming it was renewed for another 5 years. The minimum though get rid of Tammy because our hitting is laughable.

Nice game today in the finale as Zoe was sharp, the fielding crisp and we even had a big HR in a 3-0 win. It will be interesting to see how Taylor Cotton does against her former team next week. She seems finally to have found a groove and has pitched really well the last few outings.
    Access is better than ownership!

Quote Originally Posted by 59bear View Post
    Nice game today in the finale as Zoe was sharp, the fielding crisp and we even had a big HR in a 3-0 win. It will be interesting to see how Taylor Cotton does against her former team next week. She seems finally to have found a groove and has pitched really well the last few outings.
    Pretty amazed we won with 3 hits but hey, I will take it! Ninemire still needs to go.

Oregon State faces Cal in Berkeley to complete the conference campaign. Entering Pac 9 play, I handicapped that the Bears would sweep the Beavers. OSU has 8 conference victories as compared to Cal's 4. They have won six games other than Stanford while we have managed one. I firmly believe whichever team captures the final series will receive the final Pac12 NCAA berth. Cal is 28-21 and Oregon State is 27-23. I think that either team needs 30 Ws for NCAA selection...

I stopped coming here because I got attacked by a virus 3 out of the last 4 times that I visited. One of those occurances was yesterday. What's up with the website?

GO BEARS!
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 05-07-2017 at 11:23 PM.

I only got attacked on my iPhone not my laptop, I'm sure it's a redirected and not a virus. Malware. But the administrator needs to take action.

Talked with a Pleasanton softball program coach last week. I asked him "How does Pleasanton get its two high school girls softball teams---Foothill and Amador Valley--- rated number 1 and 2 in the whole Bay Area?" He replied, as some on this board would know, "PITCHING"! Their top pitchers go to USC and elsewhere. Why not hire one of their pitching coaches along with a the search for a hitting coach?