Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaylen Brown looks horrible playing for Boston.

True Blue Golden Bear MinotStateBeav's Avatar

Jaylen Brown looks horrible playing for Boston.

Every time I watch him play with Boston..he's basically relegated to being a Steve Kerr in this offense. Stand at the 3...wait for pass...run back on defense...rinse and repeat. I'm not sure if Boston knew what they were drafting... He looks pretty disinterested out there tbh.

Are you kidding me? He's a rookie on the East's #1 seed. You expect him to come in and be a primary offensive option from day 1?

He actually has very similar numbers to Kobe's rookie season, both in terms of volume (minutes, points) and scoring breakdown (2P vs 3P vs FT). I'm not sure if LA knew what they were doing when they traded for him on draft day...

Now I'm not saying Jaylen will become one of the top 5 players of all time (very unlikely for any player). My point is not even Kobe can come in on day one to a contender and make an immediate impact at 18-20 years old as a wing player.

Jaylen:
    17.2 MPG, 6.6 PPG (1.9 2P, 0.6 3P, 1.1 FT makes per game), 2.8RPG, 0.8 APG, 0.9 TOV
    102 ORtg per 100 Pos
    110 DRtg per 100 Pos

Kobe (rookie year):
    15.5 MPG, 7.6 PPG (1.8 2P, 0.7 3P, 1.9 FT makes per game), 1.9RPG, 1.3 APG, 1.6 TOV
    101 ORtg per 100 Pos
    105 DRtg per 100 Pos

You must watch him very infrequently. His PT has dropped during the playoffs but in game 2 of this series he had a few nice OMG moments. Oh, and I don't know if you watched him in college, but he "looked" pretty disinterested there as well. That's just how he looks.
    go bears

Jaylen ended his Cal career on a big down note. In the Pac 12 tournament against Utah, he completely disappeared, Wallace carried the team. I was there, In the NCAA first round game he disappeared again. He still has the same weaknesses that he did at Cal. Like most draftees his #3 position was based partly on his HS career. He ain't no Kobe Bryant and I don't even like Kobe.

They're high on him in Boston. He's shown a nice growth curve.

True Blue Golden Bear MinotStateBeav's Avatar
    I'm not talking about how well he's played this year, that was always expected to be a growth year.I'm talking about how Boston uses him. He is not a stand and shoot kind of player. Get him on the move going to the basket was always his strength. He was a so-so shooter..but nobody would call that his strength.
    Last edited by MinotStateBeav; 05-04-2017 at 10:40 PM.

As I recall Kobe's winding-up a Laker, Jerry West was the architect of that move after he scouted Bryant.

Kobes not top 5. Debatable if he's even top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    You must watch him very infrequently. His PT has dropped during the playoffs but in game 2 of this series he had a few nice OMG moments. Oh, and I don't know if you watched him in college, but he "looked" pretty disinterested there as well. That's just how he looks.
    Agree with game 2. In fact he was the reason the Celtics took control down the stretch.

Real Bear
    East of Tomales Bay; west of Eagle Lake; south of Sauvie Island; north of Pismo Beach
    He played a great game at both ends on TU when G Thomas went for 53.

Quote Originally Posted by tim94501 View Post
    Kobes not top 5. Debatable if he's even top 10.
    I am not a Kobe lover, but certainly he is one of the great talents of his era.

If Jaylen has an NBA career anywhere comparable to Kobe's, I would say that would be a remarkable achievement.

Leaving aside the Kobe comparison, which isn't particularly useful at this point, you don't seem to have been watching him in the NBA much. He's a work in progress but he's played well for the Celtics and improved a lot. His shooting percentage is 24 points higher despite the better competition, his three point shooting percentage is 45 points higher despite the longer distance, his free throw shooting percentage is 31 points higher than in college, and he has gotten a lot of tough defensive assignments. Boston has a very good coaching staff and they like him. He's doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by caltagjohnson View Post
    Jaylen ended his Cal career on a big down note. In the Pac 12 tournament against Utah, he completely disappeared, Wallace carried the team. I was there, In the NCAA first round game he disappeared again. He still has the same weaknesses that he did at Cal. Like most draftees his #3 position was based partly on his HS career. He ain't no Kobe Bryant and I don't even like Kobe.

Quote Originally Posted by MinotStateBeav View Post
    I'm not talking about how well he's played this year, that was always expected to be a growth year.I'm talking about how Boston uses him. He is not a stand and shoot kind of player. Get him on the move going to the basket was always his strength. He was a so-so shooter..but nobody would call that his strength.
    Are you telling me that Brad Stevens doesn't know how to use Brown as well as you do??

As a rookie on a very talented team, Brown is understandably not the focus of their offense.

His ability to earn playing time especially in the playoffs hinges on his ability to play a role in their offense that has other players like Thomas as the focal points.

They want him to play good defense, be a rebounding plus, and be credible enough as a 3 point shooter to draw his man to him thereby spacing the floor for Thomas. He's doing the job well enough which is why he is getting minutes.

The coach on a leading playoff team should not thinking how do I use Brown for what he is best at. He is thinking, can Brown do this job that I need done.
    Last edited by evanluck; 05-05-2017 at 12:29 PM.