Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Jaylen Brown looks horrible playing for Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    That is not the story Calipari tells. He says he wanted to draft Kobe, but Arn Tellem and Kobe threatened not to sign, and Calipari was told by the owner not to risk it, so they took Kittles. This is a much more likely scenario than West "talking him out" of taking Kobe. Calipari is not dumb, and West is not a Jedi.
    If the NBA has a jedi, it is Jerry West

I don't follow much pros but randomly caught JB on a draft show this morning. They asked him for his advice to players looking to leave early and JB commented that they should turn pro because they're not going to develop anymore in college. I was also waiting for him to put in a plug for Rabb but didn't happen.

Real Bear
    Well that is a potent comment on previous coaching tenure...

Quote Originally Posted by parentswerebears View Post
    Perhaps. It's also a comment on college basketball vs the pros. College basketball has a limit on the number of hours players can be with coaches on the court, and also saps a lot of time with classes (especially for a reportedly serious student like Jaylen). In the pros, there are no such limitations and a player is free to work on his game, with coaches, as much as he wishes. Plus, you get paid. Staying in college is, in my opinion, never a good decision for a player who would be drafted.

Perhaps. It's also a comment on college basketball vs the pros. College basketball has a limit on the number of hours players can be with coaches on the court, and also saps a lot of time with classes (especially for a reportedly serious student like Jaylen). In the pros, there are no such limitations and a player is free to work on his game, with coaches, as much as he wishes. Plus, you get paid. Staying in college is, in my opinion, never a good decision for a player who would be drafted.
    What percentage of "drafted" players make a living as professional basketball players (D league is not a living)?

+1

Quote Originally Posted by parentswerebears View Post
    Not really. The best developmental coaches are in the pros. There was an idea say twenty or thirty years ago that players needed to develop in college, and it was probably true at the time. But now every team knows it has to invest in developing players since they come in the league so raw. One thing Cal can sell is that Theo Robertson did developmental work with the Lakers, in addition to having the sweetest shot I have ever seen.

Sluggo

I think Boston still has Jaylen in their plans even if they draft Jackson, going back to the previous page in this thread. I'd try to get rid of Bradley, Crowder, and if the deal was right IT. If you're going to eventually try to compete with the Warriors or Cavs you need athletic wings to defend Lebron and KD. Bradley is a good player but too small. Crowder is too slow and has pretty much maximized his ability out of what he has. I think you can win with IT but I think its bad to pair him with Bradley who is also undersized.

Quote Originally Posted by bearchamp View Post
    What percentage of "drafted" players make a living as professional basketball players (D league is not a living)?
    I don't know. Do you? Are you contending a player has a higher chance of making a living as a professional basketball player the longer he stays in college? I don't believe that is the case, while also acknowledging the causation there is that the best players leave early.

Are you instead contending that players that stay longer have a better chance of earning a living outside of basketball because they get a degree than players who leave earlier? Players can always go back and get a degree. Damian Jones was the last pick in the first round last year after leaving following his junior year at Vanderbilt. He has a 2-year guarantee of nearly 2.5M total. He has team options for another nearly $3.6M over the following two years. Even if he gets cut today, that's $2.5M guaranteed to start himself off in life. Not bad at age 21.

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo_Cal View Post
    Not really. The best developmental coaches are in the pros. There was an idea say twenty or thirty years ago that players needed to develop in college, and it was probably true at the time. But now every team knows it has to invest in developing players since they come in the league so raw. One thing Cal can sell is that Theo Robertson did developmental work with the Lakers, in addition to having the sweetest shot I have ever seen.

Sluggo
    This is very true. Plus, most college coaches are hired/promoted mainly due to their recruiting skills. There are far fewer X's and O's guys relative to the pros now.

Quote Originally Posted by gobears725 View Post
    I think Boston still has Jaylen in their plans even if they draft Jackson, going back to the previous page in this thread. I'd try to get rid of Bradley, Crowder, and if the deal was right IT. If you're going to eventually try to compete with the Warriors or Cavs you need athletic wings to defend Lebron and KD. Bradley is a good player but too small. Crowder is too slow and has pretty much maximized his ability out of what he has. I think you can win with IT but I think its bad to pair him with Bradley who is also undersized.
    I think you underrate Bradley. Great defender and still improving offensively, where he already is no slouch. He does not have to guard KD or James. Jaylen or another bigger guy should have that job.

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    I think you underrate Bradley. Great defender and still improving offensively, where he already is no slouch. He does not have to guard KD or James. Jaylen or another bigger guy should have that job.
    He's a good player, but you need length to play championship level defense as far as being able to play team defense but I'd trade him because he is a good player and you can get something fairly good back for him, maybe find a center.

While every team is not the dubs, the only short guys they have are Curry whose offense justifies it and Clark whom they use in a role where they surround him with 4 good, lengthy defenders.

I think you can have either one or the other in Bradley or IT, but I think they got to trade one of them. While Bradley is a good defender, against a team like the dubs, they'll just shoot over that tandem all day. for instance I think he'd be really good if he played alongside a taller, lengthy point guard like say Lonzo Ball. I just dont think you can have two short guards and be able to compete with the top teams.
    Last edited by gobears725; 06-20-2017 at 04:54 PM.

He's a good player, but you need length to play championship level defense as far as being able to play team defense but I'd trade him because he is a good player and you can get something fairly good back for him, maybe find a center.

While every team is not the dubs, the only short guys they have are Curry whose offense justifies it and Clark whom they use in a role where they surround him with 4 good, lengthy defenders.

I think you can have either one or the other in Bradley or IT, but I think they got to trade one of them. While Bradley is a good defender, against a team like the dubs, they'll just shoot over that tandem all day. for instance I think he'd be really good if he played alongside a taller, lengthy point guard like say Lonzo Ball. I just dont think you can have two short guards and be able to compete with the top teams.
    Bradley was first team defense in the NBA just last year (2016), and he did not just suddenly lose it. It is not so easy just to shoot over him. Because of his quickness and tenacity, he can play most guards really tight, denying them the comfort room they need to shoot. Certainly Curry will not so easily shoot over Bradley.

I am not unsympathetic on your general theme about the advantage of height. However, I think your using Bradley as an example is stretching it, and not recognizing him for the great defender that he is.

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    Bradley was first team defense in the NBA just last year (2016), and he did not just suddenly lose it. It is not so easy just to shoot over him. Because of his quickness and tenacity, he can play most guards really tight, denying them the comfort room they need to shoot. Certainly Curry will not so easily shoot over Bradley.

I am not unsympathetic on your general theme about the advantage of height. However, I think your using Bradley as an example is stretching it, and not recognizing him for the great defender that he is.
    He is a great defender against about 26 or 27 teams(that's why you'll get good trade value for him), but him and IT are still an awful matchup against the Dubs and Kyrie still went off on the C's in the playoffs.

If it were me, I'd package something around Bradley or IT to get someone like Porzingis or Deandre Jordan. The reason why I would pick Bradley is that IT's scoring is not replaceable at least by no one on the roster. I think Bradley's defense is more replaceable.

A team with this type of roster could I think challenge in a couple years.

PG: IT, Smart
    SG: Jaylen or Josh Jackson
    SF: Crowder
    PF: Horford
    C: Porzingis or Jordan, Olynyk
    Bench: Jaylen or Jackson, Smart, Olynyk

the defense with this type of unit:

IT
    Jaylen
    Jackson
    Horford
    Jordan

To me thats a unit that can really has the talent to defend and could cause problems for the top teams.
    Last edited by gobears725; 06-20-2017 at 06:29 PM.

He is a great defender against about 26 or 27 teams(that's why you'll get good trade value for him), but him and IT are still an awful matchup against the Dubs and Kyrie still went off on the C's in the playoffs.

If it were me, I'd package something around Bradley or IT to get someone like Porzingis or Deandre Jordan. The reason why I would pick Bradley is that IT's scoring is not replaceable at least by no one on the roster. I think Bradley's defense is more replaceable.

A team with this type of roster could I think challenge in a couple years.

PG: IT, Smart
    SG: Jaylen or Josh Jackson
    SF: Crowder
    PF: Horford
    C: Porzingis or Jordan, Olynyk
    Bench: Jaylen or Jackson, Smart, Olynyk

the defense with this type of unit:

IT
    Jaylen
    Jackson
    Horford
    Jordan

To me thats a unit that can really has the talent to defend and could cause problems for the top teams.
    A couple thoughts: Crowder (27) and Horford (29) are at the tail end of their meaningful contributions to a team with championship aspirations. I don't think Josh Jackson is much of a 2. And no package around IT or Bradley is getting Porzingis, unless it also includes multiple first round picks (which the Celtics have, but I'm not sure I'd deal for Porzingis, who I remain unsold on as a superstar).