Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jaylen Brown looks horrible playing for Boston.

True Blue Golden Bear MinotStateBeav's Avatar
    Ok first time back on the site, since "Malware Gate" happened. I typically don't change titles of my threads to fit a new perspective. When I made this thread..he looked horrible. I'm not going to change what I thought then to fit now. Before Jaylen was essentially camping in the corners on offense. It's his least effective way of playing. You can argue..I don't care. That's my opinion. The last few games he's looked much much better and I acknowledged that. Sorry you don't like the thread title. My next thread I make will be named "Bunnies, Rainbows and Chocolates..it's all perfect" as to not trigger anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MinotStateBeav View Post
    Ok first time back on the site, since "Malware Gate" happened. I typically don't change titles of my threads to fit a new perspective. When I made this thread..he looked horrible. I'm not going to change what I thought then to fit now. Before Jaylen was essentially camping in the corners on offense. It's his least effective way of playing. You can argue..I don't care. That's my opinion. The last few games he's looked much much better and I acknowledged that. Sorry you don't like the thread title. My next thread I make will be named "Bunnies, Rainbows and Chocolates..it's all perfect" as to not trigger anyone.
    Obviously Brown read this and was motivated to prove you wrong.

I am willing to bet that Jaylen's camping in the corners on offense was Stevens' idea. I am not disputing your assessment that it is Jaylen's least effective way of playing. I am just saying it is no fault of Jaylen's that he was camped in the corner. It will be interesting to see if Stevens will have Jaylen more involved in the offense in tonight's game.

Not just last game, but during the season Jaylen had some nice plays when he is one on one with James.

My take on Jaylen is that he has surpassed what I expected of him in his first year in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    I am willing to bet that Jaylen's camping in the corners on offense was Stevens' idea. I am not disputing your assessment that it is Jaylen's least effective way of playing. I am just saying it is no fault of Jaylen's that he was camped in the corner. It will be interesting to see if Stevens will have Jaylen more involved in the offense in tonight's game.

Not just last game, but during the season Jaylen had some nice plays when he is one on one with James.

My take on Jaylen is that he has surpassed what I expected of him in his first year in the NBA.
    He sure has. I think this just highlights what a terrible offensive coach we had in Martin. He totally mis-used Jaylen's talent. And for similar reasons, I believe that Ivan Rabb is being under-valued by some with respect to his draft prospects.

Tonight Boston has thrown in the towel. The only guy who wants to play is Jaylen

Good for you for sticking with your guns

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    I am willing to bet that Jaylen's camping in the corners on offense was Stevens' idea.
    What an incredible observation

should probably be playing 30+ minutes a game this series. no one else on his team wants to play.

Quote Originally Posted by gobears725 View Post
    should probably be playing 30+ minutes a game this series. no one else on his team wants to play.
    Am always puzzled with such observations, as though a television viewer who does not know the players he is watching can peer into their souls...

Quote Originally Posted by Bearprof View Post
    He sure has. I think this just highlights what a terrible offensive coach we had in Martin. He totally mis-used Jaylen's talent. And for similar reasons, I believe that Ivan Rabb is being under-valued by some with respect to his draft prospects.
    As I recall from 2 seasons ago, both Jaylen and Ty had tendencies to put their heads down and drive hard to the hoop regardless of how many opponents were in the way. My impression is that this was what Cuonzo wanted. If not, then he should have exercised his power as the coach to change those tendencies. Also agree with Cuonzo's use of Rabb.

Loyal Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by roqmoq View Post
    As I recall from 2 seasons ago, both Jaylen and Ty had tendencies to put their heads down and drive hard to the hoop regardless of how many opponents were in the way. My impression is that this was what Cuonzo wanted. If not, then he should have exercised his power as the coach to change those tendencies. Also agree with Cuonzo's use of Rabb.
    +1. My impression as well.

Quote Originally Posted by roqmoq View Post
    Wait, you're saying that this was the right way to run an offense? I agree that Cuonzo more or less encouraged this offensive approach, so I am not criticizing the players. I think both Jaylen and Ivan would have been more successful under a better system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearprof View Post
    Wait, you're saying that this was the right way to run an offense? I agree that Cuonzo more or less encouraged this offensive approach, so I am not criticizing the players. I think both Jaylen and Ivan would have been more successful under a better system.
    Can you imagine what Monty would have done with that team?
    Monty was a Master and getting the ball to the best players in a way they could do what they do best. That's how he coached 3 different Cal players to Pac12 MVP. Just think about that for a moment.
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    Can you imagine what Monty would have done with that team?
    Monty was a Master and getting the ball to the best players in a way they could do what they do best. That's how he coached 3 different Cal players to Pac12 MVP. Just think about that for a moment.
    That was never our complaint with Monty. He would have never gotten Ivan and Jaylen in the first place.