Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jaylen Brown looks horrible playing for Boston.

I thought he's been doing fairly well this year. That said, Stevens is probably a little overrated as a coach. His offense tends to stagnate it seems and they rely on thomas to go one on one probably a little too often. So its really not just Jaylen, but that's what you get when you run P&R/Iso sets. The other guys are there mostly for spacing.
    Last edited by gobears725; 05-05-2017 at 10:33 AM.

True Blue Golden Bear LethalFang's Avatar
    Oh, Jerry West knew what he was getting. I remember an interview with the former University of Kentucky coach (forgot who) about a conversation he had with Jerry West when the UK coach was trying to recruit Kobe. When the UK coach said he didn't know if Kobe was ready to play for UK, Jerry West said, "not only is he ready, he will be one of the greatest players ever play in the NBA."

Quote Originally Posted by reddmannbutt View Post
    Are you kidding me? He's a rookie on the East's #1 seed. You expect him to come in and be a primary offensive option from day 1?

He actually has very similar numbers to Kobe's rookie season, both in terms of volume (minutes, points) and scoring breakdown (2P vs 3P vs FT). I'm not sure if LA knew what they were doing when they traded for him on draft day...

Now I'm not saying Jaylen will become one of the top 5 players of all time (very unlikely for any player). My point is not even Kobe can come in on day one to a contender and make an immediate impact at 18-20 years old as a wing player.

Jaylen:
    17.2 MPG, 6.6 PPG (1.9 2P, 0.6 3P, 1.1 FT makes per game), 2.8RPG, 0.8 APG, 0.9 TOV
    102 ORtg per 100 Pos
    110 DRtg per 100 Pos

Kobe (rookie year):
    15.5 MPG, 7.6 PPG (1.8 2P, 0.7 3P, 1.9 FT makes per game), 1.9RPG, 1.3 APG, 1.6 TOV
    101 ORtg per 100 Pos
    105 DRtg per 100 Pos

Quote Originally Posted by tim94501 View Post
    Kobes not top 5. Debatable if he's even top 10.
    One mans opinion.

I have a hard time thinking he's overrated when he took that team to a 1 seed in a year when the hope was to make the playoffs while getting some guys experience and then taking advantage of all the high draft picks and assets they have to build a contender starting next year. They are way ahead of schedule and Stevens is one reason why. When you look at their team, what offense do you think would be more successful?

Quote Originally Posted by gobears725 View Post
    I thought he's been doing fairly well this year. That said, Stevens is probably a little overrated as a coach. His offense tends to stagnate it seems and they rely on thomas to go one on one probably a little too often. So its really not just Jaylen, but that's what you get when you run P&R/Iso sets. The other guys are there mostly for spacing.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bear6 View Post
    One mans opinion.
    Nah, Jordan, KAJ, Magic, Bird and Lebron are and were better. Kobe's fighting with Wilt, Russell, Oscar, Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan, etc

Quote Originally Posted by bluesaxe View Post
    I have a hard time thinking he's overrated when he took that team to a 1 seed in a year when the hope was to make the playoffs while getting some guys experience and then taking advantage of all the high draft picks and assets they have to build a contender starting next year. They are way ahead of schedule and Stevens is one reason why. When you look at their team, what offense do you think would be more successful?
    +1

I looked at Celtics-Wizard's box score from last night.

Please note this was a crucial game for Boston. A loss would probably have meant a loss of the series, down 2-3, going back to Washington, where they have been badly beaten twice.

Jaylen was first guy off the bench, played 26 minutes. He had second best +/- on the team, even though he did not score.

I would conclude from this that Jaylen is making substantial progress in many facets of his game. No way he plays that many minutes without substantially contributing to the team's success.

This progress by Jaylen is a good example of the benefit for the super talented to be one and done in college. There is much more opportunity to learn, to improve in the NBA, even with limited minutes off the bench, rather than be burdened with the time demands of the class room and the inferior competition in college.

I watched most of that game. Jaylen did hang around in the corners a lot, and was mostly ignored by his teammates as a scoring threat. I did see him play some nice defense. And he made one great hustle play, grabbing a loose ball as it was going out of bounds on the defensive end, and, in mid air, turning and heaving it forward to Bradley for an easy dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    I looked at Celtics-Wizard's box score from last night.

Please note this was a crucial game for Boston. A loss would probably have meant a loss of the series, down 2-3, going back to Washington, where they have been badly beaten twice.

Jaylen was first guy off the bench, played 26 minutes. He had second best +/- on the team, even though he did not score.

I would conclude from this that Jaylen is making substantial progress in many facets of his game. No way he plays that many minutes without substantially contributing to the team's success.

This progress by Jaylen is a good example of the benefit for the super talented to be one and done in college. There is much more opportunity to learn, to improve in the NBA, even with limited minutes off the bench, rather than be burdened with the time demands of the class room and the inferior competition in college.

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    Agree - some guys don't have the strength/durability to hang in the NBA until they hit 20+ years old, but if you have it before then, extending your college stay doesn't seem to make sense.

Jaylen represents the new NBA
    Athletes that slash, shoot from 3, defend multiple positions
    Position-less basketball
    Once Jaylen improves his shot, he will be the prototype for the new NBA player
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Quote Originally Posted by LethalFang View Post
    Oh, Jerry West knew what he was getting. I remember an interview with the former University of Kentucky coach (forgot who) about a conversation he had with Jerry West when the UK coach was trying to recruit Kobe. When the UK coach said he didn't know if Kobe was ready to play for UK, Jerry West said, "not only is he ready, he will be one of the greatest players ever play in the NBA."
    Jerry West also famously talked John Calipari, then coach/gm of the nets, out of drafting Kobe. They ended up going w/ Kerry Kittles, and Kobe went #13 to the Hornets and was dealt to the Lakers in a trade involving Vlade Divac.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    Jaylen represents the new NBA
    Athletes that slash, shoot from 3, defend multiple positions
    Position-less basketball
    Once Jaylen improves his shot, he will be the prototype for the new NBA player
    Apparently the improvement is under way. I think it was bluesaxe who cited statistics on this in an earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by rathokan View Post
    Jerry West also famously talked John Calipari, then coach/gm of the nets, out of drafting Kobe. They ended up going w/ Kerry Kittles, and Kobe went #13 to the Hornets and was dealt to the Lakers in a trade involving Vlade Divac.
    That is not the story Calipari tells. He says he wanted to draft Kobe, but Arn Tellem and Kobe threatened not to sign, and Calipari was told by the owner not to risk it, so they took Kittles. This is a much more likely scenario than West "talking him out" of taking Kobe. Calipari is not dumb, and West is not a Jedi.

True Blue Golden Bear MinotStateBeav's Avatar
    JB came to play game 7. Making actual plays..dunking, defense, knocked down a 3..changed the game for the celts so far. Getting a lot of minutes.

He showed great athleticism tonight, especially on that rebounding from the floor play. Someone should make a .gif and make it back-and-forth.