Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Paris Austin Transferring

Since he got a release, can he play right away?
    Go Bears

Quote Originally Posted by seattlebear02 View Post
    Paris Austin to Cal! #BOOM

Twitter link
    Interesting. Not a big surprise. What does his mean for the recruitments of Hardy and Akinjo?

Real Bear
    I would think that it would not affect those recruitments. They may not start as freshmen, but they would have their chance as sophomores or juniors.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bear View Post
    Since he got a release, can he play right away?
    Go Bears
    No, he'll have to sit out this season.

Cal will take a PG this class, too, for sure. Akinjo's in a lot better spot than Hardy with Cal.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Welcome Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Interesting. Not a big surprise. What does his mean for the recruitments of Hardy and Akinjo?
    Just my opinion, but I believe Akinjo may be the favored 2018 PG recruit. Austin is a nice player. Moore was a superior talent. But he is experienced and should help.

Quote Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
    Just my opinion, but I believe Akinjo may be the favored 2018 PG recruit. Austin is a nice player. Moore was a superior talent. But he is experienced and should help.
    I personally think Hardy has the highest upside of the 3, but I do understand why they took Austin. Hopefully he can use this sit-out year to round out his game.

I personally think Hardy has the highest upside of the 3, but I do understand why they took Austin. Hopefully he can use this sit-out year to round out his game.
    Yes, I think Austin is capable of stepping in as the starting pg if he keeps working on his game. He might also be able to play some at the sg too.

I may agree with you about upside. But Cal favoring Akinjo is not necessarily about upside. Lots of factors involved in recruiting at Cal. Academics, fit, relationships with staff not to mention other programs and how they are recruiting a player. With Martin and Webster now gone some recruits may be less inclined to strongly consider the Bears.

Quote Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
    I may agree with you about upside. But Cal favoring Akinjo is not necessarily about upside. Lots of factors involved in recruiting at Cal. Academics, fit, relationships with staff not to mention other programs and how they are recruiting a player. With Martin and Webster now gone some recruits may be less inclined to strongly consider the Bears.
    It's interesting to watch. Austin and Hardy are both from BOD; Akinjo from Salesian. Cal has connections with both programs. Hardy and Jordan Brown are on the adidas circuit with Team Arsenal. Akinjo is in the Nike EYBL with the Soldiers. Theo is a former Soldier. Lots of dots to connect.

It's interesting to watch. Austin and Hardy are both from BOD; Akinjo from Salesian. Cal has connections with both programs. Hardy and Jordan Brown are on the adidas circuit with Team Arsenal. Akinjo is in the Nike EYBL with the Soldiers. Theo is a former Soldier. Lots of dots to connect.
    What's your view on how our PG recruiting can most positively impact our chances with Brown? Take Hardy?

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    What's your view on how our PG recruiting can most positively impact our chances with Brown? Take Hardy?
    I really don't think it matters which pg we get, as long as we get one. Getting a couple of good outside shooters and another big should give Brown enough support to be successful. We know what happens when there is not enough offensive support with Rabb. Triple teaming. We need shooters, dangerous shooters that you can't leave open.

Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I don't think Brown will base his decision on where another player goes. I think a bigger factor will be their comfort level with Wyking as the head coach.

Yeah, Brown will make his own decision. Where friends and teammates go is at best a peripheral issue for him, IMO.

I do still like Cal's chances with Brown. The relationship is still really strong.