Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 & 2019 Updates?

2018 & 2019 Updates?

I'm gonna focus on 2018, but have seen interesting things about 2019.

Committed 2/3 6'0" Forbes still getting great reviews and ratings. #32 on Hoopgurlz per latest update.

With developments like Slocum to Oregon State, Aquira DeCosta seems like a player we really need in this improving conference, not just a superstar we're dreaming about. She inched up to #5 on Hoopgurlz.

Coincidentally, a YouTube released today has her talking about recruiting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETgr_WuhSeM

The Arizona pair moved up a bit on Hoopgurlz, Bickle to #29 and Chavez #37.

There have been mixed reviews on 6'1" Bickle here. Haven't read much about Chavez but saw some social media video of her and she impressed. I sensed a silent assassin attitude–she meant business! It was a small glimpse, but reminded me of a mini-Ionescu (Chavez being 5'8"), especially in how she attacked the rim because she's also not overwhelmingly athletic.

Per twitter, it seems LG is looking at a 6'3" athlete Onome Akinbode-James at Blair in NJ, where the departed Bre Cavanaugh went.

6'5" Semaj Smith of Cal Sparks debuted at #48 and 6'1" wing from Nevada but with Cal Swish Rae Burrell debuted at #49 on the Hoopgurlz 2018 update.

There are two intriguing 2018 posts from SoCal that I haven't seen much about, Patricia Morris of the Duarte High School standing 6'7" (!) and Becky Obinma at 6'3" who ran a wind-aided 11.75 (!) and wind-legal 11.95 (still!) in the 100 meter dash last year. Obinma currently plays for Kiana Smith's old AAU team, WCP.

However, it seems 2019 and 2020 are pretty loaded classes, including post players, and including ones from NorCal. So we'll see where LG focuses her recruiting.

The one tidbit I'll mention about 2019 (b/c I've read so many intriguing names and developments!), is that Mitty's Haley Jones shot up to #6 on Hoopgurlz. She's with elite company as the top three are Samantha Brunelle, the dunking Canadian Laeticia Amihere, and the very early Louisville commit who has flirted (or even held) the #1 ranking at times, Nyah Green from Texas.

I've heard DeCosta is playing even better this year, and is one of the dominant players in the EYBL (the Nike league that has almost all of the top players). She and McKenzie Forbes are playing with the Cal Stars, as is Haley Jones.

A sleeper is Haley Van Dyke of Cal Stars/Campolindo, who's really making strides. She was on the bench for a SoCal team last summer and didn't get much playing time.

Becky Obinma showed well in the state title game as an athletic shotblocker, but didn't appear to be very skilled offensively.

Bickle and Chavez don't seem to be difference-makers to me.
    Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā

Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
    I've heard DeCosta is playing even better this year, and is one of the dominant players in the EYBL (the Nike league that has almost all of the top players). She and McKenzie Forbes are playing with the Cal Stars, as is Haley Jones.

A sleeper is Haley Van Dyke of Cal Stars/Campolindo, who's really making strides. She was on the bench for a SoCal team last summer and didn't get much playing time.

Becky Obinma showed well in the state title game as an athletic shotblocker, but didn't appear to be very skilled offensively.

Bickle and Chavez don't seem to be difference-makers to me.
    Thanks, Clay.

You can see from the YouTube link I posted with Aquira that Ariel Young is not getting recruited by Cal. I know Kiara Jefferson has an offer. But how would you compare Mitty's Karisma Ortiz to Chavez and Bickle? I'm unsure if LG is looking at her but some are pretty high on her.

RyAnne Walters of Sacramento HS seems to be the NorCal PG with a lot of buzz for the 2019 class. Seems like she's got a little Brittany Boyd in her but may be a more capable outside shooter. She's actually playing for SoCal based Cal Sparks I believe this summer?

In respect to Aquira's improved play the injury she had the operation for had been bothering her for some time and obviously had affected her play.

I posted this general idea on another message board when my statistics-based comments were questioned by someone who legitimately asked if I saw players or just used numbers to evaluate. Part of my response is that unless you see a player many, many times, it's very hard to judge them.

Karisma Ortiz is an example, as though I've seen her play close to 10 times, she has never dominated a game that I've seen, nor even been the best player on the floor. That said, a lot of people believe she's very, very good and I would defer to them for any kind of definitive analysis.

Now, that said, I like her better than both Bickle and Chavez, though again my perception of Bickle is colored by the fact that we played her team and beat them -- and we guarded her with a girl who is unlikely to play college basketball at any level, much less the Pac-12. But that might have been a fluke, or the coach adjusted in ways we didn't expect, or whatever. A lot of people like Bickle (though not as much as Ortiz) so I shouldn't base too much on the two games I watched her play.

I just saw Chavez' team briefly and didn't even know who she was, which didn't impress me. Generally, a Power 5 player should be obvious immediately.

And, as usual, I could be wrong. I've been wrong many times before ...

I think you are going to see a lot more from karisma ortiz this year.. and many, including LG, will be hitting themselves for not going after her.. just my opinion... also heard tara was watching her play at chabot over the april viewing period when everyone else was at boo williams

Everyone is after Ortiz, no question. She's a high level recruit ...

I may see her at USA Basketball next week, but I don't know if she's going to the tryouts.

Kat- I just watched the PTB footage you linked us to. If Arie's list stays the same (no more offers end of AAU season) I think UCLA or OSU are the front runners but something has me leaning towards LMU. Smart kid, good grades too.
    RW just needs to work on consistency in her shooting but that will come with time. I think Cal Sparks EYBL team (SoCal) is going to help elevate her game and grow even more.
    Last edited by 85 Fly; 05-15-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
    Everyone is after Ortiz, no question. She's a high level recruit ...

I may see her at USA Basketball next week, but I don't know if she's going to the tryouts.
    But shes "not elite" right clay?? Werent those your words??

I agree that Karisma Ortiz (6-0 PG) has not been a dominant offensive player at Mitty so far. She looks to pass first before looking for her shot. However, four DI seniors graduated from the Monarch's nine player rotation including Maddy Holland, Tahlia Garza, Heleyna Hill & Daniella Guglielmo. I would imagine that the starting five would be junior PF Haley Jones, senior C Nicole Blakes, senior PG Karisma Ortiz, senior SG Krissy Miyahara & junior Ania McNichols. I anticipate that many more shots will be available for Ortiz & Jones next season...Karisma should be the #2 scorer behind Haley, IMO. Ortiz gets her long arms on many passes and she can make half-court passes appear routine. I would imagine that she would be a complementary player on a DI team. GO BEARS!
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 05-15-2017 at 04:54 PM.

I don't know when I said Ortiz is not elite, but I would not say that now. As mentioned, relying on just the games you happen to see for evaluation can be tricky ...

I checked and you're right clay, I guess it was actually schroeder that said it.. but you went on to say she wasn't a "true point guard" and better cast as a complimentary ball handler against elite competition..

I believe that I stated that Mitty's potential weakness was that they did not have a true PG. Salesian upset the Monarchs in 2016 and Clovis West defeated AM in 2017 due to superior guard play...I never stated
    that Karisma was elite or not elite (I think). Please provide my quote if you found one.

I wasn't trying to get into a he said/he said.. more just lightheartedly poking at clay.. As I said in that same past thread, I am biased (monarch homer for sure) so clearly I think very highly of Karisma...

But since you asked you said the mitty did not have an elite ballhandler, which implied that karisma was not elite.. thats all.. again, this wasn't where this thread is supposed to be headed lol

Thank you. I think that Karisma has a chance to jump in the recruit rankings as a senior because she'll have to step-up. NorCalPreps has Ortiz ranked as a four star. Go Monarchs! GO BEARS!