Thread: Alexei Sancov

Alexei Sancov

Alexei is a Junior at Northgate High School in Concord area of the Bay Area just minutes from the Cal campus. As some of you here know, he is from Moldova and swam in Olympic trials for that country.

Yesterday in the North Coast California Swimming Championships he did a nice double in the 200 and 500 free. His 1:33.9 in the 200 free just miss breaking the record of another Bay Area local (Livermore/Pleasanton Seahawks) swimmer Maxine Rooney (sp?) who has just completed his Freshman year at Florida. Sancov has swum at numerous top meets in Iowa, Arizona recently. I seem to recall he may have some connections with top colleges already.

I assume Cal will keep recruiting another top prep breast stroker Reece Whitley of Pennsylvania and already has Mefford coming in this fall who has some very decent 100/200 free times among other events. So I am wondering if Dave Durden is interested in Sancov or is the latter already committed to a school but is not as yet officially listed as a commit in the 2018 class in Collegeswimming.com. Comments?
    Last edited by longseeker; 05-14-2017 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by longseeker View Post
    Alexei is a Junior at Northgate High School in Concord area of the Bay Area just minutes from the Cal campus. As some of you here know, he is from Moldova and swam in Olympic trials for that country.

Yesterday in the North Coast California Swimming Championships he did a nice double in the 200 and 500 free. His 1:33.9 in the 200 free just miss breaking the record of another Bay Area local (Livermore/Pleasanton Seahawks) swimmer Maxine Rooney (sp?) who has just completed his Freshman year at Florida. Sancov has swum at numerous top meets in Iowa, Arizona recently. I seem to recall he may have some connections with top colleges already.

I assume Cal will keep recruiting another top prep breast stroker Reece Whitley of Pennsylvania and already has Mefford coming in this fall who has some very decent 100/200 free times among other events. So I am wondering if Dave Durden is interested in Sancov or is the latter already committed to a school but is not as yet officially listed as a commit in the 2018 class in Collegeswimming.com. Comments?
    Cal is certainly in the hunt for Reece Whitley and I would wager that he is Dave's #1 target in the 2018 class. I think we have a decent shot at Reece as he comes from a family that values education (both parents are doctors). I would be very disappointed if Reece (who took Mandarin Chinese and advanced chemistry and algebra last year at Penn Charter) selects a school like Texas, Florida or Georgia where it is well accepted that attending class is optional for top swimmers.

As for Sancov, I know that he is on Dave's radar, but I have a gut feel that while there is little doubt of Alexei's swimming talent, the staff needs to see evidence that he can meet Cal's academic requirements and handle the school load if he joins the team.