Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draft

Draft

First mock draft I've seen that doesn't have Rabb going in the first round. Yes, I know it's USA Today but still. FWIW, DraftExpress has him going #20.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ick/101704668/

Have a feeling he's being undervalued by the pundits but given his rebounding stats and ability I'd like to think NBA GMs and scouts covet him. I'd take him over Zach Collins and Anigbogu myself.

I also think Lonzo Ball goes #1. Just brings a whole lot more to the table to me than Fultz. Only thing I see Fultz do better than Ball is score.

Fultz probably going first to Boston where he will be a shooting guard. They already have Thomas. He is the heart of their team. Without him they would not be in the conference finals. Ball is not a SG.

Lakers move up to the #2 pick. Apparently that five game win streak at the end of the season paid dividends big time

After watching Boston in the playoffs I would conclude they have slim to no chance of winning a championship as long as the Warriors and LeBron are at this level. They have a good coach, play pretty good D, have a lot of parts and IT has stepped it up but they don't have enough players who can win games like this. Fultz and Brown developing as he has shown gives them a shot- maybe not in the next year or two- but after

I don't think that Rabb will make it past the Blazers at 20, Lakers at 28 or Spurs at 30.
    I don't even think he'll fall to the Blazers. He's got an elite NBA skill--rebounding--and has huge upside.

Quote Originally Posted by Looperbear View Post
    I don't think that Rabb will make it past the Blazers at 20, Lakers at 28 or Spurs at 30.
    I don't even think he'll fall to the Blazers. He's got an elite NBA skill--rebounding--and has huge upside.
    That's what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Looperbear View Post
    It depends on the team and their needs. I think Rabb's range is 20-35. I don't expect him to fall past 30, but it wouldn't shock me. He's obviously a better prospect than that, but last season will make certain teams wonder a bit. What could have gone wrong for Rabb did go wrong--he didn't get noticeably stronger due to lack of weight training as a result of his mono and he had a coach that didn't know how to utilize him offensively. While he's not likely to be a star, he's potentially a valuable support player because of his high BBIQ, which is more rare for bigs, and his high level rebounding. I personally think his perimeter shot will come around. It's really going to be about the team fit for him.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    It depends on the team and their needs. I think Rabb's range is 20-35. I don't expect him to fall past 30, but it wouldn't shock me. He's obviously a better prospect than that, but last season will make certain teams wonder a bit. What could have gone wrong for Rabb did go wrong--he didn't get noticeably stronger due to lack of weight training as a result of his mono and he had a coach that didn't know how to utilize him offensively. While he's not likely to be a star, he's potentially a valuable support player because of his high BBIQ, which is more rare for bigs, and his high level rebounding. I personally think his perimeter shot will come around. It's really going to be about the team fit for him.
    He is a good college player, but not much of a pro prospect IMO. He is a rebounder who is not a rim protector, is not strong, cannot guard the perimeter, and has no developed offensive skills. Or at least he did not have any when he played at Cal, maybe he has developed in the last couple months. His upside is limited by his lack of athleticism. He might go higher than I would expect based on his high school reputation, but he compromised that reputation to some extent by coming back for a second year and not coming through. His 66% foul shooting would be a big red flag for me. On the positive side, he seems bright, so he probably understands his weaknesses and is working on them.

If this was ten years ago, he could sell himself as athletic low-post 4 who just needs some time in the weight room in order to compete. But the game has changed in a way that will be difficult for him.

Sluggo

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo_Cal View Post
    He is a good college player, but not much of a pro prospect IMO. He is a rebounder who is not a rim protector, is not strong, cannot guard the perimeter, and has no developed offensive skills. Or at least he did not have any when he played at Cal, maybe he has developed in the last couple months. His upside is limited by his lack of athleticism. He might go higher than I would expect based on his high school reputation, but he compromised that reputation to some extent by coming back for a second year and not coming through. His 66% foul shooting would be a big red flag for me. On the positive side, he seems bright, so he probably understands his weaknesses and is working on them.

If this was ten years ago, he could sell himself as athletic low-post 4 who just needs some time in the weight room in order to compete. But the game has changed in a way that will be difficult for him.

Sluggo
    Maybe. But, there are plenty of guys who have long careers who only real skill is rebounding. If he can continue to develop his jumper, and if it's a 3-pointer even better, he will play a long time.

2 guys that i think Ivan compares to are Joe Smith and Donyell Marshall. While they never lived up to their high draft positions, they had long and productive careers in the league. Sort of the same though. Long, not very athletic or strong, but decent skills and shooting ability. I disagree with sluggo that Ivan has no offensive skills. He's a decent midrange shooter.

A more modern comparison could be Kevon Looney for the dubs. Same strengths, good rebounder, decent shot, but obviously needs some time to develop. Looney would be getting PT if he played on a different team that wasnt so deep.
    Last edited by gobears725; 05-18-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    Maybe. But, there are plenty of guys who have long careers who only real skill is rebounding. If he can continue to develop his jumper, and if it's a 3-pointer even better, he will play a long time.
    Rebounding skill as exemplified in Tristan Thompson. Will Rabb be big enough, strong enough to joust with the likes of him? So far Ivan has not shown a lot of strength, the sort of strength it takes to move big guys out of the way.

I hope he develops to where he can do this, but it is hard to be sure he will.

On the other hand, he may well become a good shooter from behind the arc, a skill that Thompson, for example, does not have.

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    Rebounding skill as exemplified in Tristan Thompson. Will Rabb be big enough, strong enough to joust with the likes of him? So far Ivan has not shown a lot of strength, the sort of strength it takes to move big guys out of the way.

I hope he develops to where he can do this, but it is hard to be sure he will.

On the other hand, he may well become a good shooter from behind the arc, a skill that Thompson, for example, does not have.
    I was kinda thinking Udonis Haslem. Good rebounder (Ivan could be even better, but as you note, he needs to get a lot stronger). Udonis is also a very good post defender, especially for his size. Ivan will need to get stronger and show toughness that we have not yet seen to get on Udonis' level. Udonis also developed a nice 14-18 footer as his career progressed, too.

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo_Cal View Post

Sluggo
    I could see Rabb as a Taj Gibson with more offensive ability, but less defense. Gibson is going to be a 10+ season guy in the League.

You're right, the game has changed so much in the last decade. Everyone is trying to combat small-ball and find the next Draymond Green. Problem is, he's somewhat of a unicorn that plays in the right system with the right players.
    Last edited by tsubamoto2001; 05-18-2017 at 03:19 PM.

Rabb will IMO be a great pro. He's such a natural rebounder, great second bounce quickness, exceptional hands, ambidextrous, high basketball IQ, etc. His face up game is improving and will continue to improve. Injuries really slowed him last year. He doesn't get mono and he plays with an extra 10lbs of muscle.

Give him 2-3 seasons and he'll be a contributor on a good NBA team.

Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    Rabb will IMO be a great pro. He's such a natural rebounder, great second bounce quickness, exceptional hands, ambidextrous, high basketball IQ, etc. His face up game is improving and will continue to improve. Injuries really slowed him last year. He doesn't get mono and he plays with an extra 10lbs of muscle.

Give him 2-3 seasons and he'll be a contributor on a good NBA team.
    +1 -- He has extraordinary low post moves, which he was unable to demonstrate much here because of the other deficiencies of the team's offense, which criminally hindered him